Hello from the Isle of Man

RickB

Converting a leafer to a coiler is major work - altering both axles and chassis (and steering gear perhaps?), plus buying all the parts necessary to do it, then being quite good at welding/measuring accurately. You can fit parabolic suspension, which will lift it a small amount, and give you a softer ride/more fexible suspension. Fitting bigger tyres is usually the first thing to do, then suspension mods, closely follwed by a better engine (what engine have you got now?) fitting a snorkel to your current engine, then putting in a better lump is a bit of a waste of time.

Painting it depends on how good you want the finish to be.

Put a decent set of tyres on it and get used to it first, then decide on what mods you want to do to it.

Les.

OK, not nessasary but it would be good for off-roading! Also because my landy has no history it would have to go on a q plate. If i put the chassis number on the forum would any one be able to get hold of its history? BEcause if i cant it has a have expensive SVA tests ect! and it wouldn'y be tax exempt!

Max

nope, unfortunatly not, tax exempt status stops at 1973 vehicles & is no longer a rolling 25years. so when my '89 110 is 25 it still has to be road taxed as it is now.

If your vehicle was constructed before 1 January 1973, you could tax it in the 'historic vehicle' tax class. go to www.dvla.gov.uk & search for leaflet INF34

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

As I've joined the asylum, thought I'd drop in to say High and to introduce myself, well it's only polite.

I own a 1991 Discovery 200TDI, it's in quite a poor state but it's my intention to renovate her and take her back to her former glory, I live in Aberdeenshire and work part time in a local family run garage when they are really busy, I'm a Land Rover enthusiast and enjoy the technical side of Landy's, a friend mentioned this forum so thought I would check it out and sign up as a member.

Well that's all for now guys & gals, hope you won't mind me dropping in from time to time and asking for advice or help, I've even been known to come up with the odd bright idea.

Goz :D:D:D

A member from Gods own country - welcome Goz.

Pictures of your wreck are almost mandatory on here.

Les :)

Thanks for the welcome Les and others, still trying to find my way about and how to upload pics :blink: but Ill get there and post some pics of her Landyship as soon as I can.

Goz :D:D:D

All new members are welcome as long as they don't use that god-awful text speak, are not bald, sarf Africaan, Irish, beardy/hippy type,ginger, rambler, tree-hugger, or permanently wigged-out (like Nige actually) :P

Les. :lol:

Ummm...here's a lurking sarf Africaan beardy type :unsure:

post-13260-1234936949_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I'm new here and thought I would introduce myself.

I'm TeriAnn Wakeman. I live on the edge of Monterey bay in California and drive a 1960 SII Land Rover Dormobile conversion.

KaneCreekcamp.JPG

I have a second car, a 1961 Triumph TR3A.

TWTR.jpg

Hobbies that may be of interest to forum members are photography and and writing web pages.

My first Land Rover was a 1966 88 which I purchased in 1976. I purchased my 1960 109 in March 1978. She was a broken down worn out pickup that had been sitting under trees for a couple of years. The previous owner inherited the truck and only knew to put oil in the engine. He drove it until the read diff went dry, put it into 4WD and continued in front wheel drive until the transfercase went dry. It happened close to home so he had it towed home where it sat for a few years before I found the truck and had to rescue it.

GRtopSide.JPEG

March 1978 right after towing her home

Between 1978 and 1991 The Green Rover worked as a farm truck, carrying lives stock, hay, grain and once a month being filled to the roofline with manure & spent bedding. I put a full roof on her in 1979.

GRgoats.JPEG

During this time and afterwards I frequently went on weekend camping trips. But I found that beyond 3 or 4 days I really longed for the comforts of home.

So in 1996 I decided to bring home along with me on camping trips. I purchased a poor condition Dormobile kit from a Dormobile that was destroyed in a wreck and set about converting my truck to a motor caravan.

GR_preDormi.jpg

Coming home with the Dormobile kit.

Over the course of the next year I had the tares in the lifting roof repaired, new sticks made up to replace the rusted out ones, refinished the kit, fabricated a new second wardrobe, a second sink and refrigerator stand. Then I had the truck repainted 1973 Jaguar British Racing Green.

The Dormobile conversion was completed enough to be totally functional by late August 1997 and I headed off for a 3 month camping trip when the new paint was barely dry. During the following 52 weeks My Green Rover and I were out traveling and camping for a total of 20 weeks. It was also the 20th year that I owned my Land Rover as well as Land Rover's 50th year. I thought it was a good way to test out a new Dormobile conversion.

GRsnow.jpg

In 1999 The Green Rover received a 302 (5.0L) V8 conversion along with a Borg Warner T-18 truck gearbox and power steering.

Her current drive train consists of: a Ford Mustang 302 V8, Borg Warner T-18 gearbox, Series transfercase with Ashcroft high ratio kit, custom front & rear propshafts with long slip joints and high angle U joints, Rear Salisbury with ARB diff and hardened axles, the front is a Rover assembly with TruTrac automatic torque biasing diff and SeriesTrek 24 spline front axles. The R&P is the stronger 4.75:1 gear set.

So that's the bare bone basics. I just like to go out exploring in my motor caravan and taking pictures. My truck and I have been together for over 30 years now and I'm always looking forward to the next trip.

Nice cars, are you travelling at the moment? Cool site too..

Thanks, I like them.

Nope. I'm sitting at home. I currently have 2 trips planned with others, a week long camping trip North along the coast in late August and a week long trip into the death valley area between Christmas and New Years. I'm looking for a new place to live so I expect be exploring likely areas in Arizona and Colorado over the period of a month or so in my Dormobile.