Which TDI

Johnny

The 200TDi conversion is more commonly performed, and I suspect this is down to the fact that there appears to be more parts on the market for the conversion.

Overall performance between the two powerplants is very close. Some say the 200TDi is better, some say the 300TDi. On paper both powerplants produce the same horsepower and torque while in factory spec.

For ease of fitting,durability and cost of buying i would vote for the 200. :)

The 300 has a much better exhaust downpipe position - no need for one of those ugly conversion downpipes.

Is a 200 more durable?

Cost? I think on a like for like basis,a 300 would be cheaper,but nothing much in it.

The truth is,fit either one,but fit the best quality engine you can find,there is so little to choose between them - a low milage disco used for the school runis what you want.

As mentioned the 200's are the most popular at this time. There are a few of us who do have 300's in our series, either way you look at it both engines are a far cry better than what you have now. The amount of work or fab. for either engine conversion, I would say are about on par with each other.

Todd.

As mentioned the 200's are the most popular at this time. There are a few of us who do have 300's in our series, either way you look at it both engines are a far cry better than what you have now. The amount of work or fab. for either engine conversion, I would say are about on par with each other.

Todd.

Thank you, for you comments,

So to hunt down a DTi Local paper has one for sale with 50,000 miles on it for a rather heafty £500 quid, worth it maybe if it was going into a project to travel around Europe, but I'm not so it can have a higher millage somewhere between 70 and 110K for up to £200 sound about right?

What Id really love is to see a conversion thats been completed. If anyone is close to Letchworth in Hertfordshire willing to spare half an hour showing me their conversion and point in the right direction please drop me a line johnjmcnstrctn@aol.com

Thanks

Thank you, for you comments,

So to hunt down a DTi Local paper has one for sale with 50,000 miles on it for a rather heafty £500 quid, worth it maybe if it was going into a project to travel around Europe, but I'm not so it can have a higher millage somewhere between 70 and 110K for up to £200 sound about right?

What Id really love is to see a conversion thats been completed. If anyone is close to Letchworth in Hertfordshire willing to spare half an hour showing me their conversion and point in the right direction please drop me a line johnjmcnstrctn@aol.com

Thanks

i bought a 130.000 miler for £275 but a good engine should do 300.000 miles.

graham

1962 2a swb 200 tdi.

a low milage disco used for the school runis what you want.

Wouldn't that be one of the poorer engine choices? Given the fact that most school runs are within a few miles, the engine will spend more time running stone cold than up to temp won't it? Wouldn't this accelerate the wear far quicker than if it had done many more miles but at full temp?

i bought a 130.000 miler for £275 but a good engine should do 300.000 miles.

graham

I paid 2500:- Sv Krona (£194) for an 300Tdi with a touch over 100k on it.

Prices do vary from different locations but if you bought a complete MOT failure, you could sell off the extra parts to break even or make a small profit. ;)

Graham is totally right, the Tdi motors will do that mileage and more if properly looked after. Therefore don't be put off if you find a motor that has 100k or more on it.

Todd.

I went with a 200TDI and love it every bit. The intercooler plumbing is needed for both TDI engines, and an exhaust system must be fabricated/bought for either. You can buy an exhaust for the 200TDI, or you can make one like I did, but I don't know of a bolt in exhaust for the 300TDI. the 200 TDI engine bolts into the chassis and gearbox, but the 300 does not. Tuko can provide specifics on the 300. As mentioned earlier, either motor is a dramatic upgrade to the 2.5.

Does that mean you could put an r380 box on a 200, just by changing the fly wheel housing?

Possibly & IIRC the spigot bush in the end of the crank, clutch is common to both engines,but the engine will have to sit up & forward over the front axle [as per a genuine 300Tdi] the short mainshaft/bell housing R380, like mine are very hard to find.

Surely there's little difference in the conversion - a 300tdi will bolt in place of a 200tdi so I can't see it makes much odds.

But then I'd put an Isuzu 2.8 in over either of those lumps so what do I know :P

true for the most part, but the motor mounts need to be fabricated with a 300, where as the series mounts bolt up to the 200.

There's a wee little problem on the right side of the block.

Either engine including the Jap motor is doable with time and patience.

Its just a question if you want to stay with Land Rover or not.

Todd.

I wish I could find a 200tdi for anywhere near those figures around here. So far the closest I reached was £600 for a T&T failure of dodgy provenance. So if anyone hears of one local'ish please let me know ;)

Touched on the option of dropping in a 300tdi as they seem to be far more common due to the amount manufactured - and cheaper in some cases. But cutting off a perfectly good engine mount off a brand new galv Richard's chassis seems a bit extreme.........but I might have to do it!

• 2 weeks later...

Based upon this thread so far I have a question that only an American would ask.

Would a 300tdi mate up to a Series gearbox if you used the flywheel housing off a 2.25L petrol engine???

We have a Land Rover gap between 1974 and 1993 with only a small number of V8 Defenders in the 1993 through '98 group. Mostly we have Series petrol trucks.

So would a 2.25L petrol flywheel housing from a IIA work as an adapter?? It never occurred to me that you can drop a 300tdi into a Series truck because of differences in the bellhousing mounting pattern.

Based upon this thread so far I have a question that only an American would ask.

Would a 300tdi mate up to a Series gearbox if you used the flywheel housing off a 2.25L petrol engine???

So would a 2.25L petrol flywheel housing from a IIA work as an adapter?? It never occurred to me that you can drop a 300tdi into a Series truck because of differences in the bellhousing mounting pattern.

Hej TeriAnn,

A series 3 bellhousing will fit up to a 300Tdi fly wheel housing, but you will have to be creative with the mounting studs. A few need to removed and at the bottom of the fly wheel housing 2 new studs will be mounted there and also in the corresponding position of the bell housing will be drilled out. The 300Tdi bell housing has 12 bolts, but once I was finished I lost one.

More can be seen here in my thread of the conversion CLICKY

Cheers,

Todd.

Hi chaps, the comment about the 300tdi is right, I have one in the garage ready for inserting into my series 3, one side of the engine has mounts in the right place, and t'other does not.

Also the drive belt is a serpentine, unlike the 200, you have to remove the power steering pump and fit a shorter belt.

One good thing about it is the bellhousing will fit the series box without any mods including the counterbored bolts.

Some of the 300's have a digital stop solenoid which is offfputting but not hard to bypass, some are an 'eds' which is a 'fly by wire' setup and not practical for us bashers.

Heres some photo's of the 300 including the aforementiomned mounts.

Image072.jpg

Image071.jpg

Image068.jpg

Image070.jpg