300tdi shot blasted manifolds

I just wondered if anyone on here had tried these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-200-300-tdi-performance-inlet-manifold_W0QQitemZ160309776333QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2553350fcd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

For anyone who can't follow the link they are internally shotblasted, and externally painted orange. I have to say I'm a little sceptical, although anthing orange is bound to increase power (actually, shouldn't speak ill of the departed).

Nigel

unless its leaving the inside smooth i cant see how this will make any difference blasting leaves a rough finish unless its being done with glass bead which gives a nice smooth finish i had the ports on a mx bike tuned and thay come back like a mirror finish just my thoughts,chris.

Call me sceptical, but I can't see any gains from something that is basically a piece of pipe with side branches hung on it where needed to feed the engine!

I like the bit about turbo lag causing a loss of torque - maybe under transient conditions, but unlikely under steady state measurements.

PS: Don't knock the orange, there are other performance inducing colours wink.gif

Depending on the engine, rough internal surfaces can be the way to improve power at certain points of the inlet and exhaust tract - I've seen it done and subsequently shown on a dyno.

However - gas flowing produces minimal gains in a production turbo charged engine. I was told that by a guy who'd worked on tuning engines in GP's and a host of other motorsports.

Well they reckon they've sold 4, so good luck to them. Personally I'm with the 'one born every minute' faction - I would agree the performance gain over a new one is probably miniscule. If you are starting with something well coked by the EGR valve you might just conceivably see something tangible. But orange.. (or yellow)... I have to say I think it would clash rather with the rest of my underbonnet ambience.

Nigel

Hi Folks.

In therory they are right in what they claim, but on a bog std engine I doubt that the manifold threatment will make a notiseably difference, the only real thing that might give a dif is to move the point where the turbo see the boost up to the manifold, but it is a bit expencieve to go orange for that :huh:

Kind regards

Ole.