Night Vision

Hi all

A few days ago the dipped beam headlights on our 300Tdi 90 failed. Having done some searhing on this and other forums, I cheked all the fuses, checked the wiring to the lights themselves and upon fiddling with the colum stalk thought this was the problem. Tried the check of hotwiring the three wires together and low and behold, the same simptoms - dash lights and sidelights on but still no dipped beam. They were working fine untill now but suddenly went. Any chnce it could be the (is this right) 'dim/dip' relay which was mentioned on here a while ago, and if so is it a dash out job to find? Cheers for any help

Any chnce it could be the (is this right) 'dim/dip' relay which was mentioned on here a while ago, and if so is it a dash out job to find? Cheers for any help

Yeah had exactly the same problem with my 300tdi a couple of weeks ago and it was indeed the dim/dip relay. it is the pink relay tucked behind the dash (lower right side just out of view). Dead easy to replace, pull old one out, push new one in. It was about £21.00 from LR.

If you remove the relay you will have to connect a couple of the terminals together so your lights work. I did this on mine, but can't remember which terminals you need to connect together.

To avoid trying to rewire things in the dash, I actually dismembered the relay and made up the link inside the now empty relay housing. :P

• 3 years later...

Hi

I have a 1996 Defender 110 300TDI. It is British Built/Spec in Perth, Western Australia.

My Headlamp dipped beam all of a sudden died. As a mechanic of 26 years I have checked the usual suspects (relays etc.) I have tried a new light switch and have power in/out of switch but not to the two 7.5 amp fuses for the dipped beam.

There is power out of the yellow relay when the headlamp switch is activated (one of the yellows under right side of fuse box).

Wanting to use over christmas but fast running out of options.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hi

Further to my post above, I went out this morning took out instrument cluster and pulled the pink relay. It already has the two-pin pink bypass relay fitted. Popped the top on it and put test light to it - no power.

I have again checked the indicator stalk and the headlamp switch (both new 400km ago) and have power in/out of switch. Headlamp relay has power in/out but have no power in the blue wire with red tracer anywhere. I really dont want to pull out my raptor dash to get to the wiring but may come.

There is no power in any of the blue/red wires anywhere I can access but all switches and relays functioning.

Everything else working fine, side lights, high beam, indicators etc. Dipped beam was working one minute and stopped the next.

Any additional thoughts would be gratefully received.