Stronger half shaft on a Series - Possibilities

henk

I run Kam 24/24 spline shafts in mine with a pegged ARB RD128, Special Tracks and 200Tdi so far so good. I've put about 8000 miles and lots of off road hours on them so far. Strong enough to blast a few diffs apart and survive before I went with pegging. I got them on here 2nd hand too.

KAM still sell them.

Fronts well best bet short of a different axle or re-mortgaging for SeriesTrek is just to drive a little bit sensibly and stick to genuine 24 spline outer shafts.

I run Kam 24/24 spline shafts in mine with a pegged ARB RD128, Special Tracks and 200Tdi so far so good. I've put about 8000 miles and lots of off road hours on them so far. Strong enough to blast a few diffs apart and survive before I went with pegging. I got them on here 2nd hand too.

KAM still sell them.

Fronts well best bet short of a different axle or re-mortgaging for SeriesTrek is just to drive a little bit sensibly and stick to genuine 24 spline outer shafts.

I am installing shortly 2 LSD's on my 88 but they are 10 splines and it seems they are impossible to convert to 24 splines so driving sensible seems to be the only solution for the moment. To be honest, the 88 will only be used for greenlaning.

me too !

i need stronger shafts on the back of my swb after fitting a slipper.

if enough of us want them why dont we see about getting a batch made?

Last time I enquired KAM had them on the shelf for Series Rear. I'm more than happy with mine, if I need stronger then Series axles aren't what I need.

I would love to have Series-Tek like fronts on 24/24 spline but cost is prohibative however I would pay a few hundred pounds to keep it outwardly original Series whilst significantly stronger internally. Anymore than that and I'll live with it as is. My late 24 spline axles seem to be holding up to the abuse of 5 years of 235/85R16 Grizzlys and now Special Tracks and there is a TrueTrac in there too.

My advice is get off the power when the front starts hopping because you are only going to break things then.

Waste of time putting 10 spline uprated shafts in in my opinion when 24's are available off the shelf. You need to also think about uprating diffs as well as I've blown soooooooooooo many diffs up over the years! 24 spline diffs are available easily, so why re-invent the wheel? If you're current diffs arent compatible then sell them on, and get hold of some that are.

I'm now running pegged KAM 4.75 R+P's with ARB's front and rear. Rear shafts are Kam ones, and front ones are standard late series. However I've experimented with front shafts, and the long front one is one that I made up a while back.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
Waste of time putting 10 spline uprated shafts in in my opinion when 24's are available off the shelf. You need to also think about uprating diffs as well as I've blown soooooooooooo many diffs up over the years! 24 spline diffs are available easily, so why re-invent the wheel? If you're current diffs arent compatible then sell them on, and get hold of some that are.

I'm now running pegged KAM 4.75 R+P's with ARB's front and rear. Rear shafts are Kam ones, and front ones are standard late series. However I've experimented with front shafts, and the long front one is one that I made up a while back.

Jon

Have thought about going 24 spline in the rear.But as i Have a new 10 spline slipper i think it would be more cost effective to get uprated 10 spline shafts than sell the diff at a great loss and buy a 24 spline slipper new shafts and drive members.

Jon

Something else to consider with 24 spline shafts - P38 4 pin diff's. Don't know if the carrier would work with the 4.7 R&P, could be worth a look.

what about getting the 10 spline shafts cryo treated?

Seems to be all the rage on pirate and the prices they quote for cryo'ing shafts and diffs looks to be extremely low compared to uprated shafts and diffs.

dont know if you can get this done over here in the Uk though.