300tdi can it be done??

.... to swap my 200td engine with a 300tdi engine...

Hey Dinky just out of curosity why are you swapping a 200tdi with a 300tdi...whats wrong with the 200?

Also i have heard that(correct me if i am wrong)...the 200tdi was one of the best engines by LR...well what do you think?

Hey Dinky just out of curosity why are you swapping a 200tdi with a 300tdi...whats wrong with the 200?

Also i have heard that(correct me if i am wrong)...the 200tdi was one of the best engines by LR...well what do you think?

hi ali,the engine i am thinking of changing is a td not tdi :huh: cheer's dinky

hi ali,the engine i am thinking of changing is a td not tdi :huh: cheer's dinky

There are three later type diesel engines:

2.5TD (Generally has the word 'Turbo' on the back of a standard truck). This is not direct injection, and are known for their faults with turbo lubrication and head gasket issues (never owned one, just common things I hear said about them).

200tdi This is the first of the direct injection engines, according to Landrover not quite as good as a 300tdi as the 300tdi was created to improve on it. However, I have heard people say they were the best type, but I never hear any justification for that!!

300tdi, the engine i have, the pinnical of LR's direct injection engines (before all the electronics!). Some parts are more expensive that the 200tdi parts, but mine goes and goes and goes.

Just done this to mine. It was all done and dusted in a weekend. The backplate needed drilling and tapping for one stud and a couple need removing as they don't line up. Used the 200 engine mounts on the 300. Made a small cut and shut on the o/s chassis mount and notched the n/s engine mount to allow oil filter clearance. Modified the 300 exhaust downpipe to meet the rest of the system and had to change to the 300 rad as the 200/300 oil cooler pipe fittings are different. The only bit i had to get done professionally was to lengthen the oil cooler pipes by 5" as the engine sits at the back of the engine bay on the short bellhousing gearbox fitted to my defender. I would rather have this than fit it up and over the front axle as per the later defenders. A mix and match of the original plus the disco donor intercooler and cooling pipes saw everything plumbed in.

The Defender already had an electric fan which is good as the viscous is now to far from the rad to work and i fitted a remote oil filter kit onto the inner wing to save space and allow engine mount clearance. The bonus is that using my vacuum oil extractor i no longer need to crawl underneath to do oil and filter changes. I have also fitted a full width intercooler and adjusted the injection pump and now it really goes well.

Just done this to mine. It was all done and dusted in a weekend. The backplate needed drilling and tapping for one stud and a couple need removing as they don't line up. Used the 200 engine mounts on the 300. Made a small cut and shut on the o/s chassis mount and notched the n/s engine mount to allow oil filter clearance. Modified the 300 exhaust downpipe to meet the rest of the system and had to change to the 300 rad as the 200/300 oil cooler pipe fittings are different. The only bit i had to get done professionally was to lengthen the oil cooler pipes by 5" as the engine sits at the back of the engine bay on the short bellhousing gearbox fitted to my defender. I would rather have this than fit it up and over the front axle as per the later defenders. A mix and match of the original plus the disco donor intercooler and cooling pipes saw everything plumbed in.

The Defender already had an electric fan which is good as the viscous is now to far from the rad to work and i fitted a remote oil filter kit onto the inner wing to save space and allow engine mount clearance. The bonus is that using my vacuum oil extractor i no longer need to crawl underneath to do oil and filter changes. I have also fitted a full width intercooler and adjusted the injection pump and now it really goes well.

hi paul, i made a printing error , changing from 2.5 td, but the project seems to difficult for me being a novice this is my first defender, think i'll wait till someone puts up an acrhive , but i would love to do it. :) cheeer's defender dinky

I have Fitted a 300 tdi engine,gearbox and axles from a p plate discovery to my f plate 90. it was relativly easy to do but you only want to change the engine i guess and i didnt have to worry about the old gear box fitting the engine.

as far as the engine fitting all i had to do was cut the old mounts off and fab up some new ones and weld them on it the rite place,

all pipe work and stuff were easy to fit and match up as was the wireing harness only thing is im not sure if the glow plugs work so need to check that really at some point, although it starts fine as its direct injection just one cold day it might let me down

I have Fitted a 300 tdi engine,gearbox and axles from a p plate discovery to my f plate 90. it was relativly easy to do but you only want to change the engine i guess and i didnt have to worry about the old gear box fitting the engine.

as far as the engine fitting all i had to do was cut the old mounts off and fab up some new ones and weld them on it the rite place,

all pipe work and stuff were easy to fit and match up as was the wireing harness only thing is im not sure if the glow plugs work so need to check that really at some point, although it starts fine as its direct injection just one cold day it might let me down

hi trt1617, what it is my friend has a disco 300tdi, failed mot big time, if possible was going to change engine & gearbox, if possible to swap axles and anti roll bars as well to my 90 d reg. cheer's defender dinky :huh:

hi trt1617, what it is my friend has a disco 300tdi, failed mot big time, if possible was going to change engine & gearbox, if possible to swap axles and anti roll bars as well to my 90 d reg. cheer's defender dinky :huh:

well that is what iv done mate i mounted the gear box on the original mounts so the propshafts off my 90 would fit this did mean the gear levers are further back than normal and i now have no center seat. the seat box had to be cut and shut a bit to get it to fit and i have got the center consol out of the disco inbetween the seats at the moment to make it look a bit neater.

then fitted the engine on its new mounts further forward than the original engine was fitted but still plenty of room for everything else to be fitted around it.

and the only problem i had with the axels was the input flange on the rear one and that was easily sorted by ordering some bits from ashcroft transmissions to fit my 90 propshaft

i can take some pics if it would help and maybe email them to you

the back plate off the td engine should fit straight on to the 300 (iirc)

plenty of info here: http://www.nicksjungle.co.uk/300%20Tdi%20a...Conversion.html

hope all is useful to you

well that is what iv done mate i mounted the gear box on the original mounts so the propshafts off my 90 would fit this did mean the gear levers are further back than normal and i now have no center seat. the seat box had to be cut and shut a bit to get it to fit and i have got the center consol out of the disco inbetween the seats at the moment to make it look a bit neater.

then fitted the engine on its new mounts further forward than the original engine was fitted but still plenty of room for everything else to be fitted around it.

and the only problem i had with the axels was the input flange on the rear one and that was easily sorted by ordering some bits from ashcroft transmissions to fit my 90 propshaft

i can take some pics if it would help and maybe email them to you

hi trti6i7 , sent post cheer's defender dinky

the back plate off the td engine should fit straight on to the 300 (iirc)

plenty of info here: http://www.nicksjungle.co.uk/300%20Tdi%20a...Conversion.html

hope all is useful to you

hi bango690, sorry for delay thread and pictures great , , looks abit crowded in engine bay though, don't no when i will be doing it, maybe when and if we get any descent weather, thanks defender dinky