Stolen Land Rovers

SiWhite

I'm not mucking about any longer, I've just ordered my tracker which will be fitted in ten days time. Seems it is really the only way to get some of my bits back.

I'm just taking my sleeping bag and some food out to the landy to wait out the ten days!

Any tracker that is guaranteed to work inside a container, operating on radio frequency as well as GPS and SMS.

Of those available, there's maybe only three or four that fit the bill. All ports now have fixed scanners at entry and exit points, if a container goes through with an active tracker inside, it'll get stopped.

Those that use a sim card rely on having a phone signal to operate. Would these work inside a container, or an underground car park, or in a hanger? Not likely. Most of these type require an external aerial too (or fixed inside a window), something a toerag would spot and just cut off.

This has got me thinking,

If I remove the ECU from the vehicle does it make it harder to steal? Or will it mean that the car wont lock?

Chris

You could remove the ECU and lock the doors manually. But that won't stop someone winching it onto a tilt+slide and driving off with it. Nor someone with a knuckleboom and a damage free kit lifting it out of your garden!

You are better off putting a couple really big bolts into the concrete and securing it around the chassis with a nice half-inch thick cable.

1" thick steel plate - £30

10x Thunderbolts - £100

3' of 16mm chain - £50

Decent Disclok - £100

Look on your face when you realise they gassed the chain off in 30 seconds -

Priceless.

Tracker Horizon gets my money. £450 to fit and £350 for as long as you own the vehicle, or annual subscription.

We've seen so much stuff recovered that has had trackers on, it's got to be worth it.

As for the SMS/GPS sim card trackers:

http://www.thejammerstore.com/handheld-gps-jammer-gj02-p-152.html

Renders them useless before the car is even moved.

Something like this: http://www.tracker.c...etails/Car.aspx

Would the cheapest one be any good?

Ross,

Clearly you need Landy to stick it on first!!! although with the amount of Kit you are looking at I am still convinced you have decided to build your own!!!! I have noticed that recently that a lot of fitters are discounting fitting of trackers, and as I said in the above post you can pick one up for around £160.00 fitted for The basic tracker retreive:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item19b9c34428

The subscription is only £7.50 per month but you can't subscribe to the lifetime deal, but at that I think its a good deal and a lot less than I have paid in the past.

I beleive that Tracker is the only one that uses VHF hence the bit that Simon put about recovery from a container. You can add the GPS/GSM to it however this means that it needs to be in the open/phone signal for you to get a fix and as you know around here that is hit and miss!!!

Anyway IMHO if you kept the car for 3 years it would work out at £12 a month, well worth it I think if it gave you a chance of recovering your pride and joy. Lots of Landys that are being nicked at the moment are not being broken by pikies but stolen by gangs to order and being shipped overseas!!!

Jason.

Mike, yes the basic Tracker is well worth the money.

I've got to say I have no affiliation with Tracker at all, I'm just convinced that, pound-for-pound, they are the most effective way of recovering stolen vehicles.

Si, top result, well done!

We got two new rollers from a container at Teesport last week, destined for Greece. With them was some small plant, all new, total value nearly £70k. All pinched.

I spent the bast part of yesterday installing additional locks to my 110.

I decided due to the recent number of stolen Defenders (another one this morning I see :( ), overkill was probably a good thing.

I went for locks on all doors ala Lonewolf Transglobal.

Not pretty I know but hopefully enough to make a potential thief look elsewhere (for something a little less difficult to get in to)

Tracker about to be fitted so hopefully I can sleep (safer) at nights now.

I got them from a seller on eBay.

He had one listed so I sent him a message asking if he had any more.

I ended up getting 3 of them (his last ones), delivered for £60.00

They are also available from Screwfix for around £35 each

Or half that price from Toolstation

They were actually quite easy to fit and bolted through the steel frame of the doors.

I fitted an extra metal strengthening plate behind the rear panel just to make sire it can't be prized off where it bolts through the ali side skin.

They are not pretty (even when painted) and stand out like a sore thumb - Exactly what you want!

The other side I like to this lock is that it makes your rear door very identifyable and difficlult to resell as who is going to want a rear door with 3 holes down the side.

Next on the purchase list me thinks.

Thanks for your time

It's not just the rear door - I've got these on every door :o

I spent the bast part of yesterday installing additional locks to my 110.

I decided due to the recent number of stolen Defenders (another one this morning I see :( ), overkill was probably a good thing.

I went for locks on all doors ala Lonewolf Transglobal.

Not pretty I know but hopefully enough to make a potential thief look elsewhere (for something a little less difficult to get in to)

Tracker about to be fitted so hopefully I can sleep (safer) at nights now.

Unfutunately you can't fit those to a 110 SW.

It would appear there are more thieves out there than you think! The cost of the Tracker is picked up by yourself,the insurance company offer a very dubious small discount that then allows them to impose another excuse into your policy as to why your claim might just be rejected when your pride and joy is stolen (which you probably take great care of or you wouldn't have bothered fitting a Tracker at your own expense).To rub a little salt into the wound,when your Tracker equipped vehicle is found in an industrial building/container along with half a million pounds worth of non Tracker equipped vehicles, the insurance company must just rub their hands with pure delight,at the gift horse you have just given them,of course at your expense. I do have a Tracker fitted to own car but cannot wait for the day when some brighter person than me takes the insurance company's to court for a percentage of the recovered cost of the other vehicles found due to your own Tracker,as after all that information as to where your car is belongs to you and not them.

It would appear there are more thieves out there than you think! The cost of the Tracker is picked up by yourself,the insurance company offer a very dubious small discount that then allows them to impose another excuse into your policy as to why your claim might just be rejected when your pride and joy is stolen (which you probably take great care of or you wouldn't have bothered fitting a Tracker at your own expense).To rub a little salt into the wound,when your Tracker equipped vehicle is found in an industrial building/container along with half a million pounds worth of non Tracker equipped vehicles, the insurance company must just rub their hands with pure delight,at the gift horse you have just given them,of course at your expense. I do have a Tracker fitted to own car but cannot wait for the day when some brighter person than me takes the insurance company's to court for a percentage of the recovered cost of the other vehicles found due to your own Tracker,as after all that information as to where your car is belongs to you and not them.

A very cynical view of things, I don't think the point of a tracker is to help the insurance companies save money, if you followed that tack you wouldn't bother to get one fitted.

I have never heard of an insurance company not paying out because you have a tracker fitted or ever had a clause that says that a tracker would mean they wouldn't pay out.

My thought is that I spend a lot of time and effort getting my Landy's the way I want them, blood sweat and tears went into the rebuild of my Series One. I know both Landies very well and have invested a lot in keeping it that way, not just bits bolted on but servicing maintenance etc and I would never get that back in a cheque from the insurance company!!!

Anything I can do to stand a chance of getting my landie's back should the physical devices fail and a toe rag gets their hands on it is well worth it in my book. Should the Tracker lead the police find some other cars, again I think this is great as this increases the chance of finding physical evidence and putting the people who inconvenienced me behind bars.

I don't have any association with Tracker, my introduction was a couple of years ago when a friend's Landy we had just spent a year rebuilding got pinched it was heart breaking but great when he got a call 3 days later saying they had found it in a container of "Scrap" in Southampton it would never have been seen again if it was not for his tracker as it was buried behind a load of engines destined for Africa!! Got one fitted the next day and as I say the prices have come down now to a level that you IMHO would be daft not to take the precaution

Jason.

A very cynical view of things, I don't think the point of a tracker is to help the insurance companies save money, if you followed that tack you wouldn't bother to get one fitted.

I have never heard of an insurance company not paying out because you have a tracker fitted or ever had a clause that says that a tracker would mean they wouldn't pay out.

My thought is that I spend a lot of time and effort getting my Landy's the way I want them, blood sweat and tears went into the rebuild of my Series One. I know both Landies very well and have invested a lot in keeping it that way, not just bits bolted on but servicing maintenance etc and I would never get that back in a cheque from the insurance company!!!

Anything I can do to stand a chance of getting my landie's back should the physical devices fail and a toe rag gets their hands on it is well worth it in my book. Should the Tracker lead the police find some other cars, again I think this is great as this increases the chance of finding physical evidence and putting the people who inconvenienced me behind bars.

I don't have any association with Tracker, my introduction was a couple of years ago when a friend's Landy we had just spent a year rebuilding got pinched it was heart breaking but great when he got a call 3 days later saying they had found it in a container of "Scrap" in Southampton it would never have been seen again if it was not for his tracker as it was buried behind a load of engines destined for Africa!! Got one fitted the next day and as I say the prices have come down now to a level that you IMHO would be daft not to take the precaution

Jason.

^^^ wot he said

Small price to pay in the bigger picture