Discovery cage

Bobtail-Jay

That is hideos... i'm sure Safety Devices would like to know he's using their name in vane... no way did they make that shambles...!!

FJT Safety devices....not the safety devices.

Either way its an abortion of a "cage"....

i have loads of scaffolding tube here........ all i need is some hubba bubba to join it together and hey presto!!!

if anyone wants one i can make them for £800.. saving you £300........ i will only need your car for an hour to build and assemble it too....................

i shall now sit back and wait for the orders to flow in... it worked for this company!!!

i have loads of scaffolding tube here........ all i need is some hubba bubba to join it together and hey presto!!!

if anyone wants one i can make them for £800.. saving you £300........ i will only need your car for an hour to build and assemble it too....................

i shall now sit back and wait for the orders to flow in... it worked for this company!!!

When can you do mine :hysterical:

Jay.

oh , how disapointing. you are too far away to do that work :lol: :lol: :lol:

i think it looks awful but i suppose we cant all like the same. ......bet it would fold well

Based on the sellers geographic location (Stoke on Trent) and a quick Google search, the company responsible for that cage may well be "FJT Welding and Fabrication" of Stoke On Trent.

There are a couple of other relevant threads running on this forum at the moment, not least of all http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...hl=modification but also http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...hl=modification

I think that everything said at the first reference pretty much applies here; I wonder where the liability would lie if you did put the thing on its roof and those welds just fell apart.... The absence of a centre upright behind the driver's door is also pretty surprising.

The reason that I bring up the second reference is that I have noticed a tendency on this forum for many of those with a great deal of experience at building and modifying their own vehicles for competition, or 'serious' off-road use only, (i.e. mud plugging at pay to play sites / act as extras vehicles in Mad Max (lets face it, some of these vehicles, whilst optimised with one purpose in mind, are seriously ugly trucks)), to mock the attempts of those with a lot less experience to build capable weekend off roaders using the "bolt on" approach of off-the-shelf products from the range of suppliers (yes, including our old favourite, Scorpion). The prevailing attitude seems to be that unless you can 'fab' your own parts, or at the very least go to a local fabricator to make a custom part for you, you are in some way a lesser mortal compared to the gods who can. This attitude I might add puts an awful lot of people off membership of certain LR clubs - but that's another thread....

Whilst I do find it 'surprising' that this owner didn't just get himself a Camel spec cage from Safety Devices and bolt it in (tried, tested, better looking, more subtle and significantly cheaper) I don't think it particularly fair that those who would in one breath mock his efforts to improve the off road capability of his vehicle by using a lot of off-the-shelf bolt-on kit are apparently so eager in the next breath to turn around and lambaste his efforts with 'custom' work even if (as in this case) they are undoubtedly a complete abortion.

We all have to start somewhere, and part of his learning experience would be to put his truck on its roof for the first time and find out the hard way that whoever built that cage was in fact a monkey. This would ensure that he did it right the second time on his next project. This is how humans learn. What is more unfortunate is that someone has just bid £3,500 on that particular auction for a base vehicle which can't be worth much more than £1500 with the panel damage.... perhaps the buyer intends to cut the cage off and put a proper one on?

Has anyone got any shining examples of other work that FJT has produced?

Based on the sellers geographic location (Stoke on Trent) and a quick Google search, the company responsible for that cage may well be "FJT Welding and Fabrication" of Stoke On Trent.

Thats a really poor effort for a professional welding & fabrication company to produce.

If it was home made its better than nothing & functional (but not exactly safe). Presume the owner built the rest of the truck himself which is great.

But for £1300 all mocking is justified & I don't think any comments mean to offend anyone.

to mock the attempts of those with a lot less experience to build capable weekend off roaders using the "bolt on" approach of off-the-shelf products from the range of suppliers (yes, including our old favourite, Scorpion). The prevailing attitude seems to be that unless you can 'fab' your own parts, or at the very least go to a local fabricator to make a custom part for you, you are in some way a lesser mortal compared to the gods who can. This attitude I might add puts an awful lot of people off membership of certain LR clubs - but that's another thread....

I think the above statement is entirely wrong.

Les.