security for a soft top defender

I had a detachable gear stick that was then locked across the underside of the pedals.

I also used a locking pedal box that covered the pedals and left the lock in an almost inaccessible position to make picking difficult.

Another trick was to slide the seat forward (I had fitted MGB seats) so that there was no legroom and then padlock through the seat slider rail so that it couldn't slide back. As the padlock was under the seat it was difficult to get at with a bolt cropper.

Something I did with my MGB was to tip the drivers seat forward and lock the non removable headrest to the steering wheel with a motor bike U lock. The U lock was bent so that the U went from behind the head rest, through the steering wheel spokes and then under the column where the locking bar went.

I shall follow this thread with interest...

I have been pondering security for my soft top series 3 for a while now, A loud alarm triggered by doors and an imobiliser is on the cards. I also figured a large chain a shiney padlock through a wheel and over a chassis leg might deter somone. It lives in the garage at home, after i've removed the hood sticks. I also have an unmarked switch that kills the fuel pump and coil. Starting is via an unmarked push button rather than the ignigtion.

With my soft top 90 (when it was in the Uk ) I used to leave it unlocked. And had a cheap face off radio and a lockable heavy duty Exmoor trim Cubby box. And worked on the basis that if they want to get in they can by slashing the roof and that was more expensive to replace than anything they could nick inside .

As for stopping them from stealing it. I used to use one of those steering wheel locks and leave it in N in the transfer box. This would mean they would make alot of noise before reasliseing (if they even do) that the car was in N in the transfer box . And hoping by that time that you were up and hitting them with a cricket bat . On my old 200 TDi i took of the cable on top of the injector pump and put an inline swtich in line so i could switch it off from under the dash. This mean't if swtiched off the car would not start

I shall follow this thread with interest...

I have been pondering security for my soft top series 3 for a while now, A loud alarm triggered by doors and an imobiliser is on the cards. I also figured a large chain a shiney padlock through a wheel and over a chassis leg might deter somone. It lives in the garage at home, after i've removed the hood sticks. I also have an unmarked switch that kills the fuel pump and coil. Starting is via an unmarked push button rather than the ignigtion.

I understand your motives, however as someone who has had a member of joe public park up his car under my bedroom window whilst he went off on a dirty weekend (not mud) and expected me to stop any git from attacking his car when it woke me up, I disagree with the whole ethos of alarms and expecting someone else to stop the theft.

Besides which I have seen people happily deriving a car with the alarm in full voice etc.

As an owner of a Series 1 which is driven with no door tops or door locks I rely on large imovable and obvious locks and hidden switches.

Marc.

To stop theft from the back of the vehicle Patriot Roof Racks do a aluminium cage which sits just underneath the hood.

Just had a quick look at the Patriot website but can't find it. I know Jon at Venture Overland has one fited to his 110DC so if anyone is interested it might be worthwhile contacting him

Regards

Brendan

As most of you will know my 90 had an immobiliser and alarm and still got nicked. The MSS cubby then got crowbarred open.

The Series III has a MSS cubby - no alarm or immobiliser and will get a tilt at some point.

Security is via a crooklock when out and about and a discklock over the steering wheel at night. I also have a clutch claw which locks all 3 pedals together and stops them being depressed.

Best thing is just make it harder to steal so they move on.

I understand your motives, however as someone who has had a member of joe public park up his car under my bedroom window whilst he went off on a dirty weekend (not mud) and expected me to stop any git from attacking his car when it woke me up, I disagree with the whole ethos of alarms and expecting someone else to stop the theft.

Besides which I have seen people happily deriving a car with the alarm in full voice etc.

As an owner of a Series 1 which is driven with no door tops or door locks I rely on large imovable and obvious locks and hidden switches.

Marc.

It was more for my benefit if I happen to be close by rather than rely on anyone else. Parking up at a pub or outside a mates for a few hours for example.

Do what a Hells Angel did on his Harley.

Just parked it up with a note on the guages saying

"If you are daft enough to even sit on this bike, let alone steal it - you'll get what you deserve."

Most left it alone, but a muppet who did try nicking it found a problem when the spring loaded

marlinspike under the seat on a mercury switch was distrurbed. Aparently when the HA came out of the pub, saw

his Harley on its side, he just follwed the blood drips to "Have a word" with the now panicking pikey......

Poss not 100% legal.... maybe also not be fully Thatcham approved :lol: ?

:)

Nige

"If you are daft enough to even sit on this bike, let alone steal it - you'll get what you deserve."

Most left it alone, but a muppet who did try nicking it found a problem when the spring loaded

marlinspike under the seat on a mercury switch was distrurbed. Aparently when the HA came out of the pub, saw

his Harley on its side, he just follwed the blood drips to "Have a word" with the now panicking pikey......

Nige

Had a mate who had a Feista and put an elctric fench thing attc to the body work, with a swtich under the wheel arch to turn it off . He told me the Problem was a kid lean't against the car at his school and it had been building up power all day and throw him across the car park :D:D

Nige

Had a mate who had a Feista and he said he put an elctric fench thing attc to the body work, with a swtich under the wheel arch to turn it off . He told me the Problem was a kid lean't against the car at his school and it had been building up power all day and throw him across the car park :D:D