Front bumper bolts

G`day all, my new toy is an 02 110, I want to know if 4 front bumper bolts are high tensile or not, the bolts are a reduced head with some markings on them, but I cant read the markings, that indicates to me that they might be, but the thread is definately a course thread which indicates that they might just be normal bolts not high tensile.

If any one can shed some light on if TD5 bumper bolts are good or bad I`d be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

G`day all, my new toy is an 02 110, I want to know if 4 front bumper bolts are high tensile or not, the bolts are a reduced head with some markings on them, but I cant read the markings, that indicates to me that they might be, but the thread is definately a course thread which indicates that they might just be normal bolts not high tensile.

If any one can shed some light on if TD5 bumper bolts are good or bad I`d be greatly appreciative.

Thanks

the thread profile won't have anything to do with whether it's HT or not, is there any marking at all on the bolts? three circles on the flats of the hex or anything else?

Can`t really tell, because they have been painted over and it is an air-con grill which protrudes over the bolt heads.

I think there might be an M and possibly an A or V, there definately is`nt an 8.8, sorry its not much help.

Ralf thanks mate, now we know they are M10x120 bolts.

All we need to know know is how strong they are.

As I want to bolt a couple of these to the bumper.

th_pic.jpg

The standard fit bolts should be upto use with those, IIRC my husky & bumper still have the standard fit bolts & I've put lots of hauling weight through them, I would think the standard bolts are HT 8.8.

The standard fit bolts should be upto use with those, IIRC my husky & bumper still have the standard fit bolts & I've put lots of hauling weight through them, I would think the standard bolts are HT 8.8.

but as they say, "assumption is the mother of all eff-ups" :)

I didn't say assume anywhere

can't find any info about non ht bolts in the workshop manual, it gives info on ht's between 8.8 to 14.9

"I would think" is to partially assume, however I can't be fussed to argue grammatics at this time of night and a beer awaiting down the pub ;)

My gut feeling is that they are HT, but I don`t want to discover that they wer`nt during a kenetic recovery. :blink:

Thanks for all the info so far.

no probs! try and hide the manuals under the desk again now <dissappears under desk> :)

Col, in my RAVE disk Defender winch fitting info, they show removing the 4 standard bolts from standard bumper & then refitting the standard bolts through the winch bumper, no mention in the info about changing bolts for different spec ones.

Thanks Ralph, that gives a pretty good indication.

Mark, I might end up doing that, just to be on the safe side, but if the origional ones are up to it seems a waste to chuck em out.

Yep I dont mind the look of the new truck either. :D

Chuck them away and replace them with 4 x BH110261L bolts with a proper sized head on them, you can get a sensible sized socket on those (17mm I think) and get them good and tight and I'm pretty sure they are 8.8s. My milemarker hasn't fallen off yet anyway :D

Ralf thanks mate, now we know they are M10x120 bolts.

All we need to know know is how strong they are.

As I want to bolt a couple of these to the bumper.

th_pic.jpg

black rat hooks arnt they cols?

just fitted a pair on my tjm bumper they are excellent and standard bumper bolts were used

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bounce this back up to the top, but on a similar note.......

What do these bolts screw into when fitting a winch bumper?

I've just bought a 2nd hand winch bumper and am hoping to fit it this weekend. I've just tried to remove the old bumper and 3 bolts came out - 1 snapped off 1/2 way down in the chassis (Bummer!)

It looks like getting the rest of the bumper off will involve getting busy with the angle driver!

Anyway, I can get one end of the old bumper away from the chassis and it looks like the bolts screw into a threaded hole in a rectangular plate which is welded onto the bottom bracket on the old bumper.

My new bumper doesnt have anything like this.

Can I just use standard nyloc nuts (if they will fit) or do I need to buy some kind of plate with captive bolts to screw into?