Valeo. Borg and Beck, AP Driveline

Gents,

Looking to buy the 130 heavy duty clutch (STC8358) recomended by so many for my 90.

I was all set to buy a borg and beck number only to discover on the Paddocks web site that they are now known as AP Driveline....

.....and then read a thread on here that AP driveline have gone into administration and that you get a Sh**part clutch instead!!

Can someone cast any light on the above?

Are borg and beck defunct? Are AP Driveline in administration? Are AP Driveline any good?

Finally are there any decent suppliers (read as quality and value) for any of the above? (if they havent gone under....)

Is my only option a valeo clutch.......?

I am feeling a bit confused now. :D:D

Cheers

G :)

Interestingly if you order a genuine STC8358 90/110 Tdi clutch kit it now comes superceded to a new LRxxxxxx type part number, and the 130 HD plate is included - a different design to anything I have seen before but looks stronger/better and has the slightly wider diameter friction material to maximum the contact area on the pressure plate.

Bit of head scratching here the other day because we went to put one in a work vehicle and the alignment tool they have been using for 10 years doesn't fit through the centre of the plate ... however it was then discovered that despite this the plate fits onto the input shaft which is really odd! Closer inspection showed that the splines have a very slightly different profile on the new clutch but overall it looks like a better unit. Yes I should have taken a photo but I didn't.

A hunt around produced an old R380 input shaft which is now our new LRT-12-040 Mk 2 :)

so if you buy genuine, you automatically get the 130HD clutch supplied?

Paddocks list the number ST8358 number and then in brackets (not 300TDi Heavy Duty) :rolleyes:

Thats why i will be phoning in the order to Craddocks to confirm manufacturer first then place the order with them.

I will let you know what I get...

Cheers

so if you buy genuine, you automatically get the 130HD clutch supplied?

It would appear so. If you order a genuine STC8358 you now get shipped something under an LRxxxxx number (can't remember what it was) - which contains the HD clutch. You can tell from the diameter which is about 7mm bigger (242mm vs 235mm I think it said).

I suppose it makes sense - LR probably don't sell too many genuine 300Tdi clutches these days with most countries having not imported them for 10 years now, so it is probably a parts simplification - do away with the weak version and just sell the one type which will suit anything.

Oh well this news isnt so good.

I phones Paddocks who comfrmed that they cant supply the AP Driveline anymore as they are in liquidation and that the only alternative at the moment is Britpart.

I then phoned Craddock who informed me they cant provide me with a manufucturer name at all for their OE parts you just get whoever is their supplier at the time....

Any more ideas? Its not a rush as its for my project but I am running out of options and dont want to fit S**part items.

Cheers

I phones Paddocks who comfrmed that they cant supply the AP Driveline anymore as they are in liquidation and that the only alternative at the moment is Britpart.

I then phoned Craddock who informed me they cant provide me with a manufucturer name at all for their OE parts you just get whoever is their supplier at the time....

Any more ideas? Its not a rush as its for my project but I am running out of options and dont want to fit S**part items.

Cheers

You might try Mailorder 4x4 ( http://www.mailorder4x4.com/acatalog/Defen...utch_Kits.html) They are (puzzlingly to me as I thought they were the same) advertising both Borg & Beck £66 +VAT, & AP Lockheed £59.40 plus vat as well as the Valeos.

I have started looking at other suppliers as I think I will be needing one soon, and TBH people seem to have had problems of one sort or another with all these makes. I think ZF (ie Sachs) do one, but I haven't managed to run a dealer to ground .

Nigel

Cheers

go for the Valeo parts, that's what LR fitted as standard to Tdi's.

friction plate FTC1994 = 130HD

Bearing FTC5200

Cover URB100760

all fit both Tdi's, as curently fitted to my 200Tdi.

Hi,

I fitted a hd 130 valeo clutch kit to my 300tdi 90, I got it from mail order 4x4. I ordered it in the morning and it arrived the next day. I fitted it about 3 months ago and have had no problems so far. Oh yeah get a new clutch fork aswell!

<snip>

I think ZF (ie Sachs) do one, but I haven't managed to run a dealer to ground .

Nigel

They do and it should be fine.

I used a second hand Sachs clutch on my first race car sixteen years ago and it worked well, every bit as good as the AP Racing one that replaced it, and God only knows how it had been abused before i used it.

http://webcat.zf-trading.com/index.asp?LKZ...32,14,1632,1614

Sachs is what I have on my 300 Tdi Discovery for the past 3 years and it works like a charm. I would definitely fit the same thing against any of the most genuine of genuine clutches.

Here's a more direct link to the details of the Sachs clutch: click.

And the link for locating ZF vendors in UK: http://www.zf-trading.co.uk/direkt.php?lin...0000000000.html (select England/Scotland etc from the right side) - there's one right in Bolton - clicky, give them a call.

Sachs is what I have on my 300 Tdi Discovery for the past 3 years and it works like a charm. I would definitely fit the same thing against any of the most genuine of genuine clutches.

Here's a more direct link to the details of the Sachs clutch: click.

And the link for locating ZF vendors in UK: http://www.zf-trading.co.uk/direkt.php?lin...0000000000.html (select England/Scotland etc from the right side) - there's one right in Bolton - clicky, give them a call.

Ta,didn't realise they were Sachs agents - I used to get my BMW serviced there in the days when I could afford huge German motors and their petrol habit. I expect they'd have to order it in, but they used to be dead helpful, I doubt that'd be a problem.

Nigel

Ok well I just gave them a call and was told though they're Sachs dealers they only supply BMW parts. And in the past I have tried a couple of others in that list and been told similar stories, usually they only supply truck parts. Where did you get yours?

Nigel

I'm from a different part of the world so where did I get the clutch from is not of help to you.

E-mail zf-trading UK directly, give them the direct link to the clutch and ask them where to order the part from, mentioning who did you try to get it from.

Or if you have someone in France or Spain you can get the kit for 80 or 95 quid respectively + shipping.

:o ...just read this post.....seems i ordered from the paddocks site today an AP clutch kit.......and paid for it too... £59+vat etc.

i hope i get charged the lower amount now if i get one of the brit kits :angry: