IVA - Whats to know

Aragorn

So becuase i'm a thwack it looks like my build is going to need an IVA test once finished.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what if anything i need to do for this?

Is it just a case of an MOT on steriods when IVA'ing a production car like this? I realise that for kitcars you need to ensure all the switches and buttons and things are compliant, but i doubt that will be an issue given that the landrover is a type approved vehicle?

Anyone thats been thru a test and can give any advice that would be great!

Cheers

Kev

I baught the chassis from a company on ebay as a New Genuine LR chassis that had been Galved.

They didnt provide me any receipts to that effect and the DVLA want proof of manufacture for the chassis, ie an official receipt from landrover or richards or whomever.

I naively didnt think to ask at the time, as i didnt realise vehicles had to actually be re-registered for a chassis change, and now, 2 years on, there aint much i can do as all i have is the paypal receipt for the ebay auction.

An IVA is going to be cheaper than buying another new chassis...

What he said ^^^^^ before you go worrying about buying another chassis or IVA'ing (now called SVA and different) take the question to the office. I take it the chassis wasnt registered and plated, as you dont mention using the chassis' registration...

I'll have a look see if i can find my link to the online SVA manual...if you really want...

Edit:

Here you go...bedtime reading for you...

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/IVA-Inspection-Manual-for-M1-Passenger-Cars-V3.2.pdf

261pages :blink: If this doesnt send you to sleep nothing will!!

Isnt SVA the old name and IVA the new name?

The chassis was sold to me as new, so doesnt have any ID. The guy had a workshop full of landrovers and said he does a lot of insurance work. He said something like he'd baught the chassis for some rebuild but the customer pulled the plug so he was left with the chassis and therefore was selling it on. Who knows if thats true, but the chassis certainly looks new and theres no signs of ground off numbers or suchlike.

I've not spoken to the local office, and i guess it would be wise to have a chat with them. I'll print off the receipt i have and take it down and see what they think. I just dont know if it will be enough to satisfy them, as it basically shows the amount paid (£650) and the short item description from the ebay auction "Gen Land Rover Defender TD5 90 galvanised chassis". Its not on company headed paper or owt, its just the output from paypal. It does list the company name under sellers ID, so its not all bad i guess.

The trucks nowhere near ready for inspection, and i think i need to basically complete it and take it down to them for them to look over it, but i guess i could have a chat with them in the mean time.

I just fear the worst for things like this, as its always my luck that things like this go wrong. Bit like the engine i baught "complete" only for it to turn up missing its starter, AFM, lambda sensors, coil drivers and other parts which are going to cost upwards of £500 new in total. Hopefully i can pick up some of them second hand!

Cheers

What he said ^^^^^ before you go worrying about buying another chassis or IVA'ing (now called SVA and different) take the question to the office. I take it the chassis wasnt registered and plated, as you dont mention using the chassis' registration...

Er ......Wrong

Its was Points / Q then SVA and Now IVA

alos the existing LR has an identity, and the chassis number than has is PART of that identity.

If the Galv Chassis is a NEW chassis that has been galved and has no identity AND you have proof + Bill of sale

DVLA may accept this as a new chassis onto your current LR without anymore issues, However

if the glav chassis is secondhand, and has its OWN identity via a chassis number than your CAN't use that identity

ie new = OK, 2nd hand (Glaved or not) not transferable to your identity, and as a chassis on its own can't

have that identity used or "Mixed" with yours. That would be IVA, which is different to the SVA with some

improvments and some thing more tricky.

There are memebrs here who have 1st hand experience of SVA, some succesfull and some not,

there is a vast amount of info on here, use the search function and your knowledge will grow with each read

Nige

If the Galv Chassis is a NEW chassis that has been galved and has no identity AND you have proof + Bill of sale

DVLA may accept this as a new chassis onto your current LR without anymore issues, However

if the glav chassis is secondhand, and has its OWN identity via a chassis number than your CAN't use that identity

ie new = OK, 2nd hand (Glaved or not) not transferable to your identity, and as a chassis on its own can't

have that identity used or "Mixed" with yours. That would be IVA, which is different to the SVA with some

improvments and some thing more tricky.

I'm aware that a 2nd hand chassis means losing the ID.

I emailed them earlier in the week, and they told me if the chassis was new and i was using at least two major components from the original vechicle such as suspension axles transmission engine etc then it would keep its original ID. They wouldnt comment on the receipt issue though, and simply said contact the local office.

So technically it shouldnt be a problem, as i'm using the original axles, suspension arms, steering gear, transmission, etc. The only new components are the engine, lots of bodywork (which doesnt seem to count) and the chassis. My problem simply comes down to lack of documentary evidence that its a new chassis. So even though its new, i dont have a nice shiney receipt from landrover/richards/marsland etc to say so. To quote their email:

You will be asked to produce official receipts from identifiable suppliers for the components used in a rebuild. The authenticity of receipts may be checked. They will be stamped by the DVLA Local Office before return

I will need to try and pop in to see the Local Office, its over in preston though, so not sure when i'll manage to get over there though :(

Cheers