Recommendations for a few random parts

Hmmm, so after all that......it looks like the Machine Mart one may be the better option for me then?

Shame about the spreader plate things......I have had scaffolding up around my work for 2 months, but its gone now.......I could have stolen borrowed one to assess suitability of these things easily. ;)

What other things can we think of that can be used as a spreader plate? I wont have any room under my battery box for a sheet of wood, so will have to keep it in the back.

What I am trying to do for this trip, to save, and best utilise the space I have, is to find multiple uses for an item. Is there a product I can use as a jack spreader plate that can be used elsewhere?

Martin

Storing shovels can be awkward! The one on the left splits down for easy storage. In its long form it makes digging sand from under diff/chassis rails a lot easier. Take haft the shaft out and it is standard length shovel

IMG_8914.jpg

I got mine in Australia. Not sure if they are available in the UK

Regards

Brendan

The Machine Mart one is only single stage plus a screw adjuster so likely to suffer from exactly the problem I described above. The stroke of the ram is what is important not the ultimate lift height - adjustment of the screw is difficult with the weight of the vehicle sat on it :)

The Machine Mart one is only single stage plus a screw adjuster so likely to suffer from exactly the problem I described above. The stroke of the ram is what is important not the ultimate lift height - adjustment of the screw is difficult with the weight of the vehicle sat on it :)

But the folding axle stand which is used as a safety precaution solves that problem.

Regards

Brendan

I carry two Discovey jacks. You should be able to pick them up for peanuts are a lot go into the scrap bin.

I have the folding axle stand. Not that I would think of using that a a stand alone item, I'd keep the jack there as well.

As for the jack base, Why carry something extra when Land Rover fir two to every Defender. KISS....

mike

I dont get it.

What 2 things are you talking about Mike?

Mike is referring to the two lids , one on the battery box, the other on the drivers seat storage box. Without reinforcing these lids with plywood I would be concerned that they would deform when used as a jack load spreading plate.

Regards

Brendan

Besides a bottle jack you also need a folding axle stand and two pieces of ply as load spreading plates. USE them!

IMG_9725.jpg

Just read this tread. I would like to make one comment on that axle stand. It is cheap and nasty, and the same as one of my dutch mates used to work on his Pug 205. Exept when he lowered the car on the stand, it collapsed due to non existant welding.

So, my advise is to chuck it and disable so no one can ever use it again, or at least check the welds. No good saying it is only a safety precuation, because it is no good to carry a landrover when you really need it IMO.

Daan

Hi Daan,

Just read your reply and dug the folding axle stand out of the back of the 110.

I can not see any important structural welds.

The welds I can see are as follows

1) Full ring weld fastening saddle to upright tube. Location weld rather then structural?

2) Continuous weld of feet to leg. Non structural?? Will provide stability to U shaped legs

3) 3 tack welds to base of upright tube. Non structural. Provides a stop for the 3 piece central ring which stops legs splaying too far.

4) 3 locating tubes for top leg pivot points. These are tack welded top and bottom and as far as I can seen is non strutural.

With no load applied to the stand the base of the upright tube just about touches the floor. Assuming under a reasonable load the base of the upright tube touches the floor then the axle stand is being basically loaded vertically down a fixed column.

The 'weak' point as I see it would be the solid 6mm(?) rivets which act as pivot points for the folding legs.

The one I have appears to be like tis available on ebay

sw2tfas_down.jpg

Have had a look at the others on ebay and the feet appear to be held on by 3 tack welds rather then the continuous welds on this one.

There is no room in my vehicles for something which is not capable of working properly.

Can you recommend a better folding axle stand?

Regards

Brendan

It broke on one of the top leg fixings, were a bush is welded straight to the tube.

Pic with arrow:

axlestand.jpg

If yours is ok, I dont think its a problem, but I thought I mention it for the safety of our members.

I have a mental block whenever I see one of these, and voted to never touch one again.

I use 6 ton fixed axlestands at home or a spare wheel in the field.

Daan

Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking too.

Er, actually, I have no idea what your on about! Do you have a link to any product you think is suitable please.

A bottle jack with a good lift range and a large area base to spread the load in soft ground.

I made myself a 300x180mm rectangular plate from 6mm thick Durbar (mild steel anti-slip plate with little diamond stick-up blobs) when I first bought my Jackal high lift jack. Cut a couple of arrow heads and welded to the Durbar side and a couple of pins to co-incide with the 2 holes in the base of the Jackall. Smooth side up in use, Durbar down with arrow heads to grip ground.

You could do the same for your hydraulic jack, drill 2 Ø8mm holes, make a base with 2 pins holds everything nice and safe and spreads the load. Might save you a lot of aggrovation if in sand :lol:

I agree with the disco bottle jack, I'm sure someone on here has one lurking in their shed they would sell you for not a lot of cash...

For the bumper use grip tape or paint with sand in it...

as for the jack base, the ply on the bottom of the batter box lid is a good idea....

I'll second the grip tape suggestion. I picked up a roll of skateboard deck tape (about 4 - 6" wide) - and cut out shaped sections to suit where I wanted it on my winch bumper.

I can't comment on the bottle jack as personnally I prefer using a trolley jack.

As for replacing the radiator / filler cap - you'll find that they are the same fitting as domestic central heating radiators. I got my replacements from Wickes I think - stainless steel with a rubber O ring seal.

Matt

for non slip surfacing try skateboard grip tape, its cheap, can be cut to size, replaced easily when it eventually wears down, and works well in all weathers, it's what i've used before on my bumper.

the only downside is having to go into a skate shop and buy some, you get funny looks buying such things when you're over 21..... :P

the only downside is having to go into a skate shop and buy some

:lol:

I dont have that problem. I am 36, but have a finely honed athletic physique, and can easily pass for an 18 year old but look 40 and could always pretend I was getting some for my son or other fictitious child.

I welded some of this to my bumper. Haven't got any pics of the actual bumper at the moment though. It works very well, even when you have been walking in deep mud.

bild_strackmetall.jpg

Btw. What's this kind of net called in English? Freely translated it's called "stretch metal" in Swedish.

OK, a quick update.

I have managed to almost sort all of this out now.

A very big "Thank You" to Simon from X-Eng for an X-Cap.

A very big "Thank You" to Nicholas at my garage in Luton for digging out an old Disco bottle jack for me for nowt, just need to go and collect it.

And I have sorted out the bumper end bits quite nicely too. Thanks to James for pointing me in the direction of Tread Master. You can get a couple of sheets of diamond tread black anti-slip marine grade rubber for £15 with free delivery.

Just fitted it to the bumper and it looks ace!

post-3030-1247164680_thumb.jpg

post-3030-1247164703_thumb.jpg

There will be other bits I need help locating as I go along, so expect more advice soon!

Martin