td5....started then stopped!

I ended up going up to the plain yesterday. Gave the td5 a sight dunking and did around 60 miles no probs.

VERY cold last night...-7!

Started ok this morning left it ticking over,when i came out it had stopped. No whirring noises from the pump?

when i tried to re start it there is a yellow sign on the dash, bottom rhs that looks ike a little bowl with a drip off the bottom?

Fuse is OK and the relays pulling in?

Can some one talk me throught the td5 fuel system so i cn change some filters etc

Just in case Western's description of the filters is not sufficient, the fuel filter and water sperator/sensor/drain is located in the RHS rear wheel arch. There is a metal cover over it. Once the cover is off you will see there is a sensor in the bottom of the filter, you need to remove that sensor to drain off any water. Beware they can shear off.

The fuel pump should run when you turn on the ignition and stay on for some time (30 seconds) before they turn off. If you start the engine the fuel pump continues to run.

If you change the filter you need to 'purge' the fuel system before you can start the engine.

do a purge. ignition to pos II, pump the throttle 5 times, you'll the the MIL flashing and you hear the fuel pump running, wait for 2 min. it should stop. off the ignition. wait 5 seconde, put to pos II, pump the throttle 5 times till the MIL flashes, wait for another 2 minutes and crank for 20sec or till it starts, which ever is first.

Chris

Just in case Western's description of the filters is not sufficient, the fuel filter and water sperator/sensor/drain is located in the RHS rear wheel arch. There is a metal cover over it. Once the cover is off you will see there is a sensor in the bottom of the filter, you need to remove that sensor to drain off any water. Beware they can shear off.

The fuel pump should run when you turn on the ignition and stay on for some time (30 seconds) before they turn off. If you start the engine the fuel pump continues to run.

If you change the filter you need to 'purge' the fuel system before you can start the engine.

Chris

And the purge routine doesn't work either

Before you take out the tank, try and make sure the pump is to blame!

When my pump died, the engine kept running, albeit with a lot less power. I actually sat in the car, engine running, with the fuelpump fuse in my hand!

Before you take out the tank, try and make sure the pump is to blame!

When my pump died, the engine kept running, albeit with a lot less power. I actually sat in the car, engine running, with the fuelpump fuse in my hand!

Thanks for that.....please read the thread :(

Having dropped a tank before i'd go for cutting an access hole and then fitting a riveted ali panel back in its place once done :)

One of the reasons for dropping the tank is to check all the wiring as i think shaun has moved the tank to weld in the rear tray...hoping for a loose connection maybe! £266+VAT for a new one!

The wiring goes straight into the top of the tank so you can check that by cutting a hole - its entirely your choice mate but i know what i'd do, bear in mind diesel weighs similar to water @ approx 1Kg/Litre so even with a bit in it the tank becomes heavy!!!

try phoning local dealer, price is normally around £200 inc mark from a dealer.

Steve

Yep Marcus give Pete a ring at Christian autos ,Kingswood ,Bristol , Ive had about three genuine pumps off him to date and they were IIRC £180 each ., The last one had a Bearmach sticker on a Land Rover genuine pump , There was a batch of bad pumps a couple of years ago but they should have all been superseeded by now .

One thing to do before you change the pump , check the feed and earth at the multi plug to determin the pump has failed , But as Chris has already said , The finger is pointing towards the pump .

Ok sounds like a good idea, pump price came from Hunters in bristol...my local LR dealer i suppose.

The reason i wanted to take the tank out is to check that i have no swarf in there!

When you see the pics of my new rear tub you'll see what i mean. There was a bit in the neck when i collected it, just wondering if there was some more that went in so i'd like to swill it out.

I'll give christian auto's a bell, running out of time this week as i'm off to bloody cornwall now!

Any diimensions of where to cut the hole?

Thanks for that.....please read the thread :(

I did read the thread, hence my advice to double check before you take out the tank! If my Td5 wil start and run without a fuel pump, I'd say there is something else wrong with yours.

As for dimensions, see here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...539&hl=situ