90 50th

Hi all, new to this Forum and want to pick some brains.

Having owned a variety of Land Rovers over the years (only one currently remaining is an '04 Discovery ES Auto) and some of the past vehicles can be found at defender130.com

Anyway, my question - I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms and am considering buying a 90 50th Anniversary V8. I understand that these came from the factory uprated, but I don't knwo what, and by how much.

Can anyone explain the differences between a regular 90 and the 50th (except the obvious, like it's an auto!)

Thanks, Malcolm

Off the top of my head, bound to be other bits.

4.0 V8 with electronic fuel injection. The only UK market factory production V8 since the older carb 3.5 carb V8's some 8 years earlier.

You've mentioned the auto - again the only UK market production factory Auto in a Defender.

Full Leather seats.

Aircon

50th edition only Atlantis blue paint.

Duo Tone Tornado Alloys.

Part external roll effect cage (not connected to the chassis on the front wings).

Custom cubby box and gearbox box surround/centre console.

Mark

I had one for a couple of years back in 2000. IIRC it had..

4.0l V8, ZF auto

Safety Devices roll cage in and out

uprated DeCarbon gas shocks

front and rear anti-roll bars

side steps

ally chequer plate wing tops and sides sills

rear NAS step and tow hitch

dual tone alloys

BFG AT's

Inside

No bulkhead

different dash

rev counter

centre console for auto with stereo and locking cubby box

carpets

leather steering wheel and gaiters

alloy gear knob and window winders

4 fold down seats in rear

all seats in leather (maybe option)

sun roof (maybe option)

You need to get used to 13-15mpg on road and 6-8mpg off road though, but I enjoyed owning it.

I've just googled and there is an owners site.. http://www.defender50th.co.uk/index.php

Cheers

Steve

Part external roll effect cage (not connected to the chassis on the front wings).

50th (well on mine, but pretty sure on all) was a proper cage with internal hoop, and bulkhead/front outrigger mounts inside front wing.

Steve

Hi all, new to this Forum and want to pick some brains.

Having owned a variety of Land Rovers over the years (only one currently remaining is an '04 Discovery ES Auto) and some of the past vehicles can be found at defender130.com

Anyway, my question - I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms and am considering buying a 90 50th Anniversary V8. I understand that these came from the factory uprated, but I don't knwo what, and by how much.

Can anyone explain the differences between a regular 90 and the 50th (except the obvious, like it's an auto!)

Thanks, Malcolm

The 50th is a right hand drive nas90 MY 1997 hardtop D90, made in 1998.

The rear step is a nas lookalike because in the states they use a 2inch receptor and the 50th had bolt holes to attach a standard 50mm ball hitch.

Some owners reported shortcomings with the transfer box gearing, not sure what the problem. I certainly found a transfer box change with my nas helped with more revs per mph and no more searching between 3rd & 4th on motorways. However, my nas was originally built as a R380 manual so quite a few changes along the years. I can get 15mpg petrol or gas.

Evening all - I've got one of these and know a few bits and bats about them...

4.0 V8 with GEMS ECU (distributorless & water resistant) electronic fuel injection derived from the RR P38.

ZF 4 speed auto from the Discovery (not electronically controlled like the RR version of the same era.)

50th edition only Atlantis blue paint - a flip-flop blueish-green colour.

Fully functioning Safety Devices roll cage for front passengers.

Rear centre mounted fuel tank between chassis rails.

Regular oil-filled dampers

Front and rear anti-roll bars

Stainless steel side steps (slippery when wet)

Ally chequer plate wing tops and sides sills and rear three quarter

Rear step and tow hitch with chequer plate finish.

Tornado Dual tone alloys (same as Discovery ES)

265/75 x 16 BFG AT's

Plaque on rear OS denoting 50th anniversary edition and vehicle number (approx 385 were made)

Inside

Cloth seats - many had leather as an aftermarket conversion. It was never offered as an option.

Airconditioning.

Custom locking cubby box, cupholder in lid. Centre console with cupholders, space for a stereo in front of cubby. Optional 6 disc autochanger reduces cubby box size.

Plaque on centre console with unique ID number.

Rev counter

Grey carpets.

Grey perforated leather steering wheel, auto gear selector and transfer gearlever gaiter.

Alloy transfer gear knob and window winders (these were a dealer-fit and not always done)

4 fold down seats in rear

Sun roof

Headlamp levelling

4x100W speaker stereo system.

Top speed is electronically limited to 99mph. This was to comply with the (then) speed rating of the BFG AT tyres.

The transfer gearing is 1.2 rather than the 1.4 ratio on Tdi's. Fitting the 1.4 is a popular conversion because it transforms performance with no significant fuel consumption penalty.

I've probably missed something obvious... :rolleyes:

post-350-1238022891_thumb.jpg

post-350-1238022937_thumb.jpg

>>You need to get used to 13-15mpg on road and 6-8mpg off road though, but I enjoyed owning it.

Great, my last Defender was a 275bhp Auto 130 Station Wagon, so I'll be looking forward to the improvement!!

Malcolm

Yes but when you use LPG at 49.9 pence per litre and diesel is still £1 per litre at 15mpg the diesel has to do 30mpg to get the same pence per mile figure, not many 200/300/TD5 will do a constant 30mpg like a V8 will do 15mpg whatever the conditions on-road?

My cost per mile for fuel in the nas using 49.9 pence per litre LPG = 20 pence per mile. Only downside is that I fill-up twice as frequently :(

You are preaching to the converted...all of my Land Rovers have been LPG converted and I even have a N*ss*n T*rr*n* up in Belfast running on LPG. Hang on, what's this behind my barn wall....oh yes, my 2 ton propane tank :-)

Yes but when you use LPG at 49.9 pence per litre and diesel is still £1 per litre at 15mpg the diesel has to do 30mpg to get the same pence per mile figure, not many 200/300/TD5 will do a constant 30mpg like a V8 will do 15mpg whatever the conditions on-road?

My cost per mile for fuel in the nas using 49.9 pence per litre LPG = 20 pence per mile. Only downside is that I fill-up twice as frequently :(

Hi Simon, long time no speak!! Of course, you remember my 130! Is your 50th on Irish plates and is it commercially or privately taxed?

How's the Off-roading going?

Regards, Malcolm

I am selling my one at the moment. I am in Dublin, Ireland.

Will post some images at the weekend. It was Overfinched and is really nice. Details here: http://defender50th.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=918&highlight=

• 1 month later...
you are a grown man i am assuming, which makes me wonder (and a little bit worried) why dora the explorer is playing on your DVD player thing lol

mikey

don't know what's worse. spc for having that kids programme running or you for knowing exactly which character it is. :lol:

spc cheers for the instrument pack photo, now know what model my recently acquired warning light panel came from.

very smart 50th too, I'd love one, need a lottery win first though :rolleyes: of that happening.

don't know what's worse. spc for having that kids programme running or you for knowing exactly which character it is. :lol:

spc cheers for the instrument pack photo, now know what model my recently acquired warning light panel came from.

very smart 50th too, I'd love one, need a lottery win first though :rolleyes: of that happening.

i know what it is, because my 11 year old brother watches it religiously, im sure he is a bit... well... bats for the other team shall i say :lol:

They're like hen's teeth. One sold for £250 on the bay of E. MFOR

They're like hen's teeth. One sold for £250 on the bay of E. MFOR

Crikey :o , I got one last week from ebay for 12 quid including postage/packing. :D

just e.mail autosparks to find out if they will supply the 2 connector blocks & terminals, then I might have a changeover.