notebook mounting

mmgemini

Mike - i presume you can weld and its going in your discovery?

if so, get an old tv wall mount and modify it. To start with the bit that screws to the wall can be hacked off and a horizontal small flat plate welded on. With the weight of a notebook you can get away with 4 self tappers into the top of the dash to the side of the centre console and the 'arm' coming off the wall mount plate can also be shortened if required. means the mount that the laptop sits on will be just above and in front of the centre vents.

the plate the TV would sit on is too big - simply make a template of the bottom of your notebook and cut the top plate to size.

put a few strips of velcro on the plate and the bottom of the notebook and voila! You have a mount that moves left and right for both passenger and driver use, in and out and also has some vertical tilting movement to avoid those sunlight on the screen moments.

i've put a piccy of the type of tv mount i mean just to help you visualise. I will try and dig out a picture of the mount i had in our old discovery. We dont use a mount in the new disco, jsut sits on the dashboard with a bunch of anti slip matting under it. This is fine for purely tarmac travelling, but falls off when on greenlanes.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/unbranded/t/unbranded-tv-wall-mount-silver.jpg

Right - shot out and prototyped a TV stand - will post pics tonight. Decided swivel bit was not needed so just bolts to the dash. Quite happy with result - although it's rough I think it will do what I want when it has the velcro on it

Well I've ordered one of these... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-MINI-1035NR-1035-NR-NOTEBOOK-CAR-KIT-MOUNT-HOLDER-PC_W0QQitemZ370195433620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL?hash=item56315e0894&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I'll be removing the suction cup and working out another way of mounting it to the dash.

mike

ps.

Any ideas on how to charge it up when driving ? Preferably without using an inverta.

Now thats a good idea. I could do with one of those. Although a have a meter or velcro... hmmm.

Rough as a badger's Rse but I am pretty pleased so far. :)

Note that it is offset to the left to give a little more space for my hand to move from wheel to stick:

gallery_3439_704_6952.jpg

The view from beneath:

gallery_3439_704_57102.jpg

The overall affect:

gallery_3439_704_84888.jpg

With the netbook square on I can still see the map ok even in sunlight, however it is better twisted towards me. There is enough room for this and with Nick's velcro fastening I can put it about 15% either side of square.

ps - if anyone can tell me why my pictures and smiley's don't work, I would appreciate it..

notebook batteries need the right input to charge. you're stuck with a small inverter i'm afraid.

but you can get really really really small ones though - enough to power a laptop

http://www.dabs.com/products/psa-parts-universal--with-uk-plug--44JG.html

44jg_large.jpg

Any universal travel charger for laptops will do. No inverter needed.

Rough as a badger's Rse but I am pretty pleased so far. :)

Note that it is offset to the left to give a little more space for my hand to move from wheel to stick:

gallery_3439_704_6952.jpg

The view from beneath:

gallery_3439_704_57102.jpg

The overall affect:

gallery_3439_704_84888.jpg

With the netbook square on I can still see the map ok even in sunlight, however it is better twisted towards me. There is enough room for this and with Nick's velcro fastening I can put it about 15% either side of square.

ps - if anyone can tell me why my pictures and smiley's don't work, I would appreciate it..

They should work?

Done that ;)

Strangely - I can see the pictures in Philip Tonkin's reply, but not in my original post where only the address appears. This doesn't happen on other forums so I don't think that it is the browser, but I have tried FireFox and IE too with no change.

Anyway - To prevent further hijack of this thread I will post the question in the "site upgrade questions section". Thanks for the replies!

Roger

Well it's arrived. The mount I mean..This one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-MINI-1035NR-1035-NR-NOTEBOOK-CAR-KIT-MOUNT-HOLDER-PC_W0QQitemZ370195433620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL?hash=item56315e0894&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The swan neck is shorter than I expected...at first looks I think it'll do the job without a lot of modification.

All I'm waiting for now is the netbook....

mike

Dell have delivered today. Wow...

The Dell doesn't fit on the stand. This stand,http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-MINI-1035NR-1035-NR-NOTEBOOK-CAR-KIT-MOUNT-HOLDER-PC_W0QQitemZ370195433620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL?hash=item56315e0894&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14, despite what the seller said..

Back to square one.

mike