90 TD5 fuel tank

just discovered the fuel tank on the 90 is leaking it would apear to be under the double skin on the bottom so will need replacing my though is how about a TD5 tank as they are plastic (no rot) and less vunerable. the question is are they a bigger capacity this would be useful, can they be fitted to a 1990 90CSW or is the chassis different i like a challange :ph34r:

mike

Having owned both a 200 90 and a td5 i'd fit a tank under the passenger seat!

why would you fit the tank under the passenger seat like the standard tank its very vunerable and if you've owned both are they different capacitys and if so whats the td5 one hold

mike

Mike, I am currently trying to solve the same problem. Having seen the TD5 installation and its height, I think the problem of it getting mashed is basically the same. So I am constructing a tank guard at the moment with the tank in the original position. You can remove the stoneguard/double skin and get acces to the tank as such if it needs repair (using the good old grinder).

I found my td5 tank to be much less vunerable than the one on my 200tdi, its neatly tucked up between the chassis rails and pretty well protected, a much better option than the side slung things they used to use imho.

why would you fit the tank under the passenger seat like the standard tank its very vunerable and if you've owned both are they different capacitys and if so whats the td5 one hold

mike

Two reasons...1 for better weight distribtion. my fat arse on one side the tank on the other! and secondly so i can alter the wheel base :P

do you use it off road? as a tank guard under an new painted and sealed one will be fine. i can see the rear tank being a problem if you have towing bits already there but not really if you dont an dont mind modding a few things to fit it

the rear tank will prob be more vunrable than the side one if you offroad/lane it because unless you guard it dropping the back end on it will soon pop it

how ever

i'm currently doing the mod my self

at the mo you can get off ebay cheap TD5 tank guards galv's from simo... something i cant spell there name

anyway back on track

if you search on here there's a few very good an helpfull write up of how its done

i have one helping bit that my new chassis has a Td5 cross member at the back so its just drill two holes and bolt it on easy, you will need to chop the top section of the back away for the tank to fit.

you'll also need to make some side brackets for the craddle to sit on, easy if you have access to a welder an grinder, altho having both i've decide to bolt this on so that i dont have to weld the chassis an ruin the galv.

i've forgotten the part numbers but can get them if you need for the other bits that will make it easy

also worth getting (£65 ish i think) the late/NAS defender 90 tdi intank bit as this has the feed return and level bit without having to mangle a TD5 one to fit.

just shout if you need any numbers as i bought most of the stuff new so can keep it fairly standard should i need to replace anything.

my main use will be for more fuel storage but on a side note does anyone have a simo....... type guard fitted?

dave

any mods are not a major problem was liking the idea of more fuel as 45l is never enough for long trips the vehical is going to russia to do tourist at ladoga 09 but was thinking with a tank guard (which i'll need on the current set up) it's well protected and a tow bar set up can be incorperated. dave any chance of some pics of your rear cross member and is that the only difference

mike

just discovered the fuel tank on the 90 is leaking it would apear to be under the double skin on the bottom so will need replacing my though is how about a TD5 tank as they are plastic (no rot) and less vunerable. the question is are they a bigger capacity this would be useful, can they be fitted to a 1990 90CSW or is the chassis different i like a challange :ph34r:

mike

I got both tanks fitted to my 200tdi.

If ya look about half way down it shows ya fitting the rear tank ..

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...rt=#entry234087

90 std tank is 55L, 90 Td5 tank is 60L

you could just use a rear tank guard and use that to hold the tank in place once you have fabricated some brackets up to hold the guard. then you have towing and recovery eyes for the rear sorted as well