More suspension questions

landrover598

I bought some stainless / teflon ones to try on a future mod.

Sadly, the company who sold them (in the US) had dreadful after-sales. They sent the wrong bits - and refused to swap them saying that their terms for web sales say no refunds, swaps etc. if it's wrong - tough! Those terms were only available on request in writing by snail mail. They even admitted it was their fault - but still said tough!

The joints are quite nice having said that - but I don't want to use them for anything as I'm b@@@@@@d if I'm going to order any spares from them!

Post a link to the ones you've found - I'm interested!

Si

Sorry - noise, vibration and harshness. = 'suspension ickyness'

Yes, its a regular mod on race cars (replacing every bush with a rose joint) to go and sharpen everything up. IMHO a mixture of bushes and joints would probably work quite well. The only issue with them is that if they get any wear (likely in mud) they have to go in the bin. Much, much worse than a worn out bush. IIRC Paul Wightman experimented with them on his 3-link setup but soon found he as replacing the joints after every event.

Yes, its a regular mod on race cars (replacing every bush with a rose joint) to go and sharpen everything up. IMHO a mixture of bushes and joints would probably work quite well. The only issue with them is that if they get any wear (likely in mud) they have to go in the bin. Much, much worse than a worn out bush. IIRC Paul Wightman experimented with them on his 3-link setup but soon found he as replacing the joints after every event.

Steve loydes truck uses one on every suspension link with a bush at the other end, we found some cool rubber boots for them and havn't got any play in any of them after 7 events (well half events of late).

Any more info on these ?

I use rose jointed steering on the freelanders after three years racing I have just had to replace one.

I get mine from Engineering Motor Sport 01327 855200 they were the ones that supplied Msport when the set up was built

Being using Rose joints on my rear trailing arms for 2 years.

Ace :D

Should have done it eariler.

The only prob we have encountered tis that you must mantain them, and you get what you pay for.

We also tryed on the front but found that the lack of bushing caused the radius arms to facture :huh:

Buy cheap, get cheap.

One of my friends rose jointed the whole back end, and my god the noise was deafening, evreything was transfered up the arms to the chassis and then body.

We leave one end bushed the other jointed.

We are just a bout to test some new fancy rebuildables, but as i said, you get what you pay for ;)

Also be aware of the amount of deflection you are looking for (side to side movement) as you will be suprised by the difference.

Hope this helps.

Jim :)

Being using Rose joints on my rear trailing arms for 2 years.

Ace :D

Should have done it eariler.

The only prob we have encountered tis that you must mantain them, and you get what you pay for.

We also tryed on the front but found that the lack of bushing caused the radius arms to facture :huh:

Buy cheap, get cheap.

One of my friends rose jointed the whole back end, and my god the noise was deafening, evreything was transfered up the arms to the chassis and then body.

We leave one end bushed the other jointed.

We are just a bout to test some new fancy rebuildables, but as i said, you get what you pay for ;)

Also be aware of the amount of deflection you are looking for (side to side movement) as you will be suprised by the difference.

Hope this helps.

Jim :)

having said that the rose joints I just bought are £75 each for the steering on the Freelander

Bout the same as Jules,

Ooouch :blink:

Hurts every time i think of it :lol:

They have lasted three years untouched on my Racer.

M14 threaded shaft but made for the job mine aren't standard and they were to M sport design.(WRC)

Interesting,

I was wondering about these things fitted to front and rear this morning,

spoke with the boss (avid racer) and been warned about vibs.

Other than that,as written above,they don't seem to last long in mud/water/dirt.

What makes me doubt about is the lack of movement allowed compared to standard bushes?

Maybe I'm wrong but do they allow only vertical movement given their construction?

Even if some lateral movement is possible with these ones...judgin' by the pic...

Pictureheim%20026.jpg

...maybe?

Just thoughts...

cheep rose joints wont last two mins once you get git and ****e in it wou need a high qualtiy one and they will cost owt from £50 up depending on size have some on the steering and they where £45 ea but unlike state side who like to use heim joint a lot our driving conditions over here contain a lot more mud and salt from the nroad that just eats these for dinner tried the greeseable 1s with a leather boot and any road use just nackerd them now we hav some jonny joints on the rear arms and they are lasting fine as they are greeesable and some are adjustable to take up slack the pluss side they have a ball joint in a nylon cup

now we hav some jonny joints on the rear arms and they are lasting fine as they are greeesable and some are adjustable to take up slack the pluss side they have a ball joint in a nylon cup

Post piccies.