V8 Disco vs. Eurobox Fuel Cost Comparison

mr.t

I have been doing some calcs, as I am changing jobs and am going to be quite a bit of travelling till we relocate.

I have worked out that I will be doing about 330miles a week and thought purchase of a small 'normal' car would be sensible.. as you do... :(

The conclusion I have come to is that I will be doing it in the Disco! :)... and here is why...

At an Optimistic 18mpg at 75 with Cruise... I have calculated with the power of excel that the following monthly savings could be made with a car swap/ third car purchase:

by the way Landy Fuel £44.95 per week to run

Monthly Savings:

Focus 1.4 - £51

Focus 1.6 - £45

Focus 1.8 - £34

Focus 2.0 - £11

Focus TDCi- £62

Focus ST - £60 More!!

Polo Diesel - £60

For £15 week I get to go in my Disco than a crappy Polo Diesel... or I fork out another £2-3k on a newer Diseasel Focus (insert eurobox here) to save the same amount...

...to maintain some driving pleasure.. a 2.0 Focus would only save me £3 a week!...

Thought it was a good bit of news in the world of downsizing and negative press for the costs of running a nasty gas guzzler...

I drive my 3.5 90 70 miles everyday to work and back and i wouldnt change it for anything else! the rest of my office think i'm bonkers, but to me its worth it. I would hate my journey if i was stuck in a eurobox....

Yup, my parents drive a second car ( a 900cc thing) to save fuel. Oddly they use the small car for the long trips, and the big one for the short trips. Anyway, as much as they insist I'm doing it all wrong and should also have a second vehicle (I agree actually, I've been considering a 90... :P ) I calculated that they save, at the most, £500 a year on fuel. Factor in the running, insurance, mot, tax, etc and purchasing costs of the second vehicle and it's not worth it. But try telling them that :ph34r:

I think you may be kidding yourself - or fudging the figures to give yourself the answer you would like.

It's very easy to get confused between miles/gallon and litres/100km and I reccommend this website to clear the fog

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/ccvol.htm

Using the calculator on the website:

330 miles a week x4 is 1320 per month.

At 18 mpg (as you say, optimistic) that is 73 gallons.

73 gallons is 333litres

333 litres at 91.9 (petrol) costs £306 -£76 per week

333ltres diesel at 101.7 is £338.66 - £84 per week

A Eurobox will consume around half that of a Landy, giving you a saving of £42 PER WEEK for diesel, or £168 a month.

Cheer up though. That's only 62 pints of best bitter. 2 pints a day, every day.

I am obsessed by fuel costs having just bought a V8i running on LPG. I have started to seperate thread to see if anyone else is getting better than my miserable 13 mpg!

I am obsessed by fuel costs having just bought a V8i running on LPG. I have started to seperate thread to see if anyone else is getting better than my miserable 13 mpg!

Maybe not the best choice of vehicle then if youre obsessed with fuel costs.... I hear a Polo BlueMotion is excellent on fuel :lol:

330 miles a week x4 is 1320 per month.

At 18 mpg (as you say, optimistic) that is 73 gallons.

73 gallons is 333litres

333 litres at 91.9 (petrol) costs £306 -£76 per week

333ltres diesel at 101.7 is £338.66 - £84 per week

333litres at 49.9 (LPG) costs - £166.16 - £41.50 per week... ????? I'm confused

to be fair you never mentioned lpg in your opening post :P

rob

ps just run the disco you dont need silly numbers or spreadsheets to tell you what you wanted to hear :lol:

Cheers for your post... worth checking signatures before trolling...

It was a light hearted thread to make the worry of driving around in a thirsty beast in the current climate a bit more bearable..

Thanks again

I have been doing some calcs, as I am changing jobs and am going to be quite a bit of travelling till we relocate.

I have worked out that I will be doing about 330miles a week and thought purchase of a small 'normal' car would be sensible.. as you do... :(

The conclusion I have come to is that I will be doing it in the Disco! :)... and here is why...

At an Optimistic 18mpg at 75 with Cruise... I have calculated with the power of excel that the following monthly savings could be made with a car swap/ third car purchase:

by the way Landy Fuel £44.95 per week to run

Monthly Savings:

Focus 1.4 - £51

Focus 1.6 - £45

Focus 1.8 - £34

Focus 2.0 - £11

Focus TDCi- £62

Focus ST - £60 More!!

Polo Diesel - £60

For £15 week I get to go in my Disco than a crappy Polo Diesel... or I fork out another £2-3k on a newer Diseasel Focus (insert eurobox here) to save the same amount...

...to maintain some driving pleasure.. a 2.0 Focus would only save me £3 a week!...

Thought it was a good bit of news in the world of downsizing and negative press for the costs of running a nasty gas guzzler...

If Im being a muppet please tell me... could you explain how a focus st; st170 2.0li or 2.5t (newer version) will return more than your disco? Ive had both and the st170 returns 25mpg mixed driving and the 2.5t is ridiculous on fuel.

If you want fuel economy buy a vw lupo 1.4tdi... 68 mpg I kid you not.

If the lupo is too small a mk4 golf gt tdi 130/150 will return 53+ mpg on a motorway run all day. Clarkson said it and its true.

The post concurs with you...

ST3 Focus would be £60 more a month than LPG Disco getting equivalentish MPG of 36mpg... (ie Half price fuel)

The focus and polo calculations were on 53 and 50 mpg respectively...

The gist of the post is that I am going to run the Disco...

So it may be me not being clear rather than you being a muppet Davey! :)

Cheers for your post... worth checking signatures before trolling...

It was a light hearted thread to make the worry of driving around in a thirsty beast in the current climate a bit more bearable..

Thanks again

f y i mine was a light harted way of saying sod the fuel and drive the better car

but what ever :ph34r:

rob

f y i mine was a light harted way of saying sod the fuel and drive the better car
The conclusion I have come to is that I will be doing it in the Disco! ... and here is why...

Rob,

I think if you re-read the first post you should realise that is EXACTLY what I was saying...

Cheers for your input and the banter... :blink:

lol im agreeing 100% chap (slightly crossed lines tho i think)

all the graphs and tables cant sum up the most important thing tho :huh::huh::huh:

the glorious noise a v8 makes :wub::wub::wub:

that noise alone is worth 10mpg at least

rob

(still missing my v8 like my leg is missing)

The post concurs with you...

ST3 Focus would be £60 more a month than LPG Disco getting equivalentish MPG of 36mpg... (ie Half price fuel)

The focus and polo calculations were on 53 and 50 mpg respectively...

The gist of the post is that I am going to run the Disco...

So it may be me not being clear rather than you being a muppet Davey! :)

Ahh right... I'd rather amble about in a disco aswell ;)

That reminds me...

I must fit the silencer replacement pipe... the V8 is just too quiet at the minute.. ;)

One Life... yup.. Watched the Camel DVD that came with LRO this month... 1991 event first for the Disco's.... Jees they take some hammer... reiginited my passion to sort stuff out on it.