starting problems

hi all

I am sorry for posting a question that has undoubtably been posted before but i have read through an awful lot of posts and have not come up with the correct one

anyway.......my landy wont start the battery is ok although i now have it on charge, this morning I attempted to start her up, heated up the glow plugs for 30/45 secs then tried to turn her over the starter motor made all the correct noises (i think), but the engine would not start and eventually I drained the battery,

is this likely to be a glow plug or a starter motor problem?

by the way it is a 2.5n/a engine and my mechanical knowledge is limited, I would greatly appreciate some help?

all the best Marc

I love how all the cold-start threads pop up after every recent bout of cold weather :-)

I've just had the same problem with my N/A - despite fitting a new battery (a 1000 mch beast from X-eng) and plugs a month ago. It wouldn't start in temps of -5. The cranking was so slow that it was never going to happen - voltage read 12.16 on the new battery.

Annoyingly - I swapped the battery for the old less powerful one (which had been in the back of the truck since removal and therefore exposed to the same conditions - and it cranked first time!

Grr!

I shall be sending a stiff email to X-eng methinks.

I love how all the cold-start threads pop up after every recent bout of cold weather :-)

I've just had the same problem with my N/A - despite fitting a new battery (a 1000 mch beast from X-eng) and plugs a month ago. It wouldn't start in temps of -5. The cranking was so slow that it was never going to happen - voltage read 12.16 on the new battery.

Annoyingly - I swapped the battery for the old less powerful one (which had been in the back of the truck since removal and therefore exposed to the same conditions - and it cranked first time!

Grr!

i used to keep my older battery in the back for starting in cold weather as it inevitably ran the battery down. that worked quite well, although was only a temperary solution till i got a brand new battery.

someone (not sure who, but i dont think they were uk) mentioned some hotshot plugs or something which could go straight into a nad and worked like a dream.

might be worth a search/ someone with a good memory posting what i mean!

Well I did overhaul the whole plug system when the new ones went in a month ago. I'll have a poke around this weekend to check the earths - but even so, when I say my truck was cranking slowly...i mean it. I could feel each revolution! I'm pretty certain that if Defenders were equipped with cranking handles, I could have done a better job!

Grr!

Does it need a 'stiff email'? If there is a problem with any of our products or services - you only need to ask and we'll replace or refund as necessary. It's not as if we have deliberately swindled you?

Have you tried jump starting from another known good battery/vehicle? If that worked then the battery could either be faulty or just flat.

Measure the terminal voltage with the ignition off, then the vehicle running. Ignition off it should read over 12v and engine running, over 13.8v and less than 14.6v.

If the voltage is in the right range while the engine is running, but below 12v (having allowed sufficient time for the battery to charge) - then the battery may be faulty. If it's above 12v, the battery is probably OK - I would check the wiring - particularly the earth from the battery to the starter which people often forget. Otherwise, the problem is most likely with the alternator.

I had an email from a chap in the Ukraine last week who says how pleased he is with the batteries. "It's -12C and still starts my 200tdi Disco easily". So there is nothing inherently wrong with the batteries at low temperatures.

Si

Does it need a 'stiff email'? If there is a problem with any of our products or services - you only need to ask and we'll replace or refund as necessary. It's not as if we have deliberately swindled you?

Have you tried jump starting from another known good battery/vehicle? If that worked then the battery could either be faulty or just flat.

Measure the terminal voltage with the ignition off, then the vehicle running. Ignition off it should read over 12v and engine running, over 13.8v and less than 14.6v.

If the voltage is in the right range while the engine is running, but below 12v (having allowed sufficient time for the battery to charge) - then the battery may be faulty. If it's above 12v, the battery is probably OK - I would check the wiring - particularly the earth from the battery to the starter which people often forget. Otherwise, the problem is most likely with the alternator.

I had an email from a chap in the Ukraine last week who says how pleased he is with the batteries. "It's -12C and still starts my 200tdi Disco easily". So there is nothing inherently wrong with the batteries at low temperatures.

Si

Yes you're perfectly right. I do apologise for jumping to conclusions. When I typed that I was probably a still a little irritated at being late for work with the truck not starting. I appreciate there are many fundamentals that do need checking properly before getting on the high-horse and firing off the poison pen letters! I'll do what you suggest - I'm sure the problem lies within the grubbiness of the loom and has only been exacerbated by my ignorance!

Thanks for your advice!