Twin Albright Wiring !

bathtub

Just fitting my new 8274 winch with twin 5.6 hp Bowmotors i have linked the 2 motors together with link wires so i just have to run 3 wires to the motor not 6 .

Apparantly 1 Albright wont do the job so .

The question is ;

Hows the best way to wire the 2 Albright Solenoids together & remote control wires using just 3 wires from the winch & just supply & earth going to it.

Piccys would be good if possible :)

don't, just don't, seperate the motors and supply each motor with independent wires from a respective albright. If a singular albright won't coupe (what's it's rating?), then I would suspect a singular-line wiring application won't either without melting wires.

What is the actual motor constant current under load?

What is the rating of your cable?

Just fitting my new 8274 winch with twin 5.6 hp Bowmotors i have linked the 2 motors together with link wires so i just have to run 3 wires to the motor not 6 .

Apparantly 1 Albright wont do the job so .

The question is ;

Hows the best way to wire the 2 Albright Solenoids together & remote control wires using just 3 wires from the winch & just supply & earth going to it.

Piccys would be good if possible :)

Pete, I'd have thought a 24V Warn spec Albright with welding spec wire would be up to the job. That way you can wire the motoors in series and upgrade to 24V. Otherwise the current draw will be HUGE; 800 odd Amps is going to result in a smoke episode or dead batteries VERY fast. If you do want to link two albrights I'd say the best way is just to take piggybacks off all the switch wires for the first albright so the second runs in parrallel.

P.S. We want photos of this new winch :D What does it weigh?

I want photo's when it bursts into flames <_<

ok, lets take a failure scenario of a solenoid if the motors are left paralleled, with the solenoids paralleled;

i) Winch stalls during a heavy pull and draws maximum load current

ii) One of the solenoids fails and no longer passes current.

iii) Second solenoid now takes full current at anything around +650Amps.

iv) Second solenoid burns in a rather dramatic overload

If both solenoids and motors are kept seperate then they will cater for what they were designed primarily for, the control of one motor, that way if the motors stall and kills one solenoid, you drop down to the other motor and solenoid and will not result in the second solenoid seeing full current of both motors

For some more cable, it makes it more safer, and done to correct electric design processes.

I want photo's when it bursts into flames <_<

ok, lets take a failure scenario of a solenoid if the motors are left paralleled, with the solenoids paralleled;

i) Winch stalls during a heavy pull and draws maximum load current

ii) One of the solenoids fails and no longer passes current.

iii) Second solenoid now takes full current at anything around +650Amps.

iv) Second solenoid burns in a rather dramatic overload

If both solenoids and motors are kept seperate then they will cater for what they were designed primarily for, the control of one motor, that way if the motors stall and kills one solenoid, you drop down to the other motor and solenoid and will not result in the second solenoid seeing full current of both motors

For some more cable, it makes it more safer, and done to correct electric design processes.

Rob, I think you misunderstand me; photos are of the winch (I'm guessing Pete's done a double gearbox 8274)

What I was suggesting with the second wiring soulution was to have the high current systems totoally separtate coming from a common power source. The only bit that would be connected is the low current activation circuit.

I still think you want to use a single solinoid even if it means getting something higher rated directly from Albright. Its a neater solution IMHO.

Think I'd follow Rob's idea on this one with twin alrights in tandem and a common low current activation system. At full load those motors are going to be drawing > 400amps each which in itself requires a pretty soild setup, but >800A, love to see the cable/contactor for that.

Of course the sensible option would be to swap the motors for a pair of 24V unit (halving the current) and then just wire them through a single albright.

Trev,

True, but other option is to fit a hydraulic pump and have the best of both worlds,

saw one of these Hybrid 8274 Hydrauilcs and it was very very nice indded, on a white G wagon thingy (nice truck) ?

Nige

Pete

I would try a forklift supplier for a solonoid rather then any albright type set up

Dave

Rob, I think you misunderstand me; photos are of the winch (I'm guessing Pete's done a double gearbox 8274)

What I was suggesting with the second wiring soulution was to have the high current systems totoally separtate coming from a common power source. The only bit that would be connected is the low current activation circuit.

I still think you want to use a single solinoid even if it means getting something higher rated directly from Albright. Its a neater solution IMHO.

Yeah I knew what you meant ;) the beauty of having two albrights with independent feeder lines to the motors is that if one fails, it's only a singular point failure, and you can still pull on one motor, if you upgrade to a bigger singular solenoid and that fails, yer duffed :)

Mr. Baskill's Gelandewagen I suppose?

Any pic?

Yeah, nice winch but expensive (rumour has it it cost £10k + :o ). I've had a look into something simerlar and, yes its possible, but its a little complicated and I don't really see the need for the electric motor, then. Why not just have a hydrolic 8274.... But then why have such a big winch when a MM or simerlar will do.....

So, the 2 options I'm looking at at the moment are twin motors on a single gearbox but standard top housing (easiest and lightest way of doing twin motors but the gearbox has to be built well) and using a custom motor (need to have more words with SimorR about this as he know more about this sort of thing than I'll ever know!)

The only reason I'd see for 2 solinoids is to allow you to only opperate a single motor when you don't need the power (spooling cables in, small pulls, etc) as you'll be wasting a lot of current otherwise. I don't think reliability is an issue. How many people have had contactors (ie albrights) fail???

I really think it'd be worth giving Albright a call to see what they could do for you. Their website is here.

Yeah, nice winch but expensive (rumour has it it cost £10k +

UH?

:blink:

C'MON!!!!

How could it be!

Does it run on Kryptonite???

(I'm not having a go at you Will,rumours are rumours but these are way beyond limit)

UH?

:blink:

C'MON!!!!

How could it be!

Does it run on Kryptonite???

(I'm not having a go at you Will,rumours are rumours but these are way beyond limit)

OK, said winch has a custom top housing, custom gears, custom mainshaft, custom clutchpacks, custom drum and probably more on top of that. I think it'll be the gears that really throw the price. Getting a set of gears done as a one off costs a fortune!

As far as i was told is cost more that Will is saying by the time they got it working correctly ........ it took about three or four builds before it worked - lots of problems matching the electric and hydraulic speed ......

I also heard on various comps that it wasnt as impressive as made out ..... more complex - more to go wrong. Cant say i have seen it pesonally though.

OK, said winch has a custom top housing, custom gears, custom mainshaft, custom clutchpacks, custom drum and probably more on top of that. I think it'll be the gears that really throw the price. Getting a set of gears done as a one off costs a fortune!

Yep Yep & Yep got all that lets hope it stays together in Sweety land this weekend.

All fitted separate solenoids Albright are going to make a new bespoke soleinoid 24V but it takes 28 days by then i will be running 24v alternator with 12v motors :blink:

Piccys will follow {when Jim Lets me :ph34r: }