P38 Rangy Diagnostics

Mo Murphy

Ummm - I had to think about this, as not having a testbook I've always had Mansfield4x4 access this for suspension height changes etc. But I'm pretty sure it's in the same place as the V8's which is on drivers side under main dash.

IIRC the manuals won't show it and it only appears in BECM schematic which is no good.

Cheers

Steve

No, but as Steve said somewhere in the footwell is most likely. The Discovery ones are all in the drivers footwell in the panel above the pedals, the Freelander one is in the passenger footwell and the Defender is under the cubby box but that is presumably because Defender footwells usually leak :D

Tut Tut.

Drivers side indeed.

Huh.

:-)

LH footwell, get on your back and get your head well in, past the hinge of the glove box lid, and towards the transmission tunnel. It's a white socket in a black panel. There is no protective cover.

As it's obviously your first time, take a torch and inspect the pins closely for corrosion. If you do see any I would be suspicious of the state of the wiring behind the panel.

A bit of corrosion on these pins / wires doesn't half bugger up any diagnostics you are trying to run.

Good luck

So once you've found the socket, and you've got a laptop.....

What else do you need to read diagnostic codes, reset suspension heights etc.

I've heard of Rovacoms and Testbooks but don't know if they are even remotely affordable.

Or is there a DIY option ?

At a wildly unedcuated guess it'll either be an RS serial protocol like RS422, or CAN/I2C bus, all of which are connectable to a laptop with varying levels of jiggery-pokery. We have 422/485/TTL->232 converters at work for faulting various kit, one of our local chaps actually made an improved version using bits from maplins so it's got to be doable.