Guidance on Conversion kit..

I will be doing the 'Uncle Les' 200TDi Discovery conversion soon and have started to look at suitable suppliers for various components. Before I part with my hard earned cash I'd like to know what any one thinks of this kit - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/discovery-200tdi-int...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Good or bad...or if any one else has an alternative?

Cheers

Looks ok to me. I'm not too sure about the downpipe though - too angular. I would expect there to be a bit too much back pressure - due to all the corners. It would be better if it was curved. The Steve Parker downpipe is over £100 on it's own, so the whole kit is quite cheap in comparison.

Les.

cant get on linky from work but is it the bloke that in scotland as i got one of his kits made it so simple

and cheaper as i couldnt afford the steve parker one

2009_01250014.jpg

down pipe

DSC01392.jpg

mines mated up to a new td exhaust which i wood say reduces back a pressure a wee bit coz when i ran it with out an exhaust it was a lot more responsive

pm me if u get stuck

matt

that was the kit we used last year, and to be fair, it fits nicely to the TD exhaust (which was fitted 2 weeks ago)

IMHO it's a good option for someone on a budget, who isn't too concerned about fancy looking downpipes :)

Hi there,

I bought the down pipe of this guy, and like others said it doesnt scream quality (it was hardly worth painting the thing!)

However it did the trick. Any performance decrease was unnoticed as i upgraded from a 2.5NA

Cheers

Neil

Doesn't scream quality - he could at least weld all the way round that flange :huh: but I suppose if you can't fish some exhaust out of the local KwikFit skip and glue it together yourself then it saves a bit of faffing.

Fridge,

I think it has a full seam weld round the inside, hence the stitch welding on the outside. Could be the stitch welds help to clear the bolt heads. And it would have to be fully seam welded inside to prevent exhaust gases escaping.

Regards,

cant get on linky from work but is it the bloke that in scotland as i got one of his kits made it so simple

and cheaper as i couldnt afford the steve parker one

2009_01250014.jpg

down pipe

DSC01392.jpg

mines mated up to a new td exhaust which i wood say reduces back a pressure a wee bit coz when i ran it with out an exhaust it was a lot more responsive

pm me if u get stuck

matt

Hi Matt,

I think it probably is the same kit as it looks identical. With the comments from the techies of the forum I think that I will sell a few more bits from the donor Discovery and pay the difference for the Steve Parker parts.

You may yet get a PM for help so many thanks for the offer :)

Thanks again

Gavin

Well a big thanks to all that replied. It just goes to show the difference of opinion on even relatively simple things. Some thing that it obvious is my lack of knowledge on all things mechanical as I would never have known that because of the cutting and welding in the pipe there would be a problem with back pressure :blink: I just wanted to buy some thing that would help make the conversion go more smoothly rather than me buying the kit to be able to do the work, materials to use and lots of swearing as I botch my way though to some thing that probably isn't fit for purpose! :P

So with that in mind I think that I will sell some more bits from the Discovery and pay the difference for the Steve Parker conversion.

Big thanks to every one

Gavin

You could sell a few more bits, buy a welder and grinder, and then be self-sufficient in making things fit.

Yep long term plan is to get kit like a welder and other fancy stuff and start the long and no doubt painful path to self suffiency and enlightenment :ph34r::blink:

All I need to do is find suitable courses to show me the right way rather than me start botching and just think I'm getting better :rolleyes:

There's plenty of info & advice in the Tools'n'Fab forum, from which welder to buy, how to weld, etc. and of course if you need advice you can post up pictures of your efforts for everyone to critique :P

Yep have spent many happy hours looking through the Tools'n'fab forum spending hundreds of pounds :lol: and even looking forward to the friendly critique :blush:

there was a really nice down pipe sold on ebay made of stainless but bloke went broke so i never got one it was cheaper than steve parker and looked better quality as it was bent rather than welded.

i wood say if u get his intercooler pipes give thema good spray as mine went red rusty very quickly.

but these could be very easily made your self with some silicone pipe off the old bay and some pipe

DSC00239-1.jpg