Expedition sutable springs

Alright all,

My 90 has a 3 inch lift kit, 3 degree castor adjusted radius arms etc. It was previously built as a mud plugger, i'm giving it some long overdue TLC and wanting to change it to be more of an expedition orientated vehicle.

The present suspension set-up looks impressive but doesn't cut the mustard when you load it up, the world of springs and shocks is a new topic for me. so looking for some pointers.

I believe the radius arms I have got presently are suitable for lift kits from 1 - 3 inch, to save me from having to buy new original ones again, I'd be wanting to look at lowering it an inch or 2 and making it a bit stiffer to be able to cope with some load without wallowing too much.

Has anyone any suggestions for set of springs and shocks? or able to point me in a suitable direction as to where to start?

Thanks

The easiest, cheapest and some say the best set up would be to return it to genuine springs and OEM shocks, if you are intending to load it heavily, then use the LR HD springs and consider a gas shock, theres no need for a lift at all, it will only make it more wallowy as you are raising the centre of gravity, put the standard bits back on and ebay the lift kit, someone will buy it :rolleyes:

My 110 is built with expeditions in mind, I use standard HD springs and decarbon shocks, I have a husky and 'HfH' weight bumper, and a galv chassis...

Just my 2p worth

Mike

The easiest, cheapest and some say the best set up would be to return it to genuine springs and OEM shocks, if you are intending to load it heavily, then use the LR HD springs and consider a gas shock, theres no need for a lift at all, it will only make it more wallowy as you are raising the centre of gravity, put the standard bits back on and ebay the lift kit, someone will buy it :rolleyes:

My 110 is built with expeditions in mind, I use standard HD springs and decarbon shocks, I have a husky and 'HfH' weight bumper, and a galv chassis...

Just my 2p worth

Mike

Hmm, I had thought about that, but I've got 265/75/R16's on at the moment, I'd be worried about getting full tire clearance if i dropped it back down to its original height?

Also, I've got a Salisbury rear axel, will i have to fit 110 spec'ed springs or can I use 90's?

I'm not necessarily looking at the cheapest option, I'm building this with the view to take it on some long trips (months...long) I need this machine to keep working well and reliably. I don't want to be buying twice.

I've got OME's on mine, work out your weights and where its mostly going. Mine was with very heavy load in the back so went as like this:

1" HD on the front and 1" extra HD on the rear.

Ride is a little rough but when loaded there is very little sag so you retain the slight lift, but the springs then start working very well. However since my exped is cancelled i may well put 1" HD on the back as they will still cope perfectly with the weight I do carry.

If you do decide to go OME i would recommend Gywn lewis any time, the man knows his stuff!

Hmm, I had thought about that, but I've got 265/75/R16's on at the moment, I'd be worried about getting full tire clearance if i dropped it back down to its original height?

Also, I've got a Salisbury rear axel, will i have to fit 110 spec'ed springs or can I use 90's?

I'm not necessarily looking at the cheapest option, I'm building this with the view to take it on some long trips (months...long) I need this machine to keep working well and reliably. I don't want to be buying twice.

I'm pretty certain 265/75/R16 is a standard Land Rover size as supplied with some vehicles anyhow. It's around 31" or so.

I take it you've got 90 rear springs fitted ? if so you can't fit 110 springs as they are a different size.

You have a 100? did you convert/build is yourself? what benefit do you get over a 90?

What oter mods have you done to make it a usable expedition vehicle

Yes i have a 100" defender, built myself to give more storage space inside over a 90, but still not loose out on off road ability and town driving / parking practicality. On really need a roof tent and organised rear storage for the little traveling it's done so far.

Thanks for all the advice, i think the reverting to original spec with HD springs will be the next step.

Another question... is there a difference in length between the front springs L and R, or have I been reading things and getting the totally wrong end of the stick?