heat up from below

Hi All

I am Dan and new to the forum, i have recently bought a 1987 landrover 90 2.5td she is stunning i think but so we all think of our landies, her name ATHENA

I am going to do the slow process of doing her up, she dose run well there many jobs to do but it's knowing whats right now or not is the question

I have done a good 250 mile run on motorway over a couple days my speed was a steady 50/60, when i had my window (driver's side) the heat would build up from the side of my chair and cubby box, the metal plates the chiar and box sit would get hot to touch not to burn, as soon as i put my window back up the heat would dissipate away

is this normal? if so can thurmal sheeting under the drivers chair and cubby box be used to send the back under the landie safely?

I have ready many post from other members about the transfer box and gear box, and understand these get hot when running on the motoway, i have checked the gear box oil level thats fine still need to buy the tool for the transfer box oil inspection hex? can't remember the name of the tool, told you i was learning, DOH

Thank you

Dan

heat from the main & transfer box is normal, as you've checked the fluid levels, there should be nothing to worry about,

to remove the transfer box fill/level plug just use your 1/2 inch square drive of the ratchet handle, no special tools needed.

Yes, it is normal to feel heat in this area, it comes from the gearbox & transfer box. It should not be so hot as to be alarming to you, you can quite easily touch the panels.

I only really notice it on days when the weather is hot, and I am wearing shorts.

HTH

Martin

is this normal?

if so can thurmal sheeting under the drivers chair and cubby box be used to send the back under the landie safely?

Yes

thermal insulated sheet works well, i had some flooring insulated backed padded foam foil left over from laying a wooden floor and used that in my 110 - worked well for me.

or keep the window closed!

some of the rovers i have owned its been too hot to touch - it just depends on how long the window is down for!

i dont understand.... how does the window being open make the transfer and gearbox hot? :huh:

I don't know why but it does.

I tried a lot of things to reduce that heat. The only effective one was the X-Eng disk handbrake. Again WHY ??

mike

I get this on my 110 but never used to get it on my 90. I thought it was due to the cat but I got that removed a couple months back and its still the same. There must be something that can be done to reduce it.

Ben

i dont understand.... how does the window being open make the transfer and gearbox hot? :huh:

Hi all

Thanks for all your help!

i think having the window makes a draw of air from under the 90 through the cab then window, the warm or hot air heats up the chair and box, shuuting thw window stops the air flow then letting the metal cool down, its an working idea

Dan