Another head gasket?

Hi all

Still suffering with overheating problems with my 200tdi, temp gauge goes virtually into red and sitting 2/3-3/4 of the way across gauge. Have replaced gauge, wiring, water pump, thermostat and expansion tank cap. I also flushed the system and removed the rad to inspect it. Seems fine externally and was recored 4 years ago so I am reluctant to replace it but running out of other ideas. I will also try new rad hoses although I doubt this is the problem.

Head gasket was replaced six months ago and it has been running hot ever since and also just before the gasket went pop, it blew between a cylinder and one of the coolant passageways where the head had corroded slightly. Head was skimmed to hopefully cure this.

Any ideas on what to try next? Due to take the 110 to france in a couple of weeks!

Cheers mark

id get it tested

or just got the head off and put a new gasget in

my 200tdi was doing something simaler it turned out to be a heir line crack from the water way to the exhast i'd never have found it but the exhast gasget was going so there was a black gunk oussing out

When you say pressure tested do you mean a cylinder leakdown test, compression test, cooling system pressure test or something else?

a full cooling system pressure test will tell you if any leaks exist & it should show up any hairline cracks in the cylinder head.

a full cooling system pressure test will tell you if any leaks exist & it should show up any hairline cracks in the cylinder head.

Local garage suggested doing a 'sniffer' test by adding a chemical to the coolant which changes colour if it mixes with combustion gases. He said he would only charge a fiver so I'll get that done as soon as I get chance.

Local garage suggested doing a 'sniffer' test by adding a chemical to the coolant which changes colour if it mixes with combustion gases. He said he would only charge a fiver so I'll get that done as soon as I get chance.

Hi Mark

If you havn't lost any coolant I would susspect a blocked rad. It may have been caused by gunge from your head gasket failure, or if it's had radweld or similar in it.

Hi Mark

If you havn't lost any coolant I would susspect a blocked rad. It may have been caused by gunge from your head gasket failure, or if it's had radweld or similar in it.

You might be right, lets hope so!

I don't seem to be loosing any coolant. But the strange thing is the temp goes well over halfway after only a mile or two of driving. I don't see how it could be the rad as the thermostat will still be closed then.

To my mind the fact that the engine is getting hot this quickly points to engine problems rather than a faulty cooling system.

In the past the engine would take 15 mins or so to get up to this temp?

Have you checked the thermostat? It looks like restricted flow out of the head to me - the obvious culprit being either debris from the old gasket, poorly manufactured gasket, or thermostat.

Les.

Yeah I've changed the stat to a britpart one and have now replaced that with a genuine landrover item, still no difference.

It could well be a restriction in the coolant passages within the head or block but I'm not sure how to flush it out. I've already used a flushing chemical and connected a hose to the heater connections on the head and to be honest it ran pretty clear. I suppose the best way is to take the head off?

Have you come across this problem of poorly manufactured gaskets. It was a cheapish one from Paddocks.

I always buy good quality gaskets, such as Payen, BGA, etc. I've never known a 200TDi head to crack - it would take some serious overheating for that to happen. I would imagine that a cracked head (although causing the engine to appear to overheat), would also cause coolant loss.

Les.

I always buy good quality gaskets, such as Payen, BGA, etc. I've never known a 200TDi head to crack - it would take some serious overheating for that to happen. I would imagine that a cracked head (although causing the engine to appear to overheat), would also cause coolant loss.

Les.

Just had the sniffer test done and the result was negative - no combustion gases apparent in the coolant however as the guy said this doesn't confirm that the head and gasket are good. He suggested taking the head off and getting it pressure tested which I think I might do for peace of mind.

Do I risk it and head off to france in couple of weeks time or spend the next few evenings replacing a head gasket and checking the head which may be ok?

Either way I'm determined to find out whats causing the problem, I'd rather not find out in the middle of france though!

By the way Les where do you usually get your gaskets from?

Just a thought, are you sure the thermostat is the right way around?

Have you tried running (as a test) without thermostat?

As there is no other sign of overheating (no steam, no coolant loss) then I'd really look hard at thermostat, gauge accuracy and water sender accuracy.

G.

Les.

perhaps its a worn oil pump and theres not enough oil getting to the head :unsure:

Just a thought, are you sure the thermostat is the right way around?

Have you tried running (as a test) without thermostat?

As there is no other sign of overheating (no steam, no coolant loss) then I'd really look hard at thermostat, gauge accuracy and water sender accuracy.

G.

Sorry what do you mean by 'right way round'? Is it possible to fit it upside down?

Have taken a few readings with an infra red temperature gauge and the surface temp of the top hose near the stat is in the mid nineties so i suspect the coolant temp is a bit higher than this at the sender. Water coming through the bottom hose is approx 25 degrees less than the corresponding position on the top hose. However obviosly I have only tested this at standstill when there isn't a lot or airflow through rad.