200tdi vs 300tdi

Can't comment on which engine will give the higher mileage (service life).

My experience is that the 300Tdi is better laid out for working on:

• Engine further forward in the engine bay
  • Single serpentine belt for all ancillaries, with auto tensioner
  • Water pump & 'P' gasket readily accessible
  • Timing belt change can be done in ~90 minutes, without having to drain the cooling system

Otherwise, the engines are pretty similar.

My 110 was a 200Tdi and it was a fantastic tool, would cruise all day at 80mph+ and give good economy.

Had it not been for my bike accident and having to sell it because we were skint then i'd still have it now.

They vibrate more than the 300Tdi, but it's no biggy once you're moving. You can hold normal conversations as you would in a car and i think it was marginally quieter than my old 200Tdi Disco once moving.

i would also say they are quite simmilar. it will also be easier to find 300's with lower mileage. depends on your budget. also with the 300tdi you will get thr R380 gearbox as standard which is stronger and nicer to use in lots of people's views. you can get them for 200's but are rare and expensive. i think western has one though. cheers

Hi, I am thinking of getting a 90 but don't know which one to get a 200tdi or a 300tdi, It will be used every day on and off road, Is the 300tdi engine harder to work on than the 200tdi? which engine will give higher milage? what do you think? cheers. Ben

i must say my 200tdi is bloody good on fuel even with the fuel pump tweeked and with uprated intercooler it bloody shifts if you want it to, there is plenty of room to work on them.

lovely engine best one land rover have done i recon,

200tdi can put up alot more stick then 300tdi as the 300 is more refined.

LT77 is not quite the worst gearbox LR ever made (that accolade goes to the LT95) but the change is pretty awful compared to the R380.

The 300 is easier to work on than the 200, also some 200 spares are getting a bit rare now.

My land rover used to have a 200tdi. It blew up. However, i didn't really like it. Thought it was sluggish, noisy etc.

My dad had a 300tdi a while ago and its unreal how different the two engines are. 300Tdi is much more refined, quieter, nicer to drive and feels quicker. Plus you get 24spline?

If i had to have another diesel it would be a 300Tdi.

Petrols gotten to my head though.:D