35" tyre choices

Mark

I have decided that the new truck will run 35" tyres in order to get a decent amount of clearance under the diffs, and I am starting to think about acquiring some tyres in order to build the other bits of truck around them.

The new truck is aimed at being a general purpose truck, capable of doing the odd challenge style event, but also being driven around the country for laneing or whatever other sort of stuff I might fancy, so I have envisaged using an MT pattern tyre rather than the more extreme simex style tread patterns. I have always used BFG M/T's in the past, and rate them highly, but looking around I can only see 35" diameter offered on a 15" rim.

Does anyone know if then can be obtianed in 35" diameter for a 16" rim?

If not can anyone suggest good alternatives available at these sorts of diameters for a 16" rim?

Cheers

Mark

There is a BFG MT 315/75R16 size for a 16" rim which is approx 35" in diameter but its not a size that is easy to get, I tried for somebody with a Lardbruiser a while back and was told it was not a size normally sold in the UK and was special order only. As it is around a 12.50 section width it might also be too wide for you.

Why do you particularly want 16" rims? As a general rule the 15" sizes are cheaper in my experience and having more sidewall lend themselves better to running at low pressures.

12.50 is a bit on the wide side for the weight of truck I am aiming at - really looking for a 10.50... I'll have a look at the creepies, and see what sizes are available.

I was looking at the BFG site and also on craddocks to see what sizes were commonly available, and the 35x12.50's were definatly only available in a 15 rim.

I was attempting to stick to 16" rims as that is what I have... It really depends on what I can get hold of.

I am still open to suggestions though....

XZL's are nowhere near an MT, they're more a very chunky looking AT for military/expedition trucks.

Agreed. Also xzl's have little grip on wet tarmac. Have switched away from them for that reason.

The upsides are that xzl's balance easily, are nicely circular and run true, have moderate noise for what they are that the sidewalls are rather solid and take airing down well.

Have you considered the Cooper Discoverer STT?

How do the Creepy Crawlers compare for size?? I have heard that they are undersized... The 35s only measure up at 34".

My 37's are closer to 36, have to say I don't find 12.50 too wide at all as long as you've got the power to spin them and clear the treads in clay - I've done several 3-pointers in the ruts at Brick Kiln that you certainly wouldn't do on other tyres.

The creepies don't seem to come in anything less than a 12.50, which I still think is too wide for me. Are simex the only ones that come in a 35x10.50?

If the the michelin xzl's are not the right sort of thing, although 900x16 tyres are the right sort of dimensions, as are the 255/100's... anything else that comes in those sort of sizes?

OK, I just shecked the maxxis site, and the creepies come in a 255/85-16, but that is still only 33.5 diameter. next size up is a 35x12.50... hmmm. I am startin to wonder whether 255.85 might be a better choice generally.

OK, I just shecked the maxxis site, and the creepies come in a 255/85-16, but that is still only 33.5 diameter. next size up is a 35x12.50... hmmm. I am startin to wonder whether 255.85 might be a better choice generally.

I saw a german site, can't remember the name, but it sounded japanese, :blink: .

They showed various tyres lined up against each other, including Fedima (simex copy) 235.85

Cooper ST 255.85 and the CC in 255.85.

The fedima were almost as large as the Cooper tyres, but the CC looked a lot bigger again.

Found it.

400720217904.png

• 10 months later...

What about Simex Jungle Trekkers mark? I run the 110 on them most of the time and their road manners really arent that bad, nor are they overly aggressive for the odd greenlane trip.

Other than that, I like JU's creepy crawlers, they've been really impressive on the 109.

Ross

Super swampers, whilst being the right size are a) a bit on the aggressive side, b) 'kin expensive to import and c) nit marked up as legal for use on uk roads (I don't think)

I came to the conclusions that 34x10.50x16 Jungle Trekkers were in fact the answer, so that is what I planned to go for. This is something of an old thread, and I have since scrapped the project though, so it is less of an issue...

Cheers

Mark