Still Snowing in Aberdeen Today

Fatboy

No fun if you brake with that on your roof...or for the guy behind when it blows off... :o

Very true Geoff. Normally the cars get swept clean before I leave the drive but the black 90 is set up for drive clearing at the moment so I didn't bother.. :(

The plough is now off as we are hoping to go "white laning" tomorrow c/w chains etc so I'll sweep it clean in the morning :)

Very true Geoff. Normally the cars get swept clean before I leave the drive but the black 90 is set up for drive clearing at the moment so I didn't bother.. :(

The plough is now off as we are hoping to go "white laning" tomorrow c/w chains etc so I'll sweep it clean in the morning :)

Sorry...pet hate of mine :lol:

It's amazing how many people don't clear the snow of their cars, isn't it - even up round Aberdeen, where they can hardly plead lack of winter driving experience...

Have you got a spare bed or two? WANT TO COME AND PLAY!!!!!!!!

(IN THE SNOW I MEAN!!)

Of course!!! Everybody welcome :D

Today we are off to visit a mate who lives a mile off the road near Corgarff. Relatively close to the Lecht ski centre where all roads were closed yesterday.. I'm off now to dig the chains out and check the 90's over plus brush the snow off and fill the reservoir washers to de-icer...

One of the great things about playing in snow is its really clean - All my muddy kit is pretty much spotless after the last few days :D

was up at Malvern on Tuesday, absolutely heaved it down as we were in the office, two hours later and it had all melted

As we were heading back across Salisbury Plain Pewsey had quite a few hints of snow so me and my boss was waiting to get back to Boscombe Down and play (he's got a SIII 88), but when we got there it was bone dry :(

went down to Pompey that night and they had a thin smattering on the ground, but other than that I think we went from Autumn to Spring this year, didn't have a winter :huh:

Sorry...pet hate of mine :lol:

It's amazing how many people don't clear the snow of their cars, isn't it - even up round Aberdeen, where they can hardly plead lack of winter driving experience...

When we lived in Montreal you learnt pretty quick to keep clear of the heavies on the freeway after a heavy snow fall or freezing rain - it was not uncommon to see sheets of compacted snow and ice several inches thick lift off the top of an artic trailer and come crashing down on whatever was following... :o

Got even more interesting during the icestorm in '98 :o:o

What a brilliant day... We went up Deeside to Ballater then hung a right towards Corgarff. This is a really exposed road but very scenic.

Unbelievably the camera died and refused to work so I got a couple of pics with my phone. We passed the few houses at the top of the valley and the semi-cleared road just stopped and heavy drifting began. :D

While we were on the edge of the black stuff I put a pair of chains on the back of Rachels 90 and while we were waiting we watched a chap on a Skidoo coming down the snowy road towards us. That was the bloke we were going to visit :)

After exchanging plesantries, he headed back up the hill fairly confident that the snow would be too much for my 90 (Mud Terrains, Detroits, V8 etc). However, as we had ropes and shovels I took off after him. Unbelievably after a lot of drift bashing and sideways moments, I got to the top :D:D .

We stopped for a chat and a laugh and were about to go back down on the Skidoo for me to drive Rachel up in her 90 only to see her coming over the rise, giving it some welly - Hats off, well done that girl ;)

OutsideRays.jpg

This is us on the Coffee break - Chains on both rear axles.

On the way back down, drifting snow had filled in the track we had made earlier so there was some battering and a couple of shunts. It is amazing the difference a pair of chains makes...

OnLechtRoad.jpg

This did not actually take much shovelling to get free.. I just had to remove a large compacted wedge from under the front before we were free to go again...

I am so jealous :( That road's great fun in the summer, never mind with several inches of snow on it :)

Geoff - Several inches - Try feet! :D:D:D

The snow is very light and was drifting quickly. The photo of the orange 90 was taken after it slewed sideways on the way down the hill. Yesterday we took the Rangie out and the snow banks were higher than the roof :ph34r: (I'll get the photos off my phone later)

Unfortunately, I made it into work today so the fun has stopped... :(

The usual worrying thing though was totally unprepared folk planted in snow drifts up obviously bad roads. We've recovered quite a few soaking wet, frozen people with no shovels, no warm clothes or gloves and kids in the car :angry:

Arent you meant to fit chains diagonally ie , one front right and one rear left or vice versa ? Not that we get to play in the snow it has been 34-35c this week !

I would not have thought they would help as the diffs would spin the unchained single wheels on each axle and you would stay planted.

I was not worried about different rolling diameters between front and back as the centre diff was locked and the surface was very slippery. As soon as we got to good tar, the chains were taken off.

I did realise that only one pair of chains on a 4x4 was a compromise but it let us take two cars up the hill. One vehicle was always kept free just in case the second got stuck and needed a pull or indeed, abandoning! :o Both cars also had a lot of warm clothing, shovels, ropes and solid recovery points fore and aft.