r380 or lt77 - series 3???

crazyfarmerboy

hello i got this for my 18th birthday from the parents

post-11226-1241262079_thumb.jpg

i was amazed, then i lifted the bonnet and found this, (dad's grinning)

post-11226-1241262119_thumb.jpg

anyway, as you can see it is a series 3, i think it may be exmil?

solid chassis, good bulkhead, too good to break,

i also have a daihatsu 2.8td engine which i think will go in nicely

post-11226-1241262283_thumb.jpg

the big question is, which gearbox to use,

what will the difficulties be, there will be no problem with welding and fabrication of mounts,

which gearbox to use, series 3 standard, lt77, R380

which transfer box to use, series 3 (adapter plate for modern box, or Lt230,

will there be a problem with constant 4 wheel drive on the frint axle?

any help would be much appreciated

Personally i would stick with the original box if its just for pottering about or ashcroft did do a conversion for either the lt77 or r380 to make them selectable 2 and 4wd avoiding all the drivetrain problems - then you just need to conversion plate for the engine to gearbox - i would price this carefully as 200tdi's go cheap nowadays and dont need any expesnive conversion/adaptor plates and you can bolt series engine mounting directly to them so no cutting/welding of engine mounts. Its amazing how the costs start to add up with these conversions so weigh it all up carefully

personally i would go the 200tdi or maybe the 300tdi route - lots of info and help available on this conversion as its so popular

the thing is i have the daihatsu engine and i managed to get the conversion plate of ebay for 30 pounds,

i am now going to stick to the origional series 3 gearbox to save alot of time, i am planning to sell this after the conversion is completed so if anyone is interested let me know,

i am not doing this for purely a money making task,

i am doing this for the experience and because i do not want the engine to sieze and go to waste,

i also thought is was a shame to break the land rover as it is in good condition and the buyer was going to break if i did not have it,

If you have a standard series box (which is rated to a whole 50-odd bhp), then a more powerful engine is most likely going to put more strain on it than it's designed limits. Jap engines are excellent, but then a tidy 200/300TDi is as welll. It's all well and good to put a pokey motor under the bonnet, but in the end - it's everything afterthe engine that will suffer. Lt77 or R380 is much stronger - designed to handle 111bhp or more. Series axles will not take permanent 4wd, so the drivesdhaft U/J's will suffer from all that power (being U/J's, instead of CV's). Go from the wheels backwards.

Les.

If you have a standard series box (which is rated to a whole 50-odd bhp), then a more powerful engine is most likely going to put more strain on it than it's designed limits. Jap engines are excellent, but then a tidy 200/300TDi is as welll. It's all well and good to put a pokey motor under the bonnet, but in the end - it's everything afterthe engine that will suffer. Lt77 or R380 is much stronger - designed to handle 111bhp or more. Series axles will not take permanent 4wd, so the drivesdhaft U/J's will suffer from all that power (being U/J's, instead of CV's). Go from the wheels backwards.

Les.

yes that sounds like more work than i am planning to put in, so i may put the 2.8 daihatsu turbo in the 110, and put the 2.5 land rover td into the series with series gearbox, as it is less powerful and will not strain it as much,

thanks

yes that sounds like more work than i am planning to put in, so i may put the 2.8 daihatsu turbo in the 110, and put the 2.5 land rover td into the series with series gearbox, as it is less powerful and will not strain it as much,

thanks

Farmer dude. i'm doing this to mine now\ been doign it for ages. Currently wishing i had just brought a 90!!!

is there anything else that needs to be done, it had a 200tdi in it but the last owner bought it to and took the 200 out for his 90 which is a shame because it was only a disco engine and there are pleny of those around, but never mind, i would not have ended up with it if he did not.

Considering the fragile nature of the 2.5TD,try to plumb in a aftermarket oil cooler as it would have had one in 90/110

no they don't, no TD engine in 90/110 had a factory fitted intercooler, only Tdi/Td5/Tdci have them factory fitted.