what diameter synthetic?

gelf

I use 10mm Dyneema on the Milemarker because that is what Bowyers (purveyor of chocolate shackles to the off roading fraternity :ph34r:) advised, I was going to go with 9mm but he said 10 to be safe. I also ordered a couple of dyneemas through work, one for an X9 and one for an XD9000, and he also advised 10mm for those.

I think that maybe the breaking strains advertised are a bit on the optimistic side, given that many people seem to break them! never had a problem with mine though (touch wood).

I'd probably go for 9 rather than 8 or 10 if you want a bit more of a safety margin. I think the purple stuff comes as 9.5 or 11?

I think Steve's right BUT the X9 does have a shallow drum so you won't get much on. I've found 9.5mm is OK if treated gently. If your going to abuse it in a competitive situation I'd go for 11mm. I used 9.5 on my front winch (8274 + 6hp) and snapped it pretty quickly once the red mist set in. With 11 I've been fine.

Rope is far nicer on the hands than steel and when (in good condition) new it is incredibly strong.

9mm rope that is looked after is rated strong enough for the job.

I have used/abused 9mm and 11mm (Amsteel blue and Dynema) and have now ordered 12mm

If you belive you are lightly to abuse your rope (winch challenge etc) I highly recomend buying at least one if not 2 sizes larger than you require.

Rope is far nicer on the hands than steel and when (in good condition) new it is incredibly strong.

9mm rope that is looked after is rated strong enough for the job.

I have used/abused 9mm and 11mm (Amsteel blue and Dynema) and have now ordered 12mm

If you belive you are lightly to abuse your rope (winch challenge etc) I highly recomend buying at least one if not 2 sizes larger than you require.

Why not just run steel rope and change it every time it gets damaged.

I've personaly seen too many synthetic lines snap, i don't trust them!

Why not just run steel rope and change it every time it gets damaged.

I've personaly seen too many synthetic lines snap, i don't trust them!

In what conditions did the synthetic line snap?

Every time I have broken a rope I was doing something I shouldnt have been doing or I had been severely abusing the rope.

Did it cause any injuries?

I have seen synthetic and steel ropes "snap" and I am more than happy to pay extra and be able to walk away after standing too close to a synthetic rope snapping.

I do use steel on the rear as it is only used occasionaly but at a winch challenge it is not unusuall for my winch monkey to have to man handle the front rope 30 or more times in 6 hours and I will continue to buy rope for competition(regular) use and wire for occasional use.

In what conditions did the synthetic line snap?

Every time I have broken a rope I was doing something I shouldnt have been doing or I had been severely abusing the rope.

Did it cause any injuries?

I have seen synthetic and steel ropes "snap" and I am more than happy to pay extra and be able to walk away after standing too close to a synthetic rope snapping.

I do use steel on the rear as it is only used occasionaly but at a winch challenge it is not unusuall for my winch monkey to have to man handle the front rope 30 or more times in 6 hours and I will continue to buy rope for competition(regular) use and wire for occasional use.

I've had a lightly used 10mm bowrope snap at next to no load, it hadn't even started to pull the front suspension down.

And a "as new" 12 mm plasma snap when lowering down a bank, only the drivers quick thinking (by steering into a tree) saved his co driver.

Both were under very little load and gave no warning.

We've had a few snap were the use had been bordering on abuse, but in the same situations wire rope wouldn't have broken (in my opinion).

I have "bitched" on a few events when we've had to use wire rope, and it wasn't too bad on the hands and wire doesn't "cut through" as much either making it easier to power out.

Well I had my 10mm Bowrope with the front end bottomed out and the back end nigh on lifting off the ground the other day, trying to shift something, and it didn't snap...

Maybe there is a quality issue with some bits of rope? there seem to be a lot of stories of it snapping but I have the impression I ought to have broken mine several times and I haven't!

i have 11mm Dyneema on the 8274(std motor) and 10mm(Bowmotor) on the Husky.

no problems with either to date

I think the key to getting rope to last is to wash it after every event,

A friend of mine used to break his front rope every event (12mm from rufftracks), he's now gone to 14mm and machine washes it after every event and it's taken seven events to break it. and even then it snapped inside the spice at the hook. which says to me it's abrasion from mud within the rope thats weakening it.

It also seems to stay a lot "thicker", rope seems to look like dental floss after a bit of hard use, washing seems to bring it back to normal again.

snapped mine 3 times it is still on the vehicle

1 time winching a flower pot up a slope cut through after having said flower pot crush against a stump

1 time rope slipped in the snatch block And snapped

Lastly tring to winch th 90 sideways with the rope on the tyre snapped it again.

Respliced and as good as ever.

Wire is so last century and dangerous IMHO

The ability to fix a broken rope in the field in less than 5 minutes is one of the things I really like about plasma, I have thankfully not needed to do it yet, but I know that if I do break one I can fix it and carry on trying to get out rather than it being an "oh F what am I going to do now" moment - which I have had with a broken wire rope before.

Steve it was a huge flower pot with wisteria in it weighing 200kg+

Val wanted it by the summer house

the pot is still where if fell the plant survived

Ah I see.

Maybe I can justify the expense of a winch on the fact that it's for the garden! ;)

Steve :)