Wrong fuel used !!!???

Hi all,

I've just helped a mate of mine out by replacing Petrol with Diesel in his fuel tank.

He didn't do it, a mate of his did, the 200Tdi engine started fine but ran not well. It wasn't just a case of having a bit of Petrol in the tank, it had nothing but Petrol, maybe 5liters of it was Diesel when it was topped-up.

We drained the tank and put Diesel back in, drained the filter and drained what we could from the pipes. Bled and started it up, it smoked for a while and it seemed to run fine.

Couple of questions:

1. Will it do any long term damage? He unfortunately had to drive about 30kms before we managed to changed the fuel around.

2. Did LR design these engines to run on nearly any fuel? I don't think 95 unleaded was planned.

I know modern cars don't fair well in this mix-up, do the "old smokies" fair better?

Keith.

as the tank has been drained & filter replaced & you've got as much out as practicable, it should be fine, might be worth changing the filter again after it's run for a while on the correct fuel.

As it happens he does have a new one ready to go in, not found the time to do it before, I'll let him know to hold off for a while before changing it. Any idea as to how long would be long enough, he is one of those cautious type of blokes.

up to your pal when he swaps the filter, sooner would be better for the injection pump & injectors.

I'll let him know tomorrow, he'll probably do it on the weekend. I'll tell him to do it on the weekend that way enough Diesel has past through to catch whatever bits have been dislodged from the fopar. :blush:

Thanks,

Keith.

we've drained loads at work that have been run until they conked out on the wrong fuel, drained and refilled it and it ran for another 150,000 with no problem, the car was scrapped before the engine gave up the ghost. I wouldnt be too worried but as said, do your best to remove it all and be sure to change the filter.

Dave

A 200tdi is normally a good strong engine.

The important part is how long it was run on a strong blend of petrol.

A small % of petrol in the diesel doesn't matter. In colder countries people use petrol as a thinning agent for diesel. The biggest problem is the low cetane value. This can be corrected using additives, but in your case it will get sorted on the next fill up.

I use 1% petrol in mine for thinning veggie oil with a cetane booster, heat the mix, and all has been fine..... so far :ph34r:

A small % of petrol in the diesel doesn't matter. In colder countries people use petrol as a thinning agent for diesel. The biggest problem is the low cetane value. This can be corrected using additives, but in your case it will get sorted on the next fill up.

I use 1% petrol in mine for thinning veggie oil with a cetane booster, heat the mix, and all has been fine..... so far :ph34r:

ditto this, it's common to put petrol into diesel trucks etc, to stop the fuel getting too cold / freezing.

your engine will be fine :)

Gordon

only 1%! I normally use 10% personally.

Hi all,

I've just helped a mate of mine out by replacing Petrol with Diesel in his fuel tank.

He didn't do it, a mate of his did, the 200Tdi engine started fine but ran not well. It wasn't just a case of having a bit of Petrol in the tank, it had nothing but Petrol, maybe 5liters of it was Diesel when it was topped-up.

We drained the tank and put Diesel back in, drained the filter and drained what we could from the pipes. Bled and started it up, it smoked for a while and it seemed to run fine.

Couple of questions:

1. Will it do any long term damage? He unfortunately had to drive about 30kms before we managed to changed the fuel around.

2. Did LR design these engines to run on nearly any fuel? I don't think 95 unleaded was planned.

I know modern cars don't fair well in this mix-up, do the "old smokies" fair better?

Keith.

I once put five galls. of petrol on top of three galls. of derv. into a Mercedes sprinter! Very bad storm, four hundred miles from base, dark night, charming, helpless, girl on duty...I added 3lt. of engine oil to the tank. It Ran perfectly normaly, and never gave any later problems.

Howard.

2X300TdiDef.

Older mechanical dervs arent bothered so much by this, its the unit injectors on the newer engines that dont take kindly to it

My dad once stuck a tenners worth of petrol into his transit with the tank nearly empty, drove it out the forecourt and up the road and it conked out. Shoved it back to the garage, and brimmed the tank with derv (left the petrol in there). After cranking for a bit it finally started and ran just fine.