Bumper Removal

item 2 clips on to the bottom face of the front chassis legs, maybe the clip is busted or well corroded to let the blots unscrew.

:( I had lots of headache getting my standard bumper off to replace it with winch bumpers. You need to insert a screw or a chisel to lock it from rotating! Need loads of patience too!! ;) . The nr 2 Ralph is talking about is the culprit for sure!!

Clip nuts are always a pain in the arse. My preferred means of removal is by drilling the bolt heads out. Centre pop the bolt head and start with 3mm drill then work up until the head comes away, can always persuade them with a cold chisel when you get up to thread core diameter.

Have fun :D

Rob

Sorry to hijack the thread, but i'm trying to get my bumper bolts out to get an A-Bar on. The bolts come out OK but i'm afraid that the small plate they screw into will fall into the chassis and i'll never get it back. How do i keep the plate ready to take the bolts again when there's only the tiny hole in the side of the chassis to get a finger in?

Ta

DAVE

Sorry to hijack the thread, but i'm trying to get my bumper bolts out to get an A-Bar on. The bolts come out OK but i'm afraid that the small plate they screw into will fall into the chassis and i'll never get it back. How do i keep the plate ready to take the bolts again when there's only the tiny hole in the side of the chassis to get a finger in?

Ta

DAVE

They will inevitably fall in, but are quite easy to fish out immediately. It helps if you have washed out the area first washing away the mud with plenty of water, and have a set of fingers available for dropping the long bolt through the hole once you've lined up everything...

Practice makes perfect...

:huh: In my early days, I designed a metal hook and when I lost it, fished it up. It is some of these petty petty tasks that takes so much time you regret even attempting to remove the bumper. Use a hook (not fish hook mate) Be patient and it will evitably come up! :P

take the rubber bung out the end of the chassis rail and use two screwdrivers to manipulate the part up, then use the lower screwdriver through the bung hole as a pivot to locate it onto the end of the bolt, then turn the bolt 1/2 drive and long extensions help after removing the plastic grill

They will inevitably fall in, but are quite easy to fish out immediately. It helps if you have washed out the area first washing away the mud with plenty of water, and have a set of fingers available for dropping the long bolt through the hole once you've lined up everything...

Practice makes perfect...

Thanks

All sorted now although it helps not to have sausage fingers! It turns out the A-bar i bought has unusual spotlight clamp locations and so i'm having to send my spots back to Simmonites for smaller one's (and i had to butcher the rad grill to get it back on. Grrrrr

Here's hoping smaller lamps fit!

Dave

I fitted the new bumper yesterday but what an arse of a job...the bumper bolts were all seized, although removing the old threaded block was dead easy with a screwdriver stuck in to stop it turning. The clips were totally fooked!

LR wanted £16 per clip!, and did not even stock them but a local parts supplier sold the clip and block as a set which only cost £16 for two.

Getting the blocks into position was my biggest problem as i could not get the bolt thread started. After what felt like an eternity I got one started and then the other side went in nearly straight away!!

The HD FirstFour bumper looks spot on thouugh!!

Now just need to grind the steering guard so it fits between the 2 recovery points on the bottom of the bumper.

Just come to remove my standard bumper, but the bolts just seem to be turning? Are there meant to be captive nuts? How can i get to them as i cant see anything?

Also hat bolts/nuts are they? Im after getting replacements?

Cheers

When I tried to remove mine, 2 sheared off, one was already sheared and the 4th. unscrewed.

There were no clips holding the "captives" in place. One bolt broke about an inch above the plate

stopping me wangling it out. A real pain cutting it off with a bare hacksaw blade.

I bought(!) four new bolts and nuts, drilled out what used to be tapped holes in the plates, and welded

the nuts on. Refitted with plenty of copperslip, but a bit of a fiddle to get them lined up with the bolt

holes.