Dead winch - solenoid fault?

HotRod

I'd appreciate some advice please -my winch is dead....

There's power to the input terminal (A) from the battery, but nothing else.

There's no power sent to terminal B or the other two when you switch the remote control, even when you bypass the switch and takle power direct to the X inputs.

If I try to apply power directly to the B terminal or the others, there's sparks! so I can't test the motor directly. The drum runs freely on disconnect.

Should the solenoid click like a relay? if so looks like it may be dead? Are replacement solenoids available?

I assume that A (or the one behind it) will be the 12v heavy output for the winch motor (?) -can I use jump leads from A to B to test test winch motor?

Thanks

Simon

winch%20sol.JPG

Just looked online, seems Britpart wants 200 quid for a whole new lid/solenoid (part DB1303) if that is faulty - gulp...got to be a cheaper way??

****part?

Do you still have the box it came in......? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::P:P:P:P:P

Ahem, sorry, as Ralph said, get yourself an albright, but only after bypassing the existing solenoid and checking the winch responds to direct inputs.

I assume that A (or the one behind it) will be the 12v heavy output for the winch motor (?) -can I use jump leads from A to B to test test winch motor?

Nope,

Firstly, on the motor make sure it has good ground connected. Then put a jumper between A and F1, and positive on F2 and motor will turn in on direction, then move jumper between A and F2 with pos on F1 and motor will turn in other direction. If it does then it's solenoids or wiring. If wiring ok change out solenoids.

As said above get an Albright or good copy from the likes of FirstFour. It will set you back ~£40-60

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys -the soleniod price sounds better than buying half a winch if that is the problem! Sadly don;t have a box as the winch was fitted when I bought the Landy!

Re the

On my marked up photo -which are F1 and F2? [ie are they 'B ', the terminal directly behind B or the temrianl behind A? I

I tried to bridge A to other terminals with a wire but got sparks as I connected (not suprisingly) but can link them more safely with the power off (isolator switch) & then switch on to test motor -just need to suss which ones are fwd/rev. Winch earth is undisturbed and previously fine.

Thanks

Simon

The F1, F2 and A terminals are on the outside of the winch motor. Probably under protective caps that once removed will show nut and thread type terminals.

And yes solenoids should click like relays. Similar sounds to when a starter motor clicks but doesn't turn.

The F1, F2 and A terminals are on the outside of the winch motor. Probably under protective caps that once removed will show nut and thread type terminals.

And yes solenoids should click like relays. Similar sounds to when a starter motor clicks but doesn't turn.

Andy - thanks for that, makes sense of course to jump to the motor itself to test it, rather than the outputs of the solenoid (though if wiring is sound, should have same effect).

Any idea which colour is which?

No sign of life from the solenoid so I'm guessing its fried!

Simon

Any idea which colour is which?

On my Warn the F1 and F2 wires are red.....so not much help to either of us.

When I had similar fault on my Warn, I free spooled out some of the rope and then tried the terminals, in case you get it wrong it doesn't try to wind in an already tight rope :)

You can usually determine A, F1, F2 frm their positioning on the motor.

A will be on it's own towards the end of the motor away from the winch, whilst F1 and F2 will be together towards the shaft-end of the motor.

It doesn't matter which is field terminal is F1 or F2, if your winch works in the opposite direction to what you'd expect, just swap the wires around.

Re: Firstly, on the motor make sure it has good ground connected. Then put a jumper between A and F1, and positive on F2 and motor will turn in on direction, then move jumper between A and F2 with pos on F1 and motor will turn in other direction. If it does then it's solenoids or wiring. If wiring ok change out solenoids.

Looks like I was unlucky choosing to label the feed terminal 'A' when the diagram includes a terminal A being one of the others....

So... if I'm referring to the terminals in my photo as Left closest/Left behind and Right closest/Right behind - which ones are the A, F1 and F2 please???

I agree with luke.

Firstly check that the winch is well earthed (earth wire normally connects to the underside of the winch motor housing.) The earth should run back to the battery.

Now disconnect the three terminals on top of the winch.

Now try the tests described above. You must completely separate the solenoid pack form the winch to get conclusive results.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry to bump an old thread!

Having an issue with my DB9500i Britpart winch.

The cable unwinds fine with the motor, but when pressing the remote to wind the cable back in, I can hear a clicking sound when pressing the button and nothing happens with the motor. Not sure if its a solenoid fault? Going to have a play with it tonight.

As said above, I have been quoted £210 for a new solenoid.

I see western has posted a link that no longer works. Could anyone confirm if this would be ok if I replaced it with my existing solenoid?

Thanks! :)