Traction... lack of it.

daveyboy300tdi

Right. I got some insa turbo dakars for my disco, which at first seemed ok in the mud and loose gravel. But now ive found my off road feet they just don't seem to have the grip I need.

My question is: Is there any tyres that give better traction for the money than insa turbo special track's?

I've spoke to few people and they seem to think there isn't a better tyre (for traction) for the money. I'm not bothered road noise, just traction.

265/75/16 60 quid + VAT from paddocks.

http://www.paddockspares.com/sp/category/W...cial_Track.html

The ones i've seen and am considering are the recip's, probably the 3d's

http://www.mailorder4x4.com/acatalog/RECIP...ould_Tyres.html

Anybody got any of these and recommend them or any others?

Right. I got some insa turbo dakars for my disco, which at first seemed ok in the mud and loose gravel. But now ive found my off road feet they just don't seem to have the grip I need.

Are you reducing the pressure at all for off road in soft mud etc, or just running on normal road pressures?

Kevin

ive just bought 235/70/r16 insa turbo saharas which are very good for what ive done in them

theyre £45.50 + vat from paddocks and the 235/70 is about the biggest youll get under a disco without having to cut the arches and buy lifts etc.

ive not had a chance to really test them yet but theyve been up a 45 degree hill in the melting snow (wet and slippy) fine with no tyre spin and if anything the landy stalls befor you loose traction in some cases :ph34r:

you want either 235/85 or 265/75 as a minimun height, any less and you will be hung up everywhere,

I have tried fedima extremes, broncho dirt devils, grizzly claws and see what 3ds and special tracks can do and i think they are all on par when you look accross the board.

I did try some 750 dumper tyres, they were just in a different leage, make a hell of a mess though and a bit too extreme alot of the time. ;)

I would go to a tyre place and measure each of the tyres you like the look of to get the tallest ones possible.

Will.

the special track and recip 3D is about as extreme as you can go, unless you run a tractor dumper tyre.

dumper tyres are speed limited to 20mph i believe, so aint really an option.

Above that you need BIG tyres and go for boggers, iroks or pitbull stuff - but squeezing 40" tyres under might mean a touch of rubbing on the arches :-)

BUT, the 3d and to an extent the special tracks are deep mud tyres. They might disappoint you on rocky or grassy surfaces. So it depends on what the majority of the terrain you drive offroad is like. If its mostly packed clay or grass then a diamond pattern is almost impossible to beat. Claggy mud and deep peaty bogs are where the 3d and specialtracks excel.

I guess you are driving on pay and play sites for you to be having such issues? If so a winch might be a better option for you?

see i've got insa turbo dakars on my disco. on freestyle's and provided they are let down to around 15p.s.i they work fantastic off road, been to quite a few pay and plays and they are spot on, espescially for the money! They are also wearing quite well, although one of the tyre's stuck on sidewall is peeling off. I would highly reccommend them to anyone, unless they dont like road noise, as they DO make a lot of noise, but it just makes it sound more military, i quite like it. Im very surprised that your not getting enough traction though, how much tread is left on them?

Which vehicles are getting through where you're getting stuck? If you're trying to punch above your weight (Eg following challenge-spec stuff on boggers) then yes, different tyres may be the thing but if you're getting stuck where people in similar vehicles aren't you may need to modify your driving style.

Thanks for the replies. Very constuctive ;)

Im running them at road pressure while offroad. I suppose I could lower them. It's all pretty similar vehicles I go with, disco's and defenders. No hybrids or anything.

Im considering going for 265/75/16's and getting wide arches. A few of the lads have these on their discos with insa turbo specials and they seem to work well.

I'm not the only one struggling with these tyres. My mates got a disco with a 2" lift and 235/70/16 insa dakars. He's struggling in the same places as me. His is an auto.

Muddy: I'm starting to think perhaps it's the profile more than anything. Just not getting clearance in the ruts. Although it doesn't explain me struggling where there isn't ruts.

Ashtray: They've done about 6 playdays and a few greenlaning days so don't have much wear.

The recip 3d tyres look about the most extreme offroad/road legal tyre there is. I bet they are a knightmare on the road though.

I only drive to pay and play days and greenlaning starts so it's not too much of an issue, but I reckon they'd rattle fillings out :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help, much appreciated:D

I have just bought a set of Recip Trail. I'm very pleased. Not overly noisy on road, better than I had hoped in terms of handling and stopping and most importantly, I now keep up with and sometimes leave behind my 2 mates on special tracks.

A good tyre.