Diff pan - one size fits all?

ThreeSheds

Hi,

I need a new diff pan (rear) for my 1990 RRC:

P1050659_(Medium).JPG

And Paddocks only list pans for Defenders - are they different on the RRC?

Diff pan for 90 - weld on - with hole for filler plug - rear axle to KA930455 - DEFENDER LR150 £29.50 ex VAT

I strongly suspect that all of them would fit, but you never know.. :blink:

I will be asking Paddocks these questions later this morning, but it's always nice to be pre-armed with information from the experts... ie the members of this forum :)

Cheers,

Roger

Spoilt the image now...I doubt Wesley owns a scriber or did that get thrown up off the road.

Steve

He probably (like me) bought it 30 years ago when he worked in a tool-room - some tools just last for ever :):D

im confused, if the new diff pan is weld on why not just weld up the hole?

I did think about doing a small repair (first thought was a self-tapper with some Sikaflex ;) ) but the whole pan looks pretty knackered (and thin to judge by the dents) and while I have it off the car I thought it would be nice to do a propper job. The rest of the axle appears to be in quite good condition so I'm not sure why this bit has rusted so badly.

My only concern is that my welding (especially since I am using gasless on a cheap welder) will not form a perfect seal - but I plan to use some chemical metal on the joint on the inside - I have done this before on my holed generator case on the Honda and it's still fine 2 years later.

Roger

Yes Discovery I Range Rover Classic and defender diff pans are the same size.

Filler may be in different configuration.

For the cost of the diff pan you could consider getting another axle and replaceing it

Yes Discovery I Range Rover Classic and defender diff pans are the same size.

Filler may be in different configuration.

Thanks for that. The one that I got from Paddocks is more or less the same as the original (but not so well made)

For the cost of the diff pan you could consider getting another axle and replaceing it

Ahh but the current axle is a 24 spline with virtually no wear and, apart from the pan, no serious corrosion :) Thinking about it, everybody says that 24 spline diffs are better, but just how much better are they?

Anyway, I have welded on the diff pan now - it was quite an easy job with the axle out on the bench. One thing that helped was that the new pan is built so as to fit over the original so when I cut the old one off I could leave a little lip for location, and also there was no need to grind off all of the original weld. That's it for today, re-assembly starts tomorrow :)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

If you need to replace the diff pan and intend subsequently fitting a diff guard may I suggest you bin the guard and weld on a heavy duty diff pan instead? can be bought from the likes of gigglepin and Gwyn Lewis. Much better fit and forget solution.