How many Defenders/Series have a patch on the back door?

You know when you notice something you'd never noticed before then everybody seems to have one?

On my trundle home (slow but steady) I was passed by a 90 and a 110. Both had a patch on the back door where the spare had wrecked the frame.

So has mine.

So have many others I can think of.

We all know it's a carp mounting and they all do that, but is somebody missing a business opportunity? I've never seen a blanking patch for sale?

I've got a new 'old' back door ready for fitting. The frame is still in good nick and I'd like to take spare off bonnet 'cos both self and wife are short arses and struggle to see.

Obviously I could go for 'swing away' option but they cost money. Somewhere I've got the old bracket but if I fit that I'd be back to square 1 in a year or so.

So I'm looking for suggestions for foolproof (but cheap) door reinforcement. How do you weld reinforcement in with alloy skin. Carefully?

The usual issue with the door mounted spare is it wrecks the hinges.

IMO Thats the main reason for people removing the spare from the door and putting it on a carrier or inside or whatever.

The usual issue with the door mounted spare is it wrecks the hinges.

IMO Thats the main reason for people removing the spare from the door and putting it on a carrier or inside or whatever.

The main reason is it wrecks the door!

The steel frame flexes & snaps, usually across the middle by the "H" frame.

I don't want to appear blindingly obvious here, but how about just adding a swingaway wheel carrier when you fit the "new" rear door?

Edit :blush: Sorry, just re-read the first post, thats me out of ideas then!!

You know when you notice something you'd never noticed before then everybody seems to have one?

On my trundle home (slow but steady) I was passed by a 90 and a 110. Both had a patch on the back door where the spare had wrecked the frame.

So has mine.

So have many others I can think of.

We all know it's a carp mounting and they all do that, but is somebody missing a business opportunity? I've never seen a blanking patch for sale?

I've got a new 'old' back door ready for fitting. The frame is still in good nick and I'd like to take spare off bonnet 'cos both self and wife are short arses and struggle to see.

Obviously I could go for 'swing away' option but they cost money. Somewhere I've got the old bracket but if I fit that I'd be back to square 1 in a year or so.

So I'm looking for suggestions for foolproof (but cheap) door reinforcement. How do you weld reinforcement in with alloy skin. Carefully?

Someone on here made their own swing away, used ball joints for the pivots and so on. Looked pretty good and didn't cost a lot. Trouble is I can't remember who it was, doh! :unsure:

Do a search and you should find it.

Mark.

I'd like to take spare off bonnet 'cos both self and wife are short arses and struggle to see.

Cushions off the sofa are very cheap, put them in bin liners to match the vinyl interior, the missus won't notice. :lol:

Mine has a patch. I fitted said patch a couple of months ago when I moved the spare wheel to the roofrack.

My door wasn't destroyed, but was heading that way, and I needed clearance for hitching up to the towball.

Cheers

David

I had the spare on the back door, then fitted paddocks spare wheel carrier wich was a pain un clicking it every time you wanted to get in the back ,now ive fitted the wheel behind the seats with the bracket and clamp from landrover that you usually see on the back of the tub on truck cabs if you know what I mean :)