Painting me new truck

stuntman

Hello one and all.

Could anyone please advise me on painting my new truck.

It's currently bright red.

I'd like to paint it the dark green colour (is it Olive green?).

My main question really is, if I sand down, key, the current paint, can I then paint straight onto the red?

I will be cleaning the paint work thoroughly before hand etc.

Or is it recomended I give it a quick dusting over with some red oxide spray?

Next question is, where is the best place to get the paint from and can anyone recomened the best way to get a good finish?

Sorry for all the questions but I like to be prepared for a new task :)

Thanks Andi

Well, I just picked up 3L of colour for my Series rebuild from a local motor factors. I'm planning on spraying it though. My usual method is a good flat back with some wet-n-dry and then flash over with a primer-builder, fine wet-n-dry back and spray paint. Works for me on the last few I've painted.

my series was hand painted by the previous owner who bought the paint from Paddocks. The only issue I have is the toughness of the paint - it seems any little scatch, or sandy wash scratches the paint job.

in my case, a hand paint job needs to be finished off somehow but I am clueless on how ;0

I am not an expert on this , just somebody who has suffered the effect:

There are (at least) two types of auto paint and they are not compatable.

If you paint one type on top of the other then you end up with a crazy paving effect.

Very 80s but not the finish you will be after on a LR.

Sorry I do not have more specific details

I used to paint my race cars in Crown outdoor gloss.

Flatten off, apply thick undercoat with a roller, leave to harden then flatten off again and apply a couple of thin coats of gloss with a roller.

Result is a lovely smooth shiney finish just like a spray job. :D

i advise you to do it on a hot dry day with little wind because the paint takes really nicely when the car is hot and the paint is thinner. i have done a metal horsebox and i came out really nicely hand painted but only on a hot day. I am planning to do something to mine in the summer. good luck

preperation wise a key using ( red scotch pad, 800 wet/dry or 500 da will do fine ) for any paint .

as far as paint goes i would say a comercial 2 pack paint would be the hardest wearing although would need spraying on and only really works somewhere warm, i have seen cars painted from spray cans but it all depends on what finish you want. it is also possible to apply cellulose by brush/roller and sand between coats to get a smooth finish very old method that takes a long time.

hope this helps

and you should be ok using 2 pack with no primer but try not to sand through the old paint you only need a key on a good panel . if you go through or use any filler etc you will need to prime that panel

Synthetic coach/truck paint and a roller. Jawel Paints in Brum do 5L in any BS colour for around £30. I've just done a Sankey in Mid Brunswick Green (Landy to follow) and it's lovely paint to work with, goes on well, flows out nicely and covers easily in one coat but for an extra nice finish it gives a really deep finish with a second coat....... but to be honest series Landies shouldn't look too shiney it's just not right ;)