Kumho KL71 mud terrain

BogMonster

Has anybody used the new Kumho KL71 mud-terrain, that is replacing the old 834 pattern?

I don't want them myself but sell tyres at work so just after any feedback on whether they are any good or not - they look more like a rock crawling tyre to me than a proper mud terrain but just wondered how they perform - anybody use them or seen them in action? To me they don't look as good as the old pattern nor a BFG/Grabber but many want the cheapest MT they can get and Kumhos are pretty much the cheapest around.

Stephen

'fraid cant help you there . . . not seen em in person at all yet.

i'd say from looking at the pattern, they'd do quite well on the road due to that centre run of tread and i guess the larger lugs on the edges may be OK for off road.

I run the 834's at the moment all the time on the RRC and i really really like em - on and off road. I have a set of road tyres and alloys for the classic, but i switched back to the 834s cause i liked them more.

You'll know yourself i suppose, but as a brand, i've got no hangs up atall with Kuhmo tyres. They are marketed as the budget stuff round my way and i've always been pleased with them. Both the 834s and the road tyres that the P38 was shod with. In fact, i'd chose the Kuhmo stuff over the other common makes at the moment.

cheers fisha :)

I used to run 834s in 31x11.50R15 and I liked them too - just that I wanted a set of alloys for everyday use so they went in favour of BFG 265/75R16s on a set of free alloys I "acquired" for -£20. We sell shed loads of them at work, they don't last as long as a Grabber or BFG but at 2/3 the price people don't mind that at all - they are really popular here and I would go as far as to say they are a premium tyre just at a budget price.

My thought on the new one was that the side lugs didn't have enough space between them and would probably clog up too easily, and that the centre bit was a bit too wide and again not enough void, looks more like a tyre designed for rock crawling to me, but I guess as the 834 is on the way out we'll have to suck 'em and see :) just ordered some anyway so I'll see what they look like when they arrive in a few months.

Ignore what is on the Kumho site - as far as I know they will replace the sizes the 834 is in so should include

225/75R16

265/75R16

238/85R16

30x9.50R15

31x10.50R15

31x11.50R15

33x12.50R15

those are the sizes we sell in 834s anyway, there are probably others in fact the tyre dealer was telling me they are doing some of the bling 17in and 18in sizes for other vehicles but I wasn't interested in those so didn't get details

• 9 months later...
Could these be the next Trac-Edge though?

I use 31/10.50/15s Kumho KL71s on my disco and before that I had them on my V8 hybrid and they outperformed the bfg MUDs I have used for years on and off road . On road the grip was out of this world but so I was a little worried they would suffer off road . They took me places my BFGs wouldn't have gotten close to and have transformed my car . A mate of mine who has a 300tdi 90 has just ordered some in 33s to replace his goodyear MTs as he has been so impressed . I know I for one was always annoyed at guys going further than me on retreads that cost a third of what my BFGs cost . Granted I had quality but they had traction . Now I have both and for less than £400 delivered . 12 months I have had them now and I wont ever go back to BFGs . Just my 2 pence worth

We've been selling them at work and though I haven't tried them myself, lots of people with them think that they are great. I still think they look a bit odd though! But I don't care as we sell hundreds of them and the customer is always right :)

• 2 weeks later...
I use 31/10.50/15s Kumho KL71s on my disco and before that I had them on my V8 hybrid and they outperformed the bfg MUDs I have used for years on and off road . On road the grip was out of this world but so I was a little worried they would suffer off road . They took me places my BFGs wouldn't have gotten close to and have transformed my car . A mate of mine who has a 300tdi 90 has just ordered some in 33s to replace his goodyear MTs as he has been so impressed . I know I for one was always annoyed at guys going further than me on retreads that cost a third of what my BFGs cost . Granted I had quality but they had traction . Now I have both and for less than £400 delivered . 12 months I have had them now and I wont ever go back to BFGs . Just my 2 pence worth

It's nice to get actual feedback like this... Anyone else use them who would like to comment?

I quite like the 'unusual' look of these tyres and was thinking of getting a set, but was concerned over their (apparently) less aggressive tread than some have. Having said that, I have never actually seen them other than in publicity shots that seem to emphasize wide fitting and low (or is it high?) aspect ratio - presumably aiming at more road-biased users.

It would be great if someone could you post photos of a real set in action or just parked on the drive - I just want to see what they really look like (preferably 31x10.5x15 as these seem to be cheap and plentiful) and also perhaps measure the actual diameter?

Cheers,

Roger.

funny, ive just had these tyres suggested by a company i contacted about upgrading to 33s. nice to hear they sound good. i like the look of them, i picked my machos on looks & they have performed better than i expected. however i was less road bias this time.

• 3 months later...
Has anybody used the new Kumho KL71 mud-terrain, that is replacing the old 834 pattern?

I don't want them myself but sell tyres at work so just after any feedback on whether they are any good or not - they look more like a rock crawling tyre to me than a proper mud terrain but just wondered how they perform - anybody use them or seen them in action? To me they don't look as good as the old pattern nor a BFG/Grabber but many want the cheapest MT they can get and Kumhos are pretty much the cheapest around.

Stephen

Sorry to bring this back from the grave... But does anybody have any updates on these tyres?

Pics in action would be nice too...

Rog

Sorry to bring this back from the grave... But does anybody have any updates on these tyres?

Pics in action would be nice too...

Rog

I still haven't used them myself but we sell loads of them at work. As for performance - it depends who you listen to. Some people say they are the next best thing to a set of Continentals (what you folks would call dumper tyres - tractor grip) others say they are not as good as a "regular" MT (e.g. the old 834 pattern or BFG MT's). I even know somebody who thought they were rubbish, thought they were great and now thinks they are rubbish again :lol:

Mind you the requirements down here are different to UK type off road conditions so I don't know how they would perform in harder conditions.

And before anybody points it out I know my new vehicles looks nothing like the above :lol:

• 4 months later...