Stolen Land Rovers

SiWhite

Should your vehicle be recovered as a result of someone else's tracker how would you feel?

:unsure: Errr like my Tracker wasn't working :blink: But if you mean in the full meaning of your question

1: From an individual point of view very lucky indeed!

2: If i was an insurance company, very lucky indeed!

Errrr kind of think you missed my point :P

If you have been insured based on the information that you gave them and that information says you have a Tracker fitted then should we say for example that the Tracker was not working eg you have asked them to switch it off for servicing or because it kept on giving false alarms then i simply suggest you might have a problem. As an example my system did have a problem about 2 years ago and it kept on giving false alarms,every time the car moved,this prompts a phone call to myself from the operators. The system operators wanted to turn the system off until repair but at my insistance left it on as i was unsure about the insurance issue. I now notice 2 years on that if i ring and ask them to disable the system for any reason they now Quote to me an obviously scripted response about it may invalidate my insurance. That shows what has changed in 2 years. I have no intention in getting into an argument about how great your insurance is compared to mine as i hope i never have to find out if you win or loose! Simply pointing out the buyer beware. Take it or leave it its your choice and your money.For myself im more than happy that im sorted thanks. :P

My thanks go to Si for looking into my own case ;) - if and when my insurance cheque comes through this month, I've seriously given some thought to whether I really want another 90 ... it was part of the family and even though I knew it was vunerable to theft it was really painful to have it stolen. Reading the posts about trackers has made feel that this would be the best option ... does anyone with a tracker advertise the fact? (i.e tracker fitted!!) or would that be self defeating!! :o

My thanks go to Si for looking into my own case wink.gif - if and when my insurance cheque comes through this month, I've seriously given some thought to whether I really want another 90 ... it was part of the family and even though I knew it was vunerable to theft it was really painful to have it stolen. Reading the posts about trackers has made feel that this would be the best option ... does anyone with a tracker advertise the fact? (i.e tracker fitted!!) or would that be self defeating!! ohmy.gif

Langers, don't loose the faith, you will learn to love again!!! and this time just ad some bits to help you keep it!! landies are great fun and there is nothing quiet like them, espicialy as a true family car!! If you do go for something else I bet you will get one again, so dont waist your money on something else!!

Jason.

My thanks go to Si for looking into my own case ;) - if and when my insurance cheque comes through this month, I've seriously given some thought to whether I really want another 90 ... it was part of the family and even though I knew it was vunerable to theft it was really painful to have it stolen. Reading the posts about trackers has made feel that this would be the best option ... does anyone with a tracker advertise the fact? (i.e tracker fitted!!) or would that be self defeating!! :o

No, don't put any stickers about alarm or tracker systems on the vehicle, if the badguys don't know it's there, they most likely won't look for it & cause extra damage.

I spent the bast part of yesterday installing additional locks to my 110.

I decided due to the recent number of stolen Defenders (another one this morning I see :( ), overkill was probably a good thing.

Tell me about it, I'm starting to get a bit barry noid now so will be investing in a clutch claw asap. Heard good things about them.

Also need to get a new alarm fitted as I lost my fob while parked at a 45 degree angle in a muddy ditch. Opened the door and a multitude of things that were not attached just poured out into the mud never to be seen again (including the front to my stereo) :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

My intention is to buy a cheap-ass tracker from china

(check this one out for an example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vehicle-Real-time-GPS-tracking-device-Car-gps-tracker_W0QQitemZ250561791028QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems?hash=item3a56a58434)

That way I haven't invested too much money in case the monkeys find it and rip it out. Gotta make sure it's well concealed though. You can also do some crazy cool things with them, the possibilities are endless!

(it can even cut the engine off after a set ammount of time after being stolen, text you long/lat, set of an alarm.. it even has a microphone- you can call it and listen to the theives!!)

The problem with the cheap ones is that they only work with the phone network. If you put the vehicle in a shipping container, the phone won't work, until it gets the other end, which is too late! You can buy cheap phone jammers for under £15, which would also render it useless. The pukka Tracker units use VHF radio, so are less prone to jamming.

I must admit it is so cheap that the install will cost you more than than the unit - that you will only catch the stupid may be a minor issue!

The ringing team in Colchester a few years ago used to steal cars to order and then dump them for collection in a small public carpark. If the vehicle was not recovered for 2-3 days they'd collect it for breaking or ringing, as they assumed there wasn't a Tracker fitted. They were eventually grassed up by an ex-wife.

(check this one out for an example: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...item3a56a58434)

That way I haven't invested too much money in case the monkeys find it and rip it out. Gotta make sure it's well concealed though. You can also do some crazy cool things with them, the possibilities are endless!

(it can even cut the engine off after a set ammount of time after being stolen, text you long/lat, set of an alarm.. it even has a microphone- you can call it and listen to the theives!!)

Good Luck, I have an old Crook Lock you can also have if you want it's also next to useless..... GPS/GSM can be detected and blocked easily the unit has very limited back up power so they park the landy somewhere (in the woods for instance) pull the battery leave it there for a couple of days to check it's not got a real tracker then brake it or ship it somewhere, or simply just load it in a container and ship it, GSM is not a lot of good in an ISO...

or spend £60 more and get a Tracker...

(check this one out for an example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vehicle-Real-time-GPS-tracking-device-Car-gps-tracker_W0QQitemZ250561791028QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems?hash=item3a56a58434)

In case you never read post #137: http://www.thejammerstore.com/handheld-gps-jammer-gj02-p-152.html

You won't be doing any crazy cool things with it, as this £20 device renders it useless before the vehicle turns a wheel.

does anyone with a tracker advertise the fact? (i.e tracker fitted!!) or would that be self defeating!! :o

No, but not for Western's reasons. My thinking is, if they're going to steal my property, I want to give the police every chance to catch them. If they don't know it's got a Tracker on, there's a much better chance of them being caught red-handed.

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this on the Wiltshire Police website - looks like an organised gang are at work;

Wiltshire police have seen a recent increase in the theft of Land Rover Defenders across Wiltshire but predominantly from rural locations. Some of the vehicles have been recovered burnt out, but others have not been located.

The vehicles being stolen are predominantly L, M, N and P registration plated vehicles, which were all manufactured prior to immobilisers being factory fitted as standard.

Sergeant Andrea Faircloth from the rural crime team said: ‘These types of vehicles are relied on heavily by members of the rural and farming communities, therefore these thefts are not only inconvenient but they also disrupt their livelihood. The rural crime team would like to hear from anyone with information regarding these thefts.’

The Wiltshire Police Community Affairs Department have issued the following advice:

• Secure your vehicle at all times, even when parked up outside your home

• If you don’t have any security features built into your vehicle, invest in some additional ones. Make sure the products conform to British standards, a good start would be to have a look at the Sold Secure website

• If you cannot park your vehicle in a garage or behind closed gates, park your vehicle in a well lit area in the curtilage of your property, preferably in an area where it is overlooked

• Having a full tank of fuel provides thieves with more opportunities

• Make sure your number plates are clean and easily visible, this makes it easier for police to spot it if stolen, and for witnesses to clearly see it if it is seen in suspicious circumstances

• Always report anything suspicious as soon as possible

The rural crime team are based throughout Wiltshire and would like to hear from anyone with any information relating to these or any crimes, they can be contacted on 0845 408 7000 ext 723548 or ruralcrimeteam@wiltshire.pnn.police.uk, or if an incident is in progress dial

I also saw a police report from South Oxfordshire saying there had been 8 stolen in the Vale since Xmas!!

I've just had a call from a mate.

Apparently a white Defender (possibly a 110) was being chased through Guildford town centre last night by approximately 15 police cars! Several police cars were damaged in the pursuit.

I so hope it was stolen and the driver knicked!

Hi all,

I'd just thought I'd copy this here, it was posted on my club's facebook page last week, trying to get some dates:

CAUTION TO ALL LANDY OWNERS IN East Grinstead, Forest Row!!!

there have been 4 stolen in past 3 weeks, including a forest ranger landy with a dog in, and one towed off a drive in the night and trailered away!!!

please be careful series landys are being taken as well!!!!!

Cheers Ruu

I am away at the moment but got a message from the wife today "You have got a letter from the Police in the post this morning" why what have I done...... sad.gif .

She scanned it this evening and sent it to me, good to see that the even the local police (Non traffic/Landy owners or SiWhite) are taking it seriously espicialy as they are only open from M-F 09:00 - 16:00 (outside of that there is no crime!!!) as for the getting pulled over bit, I really don't mind if it helps catch the culprits.

There has also been a big increase of ANPR checks on the country lanes around here which is also nice to see.

Jason.

post-15513-126988777208_thumb.jpg

post-15513-12698877825_thumb.jpg

keep your trucks safe boys and girls.

Land rover thiefts are on the raise again as i read in the farmers weekly.

ages K, L, N, M. Are the ones going targeted now..

So keep them locked up and nothing of any value in them.

Cheers

Sam

Hi All,

Im posting as advised by "Western" to let you know about my Landy that was stolen and recovered :D the CHAV's that stole it painted it red and removed the V.I.N. plate, so I have had a bit of work to do to get it back to how I want it to look and maybe the hardest thing or most time consuming was getting a new V.I.N. plate, anyway a story of hope?

Good Luck

Paul

Hi All,

Im posting as advised by "Western" to let you know about my Landy that was stolen and recovered biggrin.gif the CHAV's that stole it painted it red and removed the V.I.N. plate, so I have had a bit of work to do to get it back to how I want it to look and maybe the hardest thing or most time consuming was getting a new V.I.N. plate, anyway a story of hope?

Good Luck

Paul

Great news Paul biggrin.gif how did you find it?/get it back?