relay current drain

windrover

i recently installed several hella relays which are drawing 150mA each when the circuit switch is off... the circuits seem to function normally, but the battery is drained down quickly. the relays show normally open as the relay switch position. any ideas?

i recently installed several hella relays which are drawing 150mA each when the circuit switch is off... the circuits seem to function normally, but the battery is drained down quickly. the relays show normally open as the relay switch position. any ideas?

150mA is about normal for the coil current when they are energised. So it sounds to me that your wiring is wrong and the relays are energised the whole time hence the flat battery. It the control circuit switch is off, the relay coil should be off and between the C terminal on the relay, there should only be continuity between there and the NC contact, with C and NO open circuit. Depending on the relay they may also be numbered in various combinations of 85, 86, 87, 30 or 15.

Do you mean the coil circuit or the lamp circuit is drawing the current?

If it's the lamp circuit try reversing the wires connected to the contacts, they may have a diode connected accross them.

If it's the coil circuit do you have indicator bulbs in the switches? You may have got the wiring wrong so the coils and indicators end up in series with the switch off. This will allow current to leak through the coil, but it won't be sufficient to illuminate the bulb in the switch.

If it's the coil circuit do you have indicator bulbs in the switches? You may have got the wiring wrong so the coils and indicators end up in series with the switch off. This will allow current to leak through the coil, but it won't be sufficient to illuminate the bulb in the switch.

I can't get that to work, but see the following examples:

post-8420-1247999298_thumb.png

Do you mean the coil circuit or the lamp circuit is drawing the current?

If it's the lamp circuit try reversing the wires connected to the contacts, they may have a diode connected accross them.

The present configuration is pin 30-constant power in, pin 86-switch power in, pin 85- grd, pin 87-power to electrical device.

I measured the drain from the relay by measuring the current flowing through an ammeter attached to the neg. battery terminal when all of the fuses are removed and only one relay is in place. i see that i will have to be more specific in my approach...this isn't an innate ability for me :( thanks for all the suggestions, Ken

somewhat embarrassed by this, but it may help someone from making the same mistake...the relays were put into a hella relay box. at the back of the box are plastic inserts with the relay pin numbers. the wires went to the correct plastic insert numbers, but i must have the wrong hella relays for the box because the relay pin numbers did not line up with the box plastic insert numbers. anyhow with wiring rearranged to the correct pins on the relays they are working properly, and the drain is only 30mA now which i guess is normal. thanks for the responses, and i hope i didn't waste too much of your time. Ken

If you have corrected the wiring to the pins and there is still a small current draw then everything is still not perfect.

Have you taken the negative wire all the way back to the battery?

Regards

Brendan

sorry, what i meant was the drain on the battery from all the circuits is now 30mA.

thx, Ken

sorry, what i meant was the drain on the battery from all the circuits is now 30mA.

thx, Ken

30mA will still flatten the battery, if the relays are wired correctly it should be zero mA when off. Disconnect all your relays and check again. If you still have 30mA you have another fault elsewhere.

As Aaragon said - I would hope a battery capable of starting a Land Rover can sustain 30ma current draw :ph34r:

Well, for about 7 weeks at least. Radio memory backup, ECU standby, clock, all good candidates*

* assuming you have these luxuries fitted :)

yes, clock and central locking fitted...which is likely drawing the 30 mA. i followed a previous post on fitting central locking to a rear door latch and applied that to the front locking doors also. works well as i am in and out of my vehicle frequently during the daypost-12093-1248281410_thumb.jpg