Driving a newly purchased discovery home without tax???

tobes

I am looking at buying a discovery, its far enough away from me that I would like to take cash with me to (hopefully) buy it and take it there and then. Its MOTed but not taxed.... Am I legally allowed to drive it home if i have the new keeper section of the V5 and other documents? My only day off is sunday so going straight to a post office isnt an option.

I have tried a quick google but it hasnt really helped!

I dont have a trailer either, any other options for getting it home?

many thanks

It is not legal tp drive without tax unless you are on the way to a pre-arranged MOT test or to have work done for such test.

If you drive it and then pay the tax from the beginning of the month you will probably get away with it as long as you do not get stopped on the day - you may well pass cameras that will record you driving it without tax.

You need to borrow a trailer or wait till Monday and get it taxed.

Chris

The feds can't bust you because it's an excise offence. They can give you a producer but that's about it.

If you do get stopped and they do decide to be arsey and put your details in the new computer thingy they've got it links straight to the DVLA database, then you've got a BIG fine coming your way.

You could tow it on an A-frame with the props disconnected from the axles, although technically the vehicle has to be taxed, but we've done it loads and the feds normally have better things to do when you're doing your best to comply.

Incidentally, technically a Recovery truck can't do it if it's not taxed because it's goods, not a vehicle. Similarly, lots of folks ignore that rule too!

Good luck.

I am looking at buying a discovery, its far enough away from me that I would like to take cash with me to (hopefully) buy it and take it there and then. Its MOTed but not taxed.... Am I legally allowed to drive it home if i have the new keeper section of the V5 and other documents? My only day off is sunday so going straight to a post office isnt an option.

I have tried a quick google but it hasnt really helped!

I dont have a trailer either, any other options for getting it home?

many thanks

As already stated you can't legally drive it home, but if its Mot'd & your are insured to drive it I'd probably risk it & tax it the next day.

I think you'll only be liable for a small fine if stopped, if at all as you would have the v5 showing that its just been purchased. You would have to get an arse of a copper to give you a ticket for that. But it is a risk so better avoided if possible.

trade plates could be an option. The seller has cancelled his insurance so is unable to tax it himself.

The safest option is that i'll have to take two trips..... trailer costs Vs train ticket and a weeks wait :lol:

If you have access to the internet where you pick the car up you could insure and tax it on the spot, then drive it home legally.

but failing to display a current tax disc is illegal too, so it's possible to be done for not displaying.

The feds can't bust you because it's an excise offence. They can give you a producer but that's about it.

If you do get stopped and they do decide to be arsey and put your details in the new computer thingy they've got it links straight to the DVLA database, then you've got a BIG fine coming your way.

You could tow it on an A-frame with the props disconnected from the axles, although technically the vehicle has to be taxed, but we've done it loads and the feds normally have better things to do when you're doing your best to comply.

Incidentally, technically a Recovery truck can't do it if it's not taxed because it's goods, not a vehicle. Similarly, lots of folks ignore that rule too!

Good luck.

A-Frames aren't the answer in my opinion, they aren't legal to collect a vehicle thats over 750kg's unless braked. Even if braked are they legal? Plus towing with them is a little tricky if the tow vehicle isn't substantially heavier, I'd hate to have to tow a Disco any great distance with one. Twisty country roads would be painfully slow & scarey.

Much more of a risk than driving a vehicle without tax for the day in my opinion. If you are involved in an accident & you are towing with an A-Frame your in loads of trouble, your insurance probably wouldn't pay out, especially if your at fault.

Using a Land-Rover to tow another heavy vehicle isn't idea, I've had my range rover is a slide on a wet roundabout at a rediculously low speed towing a shogun for a mate, 1st time I'd used a A-frame & I'll never use one again if possible. Opposite lock going sideways around a roundabout at around 20mph is a strange & worrying moment with 2 tons pushing you along! Fun in a Lotus Elise or similar but not quite the same in a big 4x4.

A trailer is the best method.

What's the ANPR then Ralph?

Automatic NumberPlate Recognition. Most/all traffic police cars have it as well as cams on poles and bridges. Once read they check you have tax, MOT and that the car is insured as well as checking other warnings on the car.

Chris

Even though it has a current MOT , there is no law against you having it done again , so book it in to your local MOT test centre , Then when you pick up the new car you can drive it straight there and get a fresh ticket on it .

I've done that in the past to collect a car (or 2) but I don't know if you can get away with it if the vehicle already has an MOT. Plus I never had to put it to the test, I think its bending the rules a little bit!

When your 200miles from home & the copper asks why you don't have a valid MOT cert. or tax saying your on your way to your local MOT test centre would be comical & legal by all acounts if its a pre-booked test. It would be an interesting chat i'm sure!

I couldn't advise anyone to do this sort of thing though as you could be driving a potentially unsafe vehicle.

I think you'll only be liable for a small fine if stopped

Bearing in mind if the tax is out it should be on a SORN anyway, this is on the DVLA site itself;

What will happen

If you don’t tax or SORN your vehicle you could be stopped by the police.

You’ll get an automatic penalty of £80, as well as paying for a new tax disc and any arrears of vehicle tax you owe.

You could also get a County Court Judgement against you, and be fined a minimum of £1000.

The maximum penalty for making a false declaration by declaring SORN when the vehicle is actually used or kept on a public road is £5000 and two years imprisonment.

Your vehicle could be clamped by one of DVLA's wheelclamping partners. You’ll need to pay to have your vehicle released as well as producing a valid tax disc or a surety fee if no disc is available. If you fail to pay, your vehicle will be impounded, incurring storage charges. If you don’t pay the release or storage fees, your vehicle could be crushed or sold.

Slightly more than a small fine.

trade plates could be an option. The seller has cancelled his insurance so is unable to tax it himself.

The safest option is that i'll have to take two trips..... trailer costs Vs train ticket and a weeks wait :lol:

if you insure it could the old owner tax it then and pay him the extra.

What's the ANPR then Ralph?

Automatic Number Pate Recognition

borrowed from Thames Valley Police website via Google

Automatic Number Plate Recognition - an effective policing tool to Deny Criminals the Use of the Roads

Most criminals rely on vehicles to commit crime. Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) is a tool designed to make it far more difficult for them to use vehicles without being detected.

As a vehicle passes through an ANPR camera, it takes an image of the number plate. Those details are then fed into a system which checks them against sources such as the Police National Computer (PNC), Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), Local Force Intelligence systems and motor insurers databases. If the number plate is matched to one of the sources, the ANPR equipment will sound an alert.

Vehicles which have sounded an alert will then be stopped by intercept team officers for further investigation. Only vehicles that are highlighted by enforcement agency databases will be stopped, so no law-abiding citizen has anything to fear from ANPR operations. Unlicensed or uninsured vehicles are likely to be seized on the spot by ANPR equipped officers.

ANPR can be used to gather intelligence on known criminals or for post-incident crime investigation as well as for running pro-active operations using dedicated intercept teams.

ANPR cameras are located in mobile units (vans), in Roads Policing patrol cars, at dedicated fixed sites and via Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) schemes in urban areas.

ANPR cameras are NOT ‘safety’ cameras, so are not used in Thames Valley to catch speeding or otherwise law-abiding motorists. Nor are they used to generate revenue for the government or other agency.

The use of ANPR by Thames Valley Police fully complies with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Human Rights Act 1998.

& from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_num...ate_recognition