Mini Tech, Fitting a GPS Mast-mounted antenna

Hopefully of interest to others, I thought I'd post a few less conventional modifications and installations I've made to my 90 in preparation for long distance overland travel. The first is a Mast Mounted GPS antenna providing an input for an in-car PC. There are many different options available for a GPS feed, and I've in the past used feeds from a Garmin Etrex handset, and magnetic GPS dongles. There has been a revolution in GPS receivers over the last couple of years, with the most modern chipsets now proving much more capable and able to obtain a solid satellite fix even through windscreens, dense tree cover and structures. I wasn't obtaining a reliable ebough fix by having a receiver inside the car, and the magnetic dongle fittings are not weatherproof enough to be a permanent external fixture, also not helped by the non magnetic properties of the roof! This is my current installation and is able to obtain a fix whilst inside a closed garage. After research I found that marine standard GPS equipment is available for reasonable prices. I thus decided to make a rugged semi-permanent fixture on the side of the 90. It can be removed leaving just the mast anchor point if required.

PC220074.jpg

Typical USB GPS dongle

PC210056.jpg

Military side antenna mounting point

PC210059.jpg

Fixed to vehicle RHS

PC210060.jpg

Mast Fitting

PC210064.jpg

Aluminium platform cut and drilled to shape

PC210066.jpg

Marine GPS receiver wired through platform

PC210068.jpg

Detail of receiver

PC210069.jpg

Routing the USB Data cable

PC210070.jpg

Completed receiver/platform mount

PC210071.jpg

Mast mounted

PC210072.jpg

Agree with above. Side mount makes it vulnerable, to both trees etc and the ne'er do wells who will rip it off just in case it is valuable. The signal reception will also be compromised. A frenched in roof mount would be much better, out of sight, and positioned well to receive the best signals.

I'd go for a roof mounting, as that could be damaged as noted above, my 12XL external antenna is magnetic & sealed to the upright of my front roof bar, it gets great cover from the sats & never fails to find a signal.

nice job though :D

Hi Mate

i tend to mount my GPS ontop of the snorkel for overland travel. I have experienced grief in some african countries where they want to inspect everything bolted onto the landy. The small gps mouse is very reliable although |I have had one fail. more importantly they do not stand out too much

Ashley

Never mind, managed to read it off the side of the unit.

Evermore SA-320, £80 in either USB or serial versions.

SO ANNOYING! - on eBay it's $45 in the USA and £85 here!

Why are things always so much more expensive here??

(having said that, I will be going for something much cheaper anyway ;) )