Car Park Height Barriers

leeds

I had an incident in a multistory with the tomcat I pulled up to the barrier above was a 2m height restriction (tomcat was only 1.8m). The barrier wouldn't lift so I hit the help button to be told your vehicle is to high please back up so after a heated debate he finally told me there sensors actually measured chassis height and deemed mine was to tall. After making 5 people back up I left leaving two great big liquorice lines all the way up there entrance road and I've never been back even in the car.

Mike

I'm not able to comment on UK standards however they wont to too far from Australian Standards which have 2050mm as the LOWEST height a public car park can be, that's from slab to slab, deduct from this the underside of the sprinkler system and any sewer drain lines and you come down to a ridiculous average height of around 1900mm.

When I worked for a service company one of our young lads drove into a major shopping centre in his company van to change a fairly large cold room compressor, unloaded said new compressor and went to drive out to buy some copper pipe needed for the job, in doing so he obliterated about 80 sprinkler heads -- it never occurred to him that the van suspension was down due to the weight of the compressor and that was all that was needed to put his van height above the sprinkler height, he never went back to that shopping mall ever again :hysterical: nor can he pass the local fire brigade without cat calls and whistles from the firies

I've almost fell foul of this in my old 90 - which fortunately had a sun roof.

At a supermarket underground car park the height barrier said 2.2m - which was fine, so I proceeded down a concrete spiral with very high curbs a big row of cars behind me - only to find the ceiling to low.

I could see through the sunroof that it cleared the top of the windscreen but would have wedged me in just at the back edge of the sunroof.

I had to get everybody to reverse back out into the road - the spiral proving challenging with folks scraping their rims on the curbs - it was a nightmare.

A local car park in the centre of Bromsgrove has a height restriction on the exit only! I am so tempted to drive in there and then ring up the helpline pretending I'm stuck!

In fact the perimeter of the car park is a low kerb with a little slope that presents no problem to a Defender.

They are really helpful at the tips around here to Mickey, however going to any of the big shops down the Purley way is a nightmare. Why do large retail stores not want big vehicles in their open air car parks? Strikes me as a bit backward, especially ones that sell large electrical appliances :-/

Having the roll cage fitted does make it tempting at times to test how strong the height barriers really are .... :ph34r:

Our local tip had a smug look on their face when we rocked up in the p38 and just couldn't fit under the barrier. It's amazing how useful the lowest setting is on the air suspension...... Just remember to open a door when you start driving do it doesn't lift back to motorway height.

G

• Like 1