Jump to content

A Frame Ball joint splitter


zulublue
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just pry the A frame away from the axle using propper long bar, anf the whack the side of the casing with a single handed sledage hammer. A second person to apply the prying load does help, though I have done it on my own before by just hanging a weight of the end of the bar.

Leave the nut on the ball joint a couple of turns so that the joint doesn't fly apart, causing grief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

weird as i was told these were a right pig to do

i took my a frame off today to fit poly bushes

undid the nut beat the **** out of it with a hammer on the outercasing to try and shock it loose then used a 4' bar and it popped straight off i was well relived as ive heard many horror storys

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can get bigger ball joint splitters - I had to get one to separate the ball joint on the Range Rover A-frame (it was still a swine even with the proper tools). Whereabouts in 'Middle England' are you?

Hi Geoff, I am in Coleshill J4 of M6.

It's just one of those things, I swapped the rear axle for a Disco 1 unit the old defender axle came of no problem but this one has been a pig, I work on my own so can be fun at times, I do need to get hold of a long bar to be honest, also need to find a press near by to get the old ball joint out, I don't think it's gone but as the bushes need changing I might as well do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

weird as i was told these were a right pig to do

i took my a frame off today to fit poly bushes

undid the nut beat the **** out of it with a hammer on the outercasing to try and shock it loose then used a 4' bar and it popped straight off i was well relived as ive heard many horror storys

Its the getting the ball joint out of the carrier thats the fun part. And then getting it back in & lined up so its retaining bolts fit.

Next one I do is going to get taken to the local engineering shop after I've got it off the end of the frame. They have a HUGE press.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its the getting the ball joint out of the carrier thats the fun part. And then getting it back in & lined up so its retaining bolts fit.

Next one I do is going to get taken to the local engineering shop after I've got it off the end of the frame. They have a HUGE press.

if thats the case then im gona be stuck as my ball joints had it so will be replacing next weekend thought i got off lightly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last one I did was on my RRC.

Got the old one out by beating it with a big lump hammer.

Got the new one in by putting threaded rods into the holes in the carrier & using nuts & washers to pull it into position.

Bl++++ hard work.

But, as I said earlier, next one goes to the local engineers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The A-Frame war was started today, the A Frame to chassis bolts came out very easily, I removed the nut but kept the bolt it until the ball joint came out, and then it started I decided to give it a good spray of WD40 and a whack with the lump hammer to loosen it up, I inserted a 5ft bar under the A Frame and above the axle and started to add pressure and more and more until I was bouncing on the damn thing, at 19.5 stone I would have thought that would have moved it but no the bar bent instead.

So a few more hits with the Birmingham screwdriver as recommended above and tried again, still the same so got a lump of 4"x4" timber and sat it on the trolley jack and jacked the A Frame up to the wheels were just about to lift off the ground, it then got its third hiding to nothing at which point it decided to give in and pop out.

Thank F%^& for that, went to a mates garage, in to a large vice whacked the ball joint out, on to the press popped the bushes out, pressed in the new ball joint (why do they have those bolts on the ball joint where is it expected to go?) pushed the bushes in and home I went, took about 10 minutes that bit.

I cleaned the bush mounts off, greased them up to aid fitting, and my god was it a tight fit, ended up removing the exhaust so I could jack the bushes in to place, I think I made the mistake of inserting the ball joint and loosely tightening it up, this seemed to play havoc with the angles at the bushes end, got one bolt in, but the other was been a pig so stopped had a think, and shouted MOM.................... can you put your back against the tub and rock the truck side to side, not bad at 65 I then put a bar behind the tricky side and it edged forward, thanks mom :-)

So its all done, I have not driven it yet as I then fitted the tub floor which I removed to fit the cage.

X-Brake and Mud console from the show tomorrow so more to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ive just done the same thing to mine but we just fitted the heavy duty ball joint from paddocks more like heavy duty ball ache the thing was stupidly difficault to get it got thee in the end with a drift a big lump hammer and some longer bolts to help pull it down it still wont go all the way flat now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy