Stolen Land Rovers

SiWhite

3, USA system I think they have a different colour/type each year so obvious to everyone with eyes that the car has no tax/mot etc -I am sure someone can confirm this, the police would not even need a computer, you could of course forge plates I guess, so no I have not fallen into any trap mine or otherwise.

Hi its not the plates that are changed, its a sticker that go's in the top middle of the plate that changes colour with the date of license

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bump this to the top again - significant spate of Defender thefts at the moment in south Oxfordshire / West Berkshire. One guy found his rear quarterlight on his drive so it's clear how access is gained.

Please REVERSE PARK TIGHT AGAINST A WALL if you do nothing else!

But Has it helped you get all the bits for your landy build??rolleyes.gif

Let's hope not. I'm always very careful to source my parts from reputable dealers and they come from crash damaged vehicles. Clearly buying parts from Ebay is more difficult.....

I'm a vehicle recovery operator for Durham, North Yorkshire and Cleveland Police forces.

We recover a huge amount of stolen vehicles. Cars, bikes, wagons, boats and caravans, diggers and trailers. At least two a day. Anything from a kids mini-moto to an ExTec crusher. The majority are old Corsa's and the like that have been joy-rided in, but occasionally we get top line motors. Ferrari's, Astons, Lambo's etc. Some have been ringed/cloned to an exceptionally high standard (in particular an Audi Q7, that had work done the dealers say wasn't possible to carry out).

We also carry out a lot of effecting entry procedures for the police, customs or for customers when keys are lost or locked in their cars. We get trained by the manufacturers on how to do this. There are very very few vehicles available that we cannot open up completely damage free, nearly all have a 'back door', a design fault which can be exploited to bypass factory security (Disco 3 and 4 are easier than Disco 1 :)). I could drive away a new (and dead-locked) Merc S600 in under ten minutes, completely damage free, without the keys.

One thing we've learned through this work: Stealing a vehicle is not difficult. We have recovered cars from multi-storey and underground car parks, locked cars out of containers and rail carriages,, farm buildings and stable blocks, places you can't get a truck anywhere near. We've removed a locked 110 from a 7 foot walled corner, boxed in 3 cars deep without moving the other cars. But the only sure-fire way of getting that vehicle back, is to fit a good quality TRACKER.

(Not one of them cheap sms/sim card text ones).

I'm a vehicle recovery operator for Durham, North Yorkshire and Cleveland Police forces.

We recover a huge amount of stolen vehicles. Cars, bikes, wagons, boats and caravans, diggers and trailers. At least two a day. Anything from a kids mini-moto to an ExTec crusher. The majority are old Corsa's and the like that have been joy-rided in, but occasionally we get top line motors. Ferrari's, Astons, Lambo's etc. Some have been ringed/cloned to an exceptionally high standard (in particular an Audi Q7, that had work done the dealers say wasn't possible to carry out).

We also carry out a lot of effecting entry procedures for the police, customs or for customers when keys are lost or locked in their cars. We get trained by the manufacturers on how to do this. There are very very few vehicles available that we cannot open up completely damage free, nearly all have a 'back door', a design fault which can be exploited to bypass factory security (Disco 3 and 4 are easier than Disco 1 smile.gif). I could drive away a new (and dead-locked) Merc S600 in under ten minutes, completely damage free, without the keys.

One thing we've learned through this work: Stealing a vehicle is not difficult. We have recovered cars from multi-storey and underground car parks, locked cars out of containers and rail carriages,, farm buildings and stable blocks, places you can't get a truck anywhere near. We've removed a locked 110 from a 7 foot walled corner, boxed in 3 cars deep without moving the other cars. But the only sure-fire way of getting that vehicle back, is to fit a good quality TRACKER.

(Not one of them cheap sms/sim card text ones).

Totaly aggree, not a lot of people realise that the price of "Real" Trackers has come down loads since they first came out a basic Tracker Retreive can be brought and fitted for around £150 now and its only £7.50 per month to subscribe, well worth it in my mind, stops it going out the port in a container!!

Jason.

Wanted to bump this to the top again - significant spate of Defender thefts at the moment in south Oxfordshire / West Berkshire.

I think this spreads to North Hampshire too. I get told (by our cleaner***) to park the Landrovers out of sight of the road every now and again.

*** She sees a lot of people during a day and prefers talking to cleaning!