Just a thought

minivin

been thinking, only lightly really as I suspect I could find the answer easily but thought it'd pass it past the knowledge of the forum.....

Let's take a Series III 109, it's got a Salisbury rear axle and a rover front axle, ratios are 4.71:1. The defender 110 in certain applications has a Salisbury rear axle, would I be right in thinking that this diff "pack" would be 3.54:1 and be able to be removed from a 110 Salisbury and squeezed into the Series Salisbury?

Sounds too easy to me but thought I would run it past you lot :)

I 'think' that you can do that.

If someone confirms it to be so and you want a cheap (cos is drum braked not cos it's f'd) 110 salisbury then give me a shout ;)

Or I have a stage one project with 3.54 ratio diffs ;)

I'll bear that in mind ;) luckily also know someone who is breaking a 110 who I am collecting bits off of it tomorrow for Tonk, so just thinking about how it could possibly with the LT77 conversion bring about some decent MPG :D

been thinking, only lightly really as I suspect I could find the answer easily but thought it'd pass it past the knowledge of the forum.....

Let's take a Series III 109, it's got a Salisbury rear axle and a rover front axle, ratios are 4.71:1. The defender 110 in certain applications has a Salisbury rear axle, would I be right in thinking that this diff "pack" would be 3.54:1 and be able to be removed from a 110 Salisbury and squeezed into the Series Salisbury?

In a word NO.

The Salisbury diff is a very different kettle of fish to a Rover one.

I've done three Salisbury diffs.Two on a course.One at work.

I would/will never do another one.

Kmowing somebody in an MOD central workshop will help.They I believe have the equipment and know-how to tackly a Salisbury.

Remember also that you can't change the pinion seal on a Salisbury by just undoing the diff pinion nut.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house

I've done it the other way around. Put 4.7:1 diffs into coiler Salisbury axles on my Ibex

Its easy enough to get a Salisbury diff out when you know how, without the spreading plates :P

Shims are awkward - but with your background, you'll be fine.

Setting the pinion height was tricky with dial gauges :(

The crush sleeve in the pinion needed to be done up 'kin tight. I think I used a trolley jack on a breaker bar !!

In a word NO.

The Salisbury diff is a very different kettle of fish to a Rover one.

I've done three Salisbury diffs.Two on a course.One at work.

I would/will never do another one.

Kmowing somebody in an MOD central workshop will help.They I believe have the equipment and know-how to tackly a Salisbury.

Remember also that you can't change the pinion seal on a Salisbury by just undoing the diff pinion nut.

I eat rat poison

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house

Oh yeah I know the differences between the Rover and the Salisbury, meant I could have a powder coated front axle casing without filling the diff, while the rear had to be painted as I did not want to strip it.

Luckily got a father who used to be a LR mechanic for the RAE on Salisbury Plain, if I get confused I just let him look at it and he can normally go "oh yeah, we had a special tool for that, went in the skip when they closed the workshops" :rolleyes:

It's one of these slow-time projects that I'm looking at, as I am looking into disc brakes on the rear so the possibility of stripping it all down and getting it good now is one of the benefits that I'm looking forward to (and a nose seal that no longer drips)

Didn't know about the nose seal, will place that in the gray matter for future ref ;)

I've done it the other way around. Put 4.7:1 diffs into coiler Salisbury axles on my Ibex

Its easy enough to get a Salisbury diff out when you know how, without the spreading plates :P

Shims are awkward - but with your background, you'll be fine.

Setting the pinion height was tricky with dial gauges :(

The crush sleeve in the pinion needed to be done up 'kin tight. I think I used a trolley jack on a breaker bar !!

you still got a 3.54:1 ;)

Will have to check the torque figure, got access to torque-multipliers which we have in the hangers for mounting helicopter rotor blades et cetera so hopefully should be able to sort it via that route if it's a bit mahoosive

Guest diesel_jim

I remember reading in one of the comics about someone taking the 3.54 ringear out of a 110 salisbry and fitting them stright into a series.

I'm sure gearboxdave will soon chime in!