Challenge truck

red90 driver

:ph34r:

So what was it that broke it then Pete.... :ph34r:

Technicaly nothing broke :ph34r:

Rear trailing arm top link bent when we rolled & ARB line melted from too much air pressure/ heat from engine bay.

Then i had a dead Wookie & a **** driver :D

Mind you it was the 1st time i had driven it :)

no such thing as a right answer.

go for a small super light 80" and never get a problem in tight sections and drive around things that bigger motors have to shunt and winch through. But you end up winching across ditches and other things that can be driven by longer trucks. BUT its so small and light the twin motor winch will pull you through at lightning speed

go for a long bigger truck and cross ditches and climb much better, but spend half your time adding sliders and protection to help shove small forests out of the way and rigging up fancy winching to pull you round tight sections. Plus you'll be alot heavier so you'll sink more and your winches have more weight to pull and work slower.

exactly the same sort of considerations for RTV as well, big gets a shunt and can climb over obstacles better - but can be a right bitch/barge on tighter stuff.

personally I love the little zukes. They seem to be getting more and more popular in the UK challenges - jimny with yota axles and a V6 auto from a grandvit shoehorned in would be lovely-jubbly.

no such thing as a right answer.

go for a small super light 80" and never get a problem in tight sections and drive around things that bigger motors have to shunt and winch through. But you end up winching across ditches and other things that can be driven by longer trucks. BUT its so small and light the twin motor winch will pull you through at lightning speed

go for a long bigger truck and cross ditches and climb much better, but spend half your time adding sliders and protection to help shove small forests out of the way and rigging up fancy winching to pull you round tight sections. Plus you'll be alot heavier so you'll sink more and your winches have more weight to pull and work slower.

exactly the same sort of considerations for RTV as well, big gets a shunt and can climb over obstacles better - but can be a right bitch/barge on tighter stuff.

personally I love the little zukes. They seem to be getting more and more popular in the UK challenges - jimny with yota axles and a V6 auto from a grandvit shoehorned in would be lovely-jubbly.

I agree with small trucks being better in tight forests.

The question really is what events do you want to do ???

Do Tay or Croatia etc & a small truck wont stand a chance of keeping up !!

Also power to weight is a factor as long as your drive train will take it !!

Turning circle is also bodywork and axle geometry related in our sport!

In Ireland the other year Dieter from D&G in his what is now Seff's "Fire Ant" tube chassis 104" WB buggy was out turning us, out foresting us, out hilling, out descending, out maneuvering and basically making us look even stupider than we are! in Ced's 90!

He was just wiggling through the trees, using axle articulation etc to effectively shorten his wheelbase, Imagine the axle half way up a tree! the path of the radius arms effectively shorten that side of the truck! Interesting to watch! **** to compete against!

Lara

Turning circle is also bodywork and axle geometry related in our sport!

In Ireland the other year Dieter from D&G in his what is now Seff's "Fire Ant" tube chassis 104" WB buggy was out turning us, out foresting us, out hilling, out descending, out maneuvering and basically making us look even stupider than we are! in Ced's 90!

He was just wiggling through the trees, using axle articulation etc to effectively shorten his wheelbase, Imagine the axle half way up a tree! the path of the radius arms effectively shorten that side of the truck! Interesting to watch! **** to compete against!

Lara

Add 4 wheel steer & 500hp & its even more fun :D

hmm, sorry to hear that Pete, I had kinda hoped that the fugly was a trade off for light

I dont know about UK stuff but anything longer than about 105" out east is a logging truck, regardless of 4 wheel steer - they simply cannot drive forest fast enough.

hmm, sorry to hear that Pete, I had kinda hoped that the fugly was a trade off for light

I dont know about UK stuff but anything longer than about 105" out east is a logging truck, regardless of 4 wheel steer - they simply cannot drive forest fast enough.

Whats yours way all kitted & drivered up then ???

Never had problem with Lenght on any European event so far the longer wheel base helps cover the gfround better especially with triple Bypass etc .

Well until engine went bang anyway. :D

Always a trade off when you do lots of different type of evenst not just 1 a year .

You still got Mouse or building something else ??

Whats yours way all kitted & drivered up then ???

Never had problem with Lenght on any European event so far the longer wheel base helps cover the gfround better especially with triple Bypass etc .

Well until engine went bang anyway. :D

Always a trade off when you do lots of different type of evenst not just 1 a year .

You still got Mouse or building something else ??

Nah, building new stuff, seriously though - thats not light by a long shot. But I guess its not an issue for you because you're not allowed out East?

Did you pay a lot for it? My wife said something about you making reference to Western European "bought not built" straight axled buggies costing 60-100k and I thought she must have been on the gin :ph34r: thats gotta be pony surely?

Nah, building new stuff, seriously though - thats not light by a long shot. But I guess its not an issue for you because you're not allowed out East?

Did you pay a lot for it? My wife said something about you making reference to Western European "bought not built" straight axled buggies costing 60-100k and I thought she must have been on the gin :ph34r: thats gotta be pony surely?

Didn't say its light that wasnt what it was all about i have built what i want to drive for the next 15 years or so not just 1 event & sell it.

Notice you didnt reply about what yours weighs full kitted with C0-driver etc {exclude wifes weight if you like}

I'snt Croatia ,Romania ,Translvania Russian enough for you ??? It was a few years or was at least when i was in the Army :D

Yep Buggy cost about that but when you buy parts not scrounge or beg them thats what it cost mortals like us.

Guess we are onto the cheque book offroading issue again then ??? :(

Not sure if anyone knows or not but Pete and Wookie both worked a hell of a lot on the build! and when they both live over 500 kilometers away from the where it was happening that is a hell of an achievement! Seriously! one of the reasons for Pete and Andy not having so much fun on their inaugural event was the fact that they had been working flat out for over 48 hours non stop and then without sleep, drove non stop from Belgium to Wales to compete in the Baskaville challenge. That ain't cheque book! But it didn't stop things costing a lot either :lol:

And remember Pete lives by my old moto "It doesn't matter if you die, as long as you look good doing it" And honestly that is all that counts!! We all die and I too would rather do it looking good!! ;)

Lara

[Micheal Winner voice] calm down dear..[/Micheal Winner voice]

I was merely trying to work out how much these companies in Western europe charge for a turn key buggy because its something we are comtemplating doing on a professional basis. We build on budget and on time, we have NEVER missed a deadline yet and despite having no shakedown time our stuff doesnt break.

I have no issue with "bought not built" because those that buy provide a living for those that build - simple.

But.. if you want to get into a Morrisey'esqe downer contest about mortality then mark myself, everyone I know and pretty much 99% of the population down as "sub-mortals" we simply cant affort to blow 100k on a toy. If that provides some form of moral highground for you then knock yourself out and enjoy the view, because quite frankly I genuinely dont give a monkeys :lol: . Im proud to be a member of a team, we punch way above our weight because we pull together, if you are asking me to feel bad being in that position then forget it

Im sure Laras bang on and you did lots of driving, that makes the cost even more interesting, but that comment leaves me even more intreagued, why did you have to?

To answer your weight question, thats easy - we are a race team, competitive advantages are hard won and easily lost.

so big hugs, you like it - thats all that matters :)

Horses for courses

All the builds are a credit to their builders/owners however they come about.

lots of people can't build but can buy, nothing wrong with either

all are a credit and exciting to see in progress/action.

Lets not have a spat amongst people with the same interests please.

For the record I can't build or buy any of these incredible machines but I love to see them created and used like many people on here.

[Micheal Winner voice] calm down dear..[/Micheal Winner voice]

I was merely trying to work out how much these companies in Western europe charge for a turn key buggy because its something we are comtemplating doing on a professional basis. We build on budget and on time, we have NEVER missed a deadline yet and despite having no shakedown time our stuff doesnt break.

I have no issue with "bought not built" because those that buy provide a living for those that build - simple.

But.. if you want to get into a Morrisey'esqe downer contest about mortality then mark myself, everyone I know and pretty much 99% of the population down as "sub-mortals" we simply cant affort to blow 100k on a toy. If that provides some form of moral highground for you then knock yourself out and enjoy the view, because quite frankly I genuinely dont give a monkeys :lol: . Im proud to be a member of a team, we punch way above our weight because we pull together, if you are asking me to feel bad being in that position then forget it

Im sure Laras bang on and you did lots of driving, that makes the cost even more interesting, but that comment leaves me even more intreagued, why did you have to?

To answer your weight question, thats easy - we are a race team, competitive advantages are hard won and easily lost.

so big hugs, you like it - thats all that matters :)

Wahts with the whooo is me bit & we punch way about our weight bit ?? you got just as much money or time as everyone else. I know it a Russian immigrant thing to feel hard done bye & all English are lazy rich fat person I'm not that keen on {ok im fat} but mate your English if you have forgotten :rolleyes:

To stick up for what seems like a dig at Dieter .I kept adding / changing the truck so thats my fault :blink:

I kept going out to make sure it fitted me, & i knew how it worked /how to repair it in the field doesnt that make sense??

Like you Jez i dont care /get upset about what other people say .It was just you started the digging like you normally do with Jim.

Seems to me the way you rate Eastern Europe i cant see why you live in the **** part of it as nearly every post / article i read about you seem to down our side ??

Still not answered the weight question yet then???

Is it a Fying Bunch of spanners question from the secret Disney club lab secret :D

Need to borrow some scales??

60-100k on a chuffin buggy? even i could build one cheaper than that!

I appreciate that some people have no idea where to start building a truck/buggy/offroader and therefore they pay WAY over the odds for a relatively simple machine. These same people are also won over by orange paint.

Jez is right, who on earth has that much money to spend on a truck? i mean you have to be seriously well off.

I quite understand why Jez doesnt post on this forum much anymore, same reason i have stopped coming here quite so often.