Stolen Land Rovers

SiWhite

TWOC vs Theft;

The definition of theft is; "the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the INTENT to permanently deprive'.

The offence of TWOC was introduced as loads of 80s joyriders would be arrested after stealing a car, and in Court they would state they had no intention to permanently deprive, they just wanted to drive it around their estate for a few hours.

The key to all this is the intent - TWOC is when the vehicle going to be stripped for parts, sold, burnt out etc (in which case the intent would have been to permanently deprive the owner). Theft is when it was going to be parked up and left in good condition.

TWOC becomes 'aggravated' when damage is caused to something (including the stolen vehicle), injury to anyone other then the thief etc.

There is no change from a theft to a TWOC just because the vehicle is recovered. The level of offence is something to be determined in interview and in consultation with the CPS.

A failed attempt to nick my 90 last night in fleet, hants.....starter motor is knackered and I was waiting for the new one to arrive..... but they did'nt know that did they..... so they proceeded to smashed the steering lock/ignition to bits....B@sT@rds!!! Team of 4 caught on camera but not identifiable.

Anyone know where to get an ingnition/steering lock assembly and how easy to fit?

It was sitting on the forecourt of my local garage at the time, would the garage be liable as it was under their care?

Pi$$ed off in Fleet. :angry2:

Cheers

I would think the garage should have some sort of insurance for any damage caused to a vehicle left in there care....As its there responsibility to keep you're vehicle safe...Let us know how you get on... would be interested for future reference

It was sitting on the forecourt of my local garage at the time, would the garage be liable as it was under their care?

Pi$$ed off in Fleet. :angry2:

Cheers

My 110 was nicked from the forecourt of a garage and it was settled on thier insurance if thats any help.

Kris.

Evening All,

Some on this forum might know that I'm a Police Officer. My Force is currently being hit very hard with thefts of Defenders. The half-county area I work has one stolen most nights. I've been asked to assist with my knowlege of the vehicles and links to the Land Rover community, with a view to getting any information possible on methods of theft, routes of vehicle disposal etc.

If you, or anyone you know, has some tenuous information which might prove useful, I'd love to hear it. Clearly I'm not saying that anyone on the forum steals Land Rovers :P but if you've had a vehicle stolen, or you know someone who has, I'd be really grateful of your assistance. I'm particularly interested in whether vehicles are being sold whole or broken.

I'm sure a few on this forum have suffered our collective worst nightmare - if you could spare a few moments to PM me details of the method used in the theft, I'm sure all Oxfordshire's Landy owners would be grateful. Useful details would be - was there any signs of broken glass left? Have you seen any sign of the Landy or parts since? What security measures have thwarted an attempted theft and what haven't worked? Was the landy pre-TD5 (i.e factory immobiliser)? Were the keys stolen? What about any really unique bits? Are the more challenge-prepared wagons going, or is it mostly standard vehicles?

If a couple of forum 'big guns' could post just to confirm my line of work so folk might feel better about PM'ing a stranger with these sensative details, I'd be grateful.

There was a spate of local thefts of just 90s here in yorkshire,

they were all carried out by one person who lived on a remote farm, they would steal the vehicle using a recovery truck and just drag them on, then once they had them they were stripped and sold via ebay.

The only reason the local police knew he was the culprit for all the missing vehicles was due to guy keeping all the vin plates in his garage.

TWOC vs Theft;

The definition of theft is; "the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the INTENT to permanently deprive'.

The offence of TWOC was introduced as loads of 80s joyriders would be arrested after stealing a car, and in Court they would state they had no intention to permanently deprive, they just wanted to drive it around their estate for a few hours.

The key to all this is the intent - TWOC is when the vehicle going to be stripped for parts, sold, burnt out etc (in which case the intent would have been to permanently deprive the owner). Theft is when it was going to be parked up and left in good condition.

TWOC becomes 'aggravated' when damage is caused to something (including the stolen vehicle), injury to anyone other then the thief etc.

There is no change from a theft to a TWOC just because the vehicle is recovered. The level of offence is something to be determined in interview and in consultation with the CPS.

As Max-ie has correctly pointed out, the third paragraph is the wrong way round. TWOC is committed when a vehicle is used and left in good condition. Theft is when it can never be returned to an owner. That'll teach me to post when I'm tired!

So Si, has this thread been of use to you in carrying out your duties ?

Mo

Definitely Mo. I've moved jobs since this thread started, but the multitude of PMs and replies I received contributed to an intelligence briefing document that was distributed throughout Thames Valley Police. We also visited some of the local Pay and Play sites, taking out 110 for a bit of publicity, and distributed some anti theft tips to the owners while subtly checking chassis numbers etc for anything stolen. The frustrating thing is that, unless caught in the act, anyone found in possession of stolen parts would likely have bought them in good faith. I also wrote an article that was published in the Shire LRC magazine which I think some people found useful. Overall, I hope this has highlighted the problem we've faced - and it certainly appears to have slowed considerably in this part of the world.

I wish there was a way of sharing some of the anti theft tips without publishing on the net what you had done!

I will gladly PM the article I wrote to anyone with more than 20 posts - post here to request a copy. Much of it is common sense but there might be something of use for everyone in there.

Definitely Mo. I've moved jobs since this thread started, but the multitude of PMs and replies I received contributed to an intelligence briefing document that was distributed throughout Thames Valley Police. We also visited some of the local Pay and Play sites, taking out 110 for a bit of publicity, and distributed some anti theft tips to the owners while subtly checking chassis numbers etc for anything stolen. The frustrating thing is that, unless caught in the act, anyone found in possession of stolen parts would likely have bought them in good faith. I also wrote an article that was published in the Shire LRC magazine which I think some people found useful. Overall, I hope this has highlighted the problem we've faced - and it certainly appears to have slowed considerably in this part of the world.

I will gladly PM the article I wrote to anyone with more than 20 posts - post here to request a copy. Much of it is common sense but there might be something of use for everyone in there.

I guess that counts me out the Mr White, I'll ask again when I reach 20 posts as I would be interested in the article.

Edited by Miserableolgit
Please do not post entirely in UPPER CASE