HIDS on DII

Mean Green

and its not just the self levelling either - the actual lense is very different between a standard filament light and a HID. beam pattern, focus and spread are all different on a HID.

As above, retro fit HID bulbs are not legal, you need an entire light unit designed for HID.

Blimey, there's some "holier than thou" postings here. :P C'mon guys, lighten up ( pardon the pun. )

I've fitted HIDS to my series 1 Discovery with the standard light unit still in place. I've got piccies which I'll post somewhere. They are massively better than the standard H4 bulbs, generate less heat and use less current. I have had to seriously adjust the headlight units down to avoid dazzle. I've been running these for about 2 years now without a problem but I have to admit, at MOT time the H4's go back in. ;)

Piccies:

Here's the kit, it was an E-Bay purchase and cost around £100.

cf45_1.jpg

I've got pictures that I took as I did the intallation but can't put my hands on them at the moment. I'll post them when they turn up. ;)

Found them:

Front strip down to aid install:

IMG_5638-1.jpg

The bulbs:

IMG_5639.jpg

Nearside ballast installed:

IMG_5636.jpg

Offside ballast:

IMG_5635.jpg

The plug and play connection to the original H4 wiring:

IMG_5637.jpg

The main controller has it's own power source and the plug and play connector senses when you switch them on. BE WARNED: Apart from the warnings by other posters regarding legality, the dim dip sidelights do not operate with this conversion. ;)

I have Bosch HID's fitted to my MGF and my Discovery 1 and think they are brilliant as long as they dont affect other drivers. They have been fitted in the MGF for about 3 years and beed through every MOT since with no problem at all.

I will be fitting HID's to all my cars in future if they are not fitted as standard, they enable you to see further, signs, cats eyes and road markings "glow" far better making driving at night safer and the colour of the light is closer to daylight then halogen so causes less tiredness and eyestrain at night. As far as I'm concerned they are the best mod on my cars.

HIDs are not legal unless the headlight unit was designed for them, retrofitting them to a halogen unit is not allowed, that said I have done this and so have many of my friends with no problems at all.